PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon powders - Why Can't I Find Them ?

Bonz
05-02-2014, 09:14 PM
From the Hodgdon Website:

Why can’t I find Hodgdon powders? (Revised April, 2014)

Hodgdon Powder Company continues to experience unprecedented demand for all smokeless powder. This demand has created a world-wide powder shortage.
Powder manufacturers are ramping up as safely as possible. As you know, it is not easy to safely ramp up a powder manufacturing plant. At Hodgdon Powder Company, we have been working overtime since the demand spike started.

We know that eventually the increased manufacturing will ease the shortage of smokeless powder. We continue to ship powder for your reloading at volume way above historic levels.

(original posting)

As you have seen, ammunition and reloading components – including all Hodgdon powders – are hard to find. Dealer shelves that used to hold cans of powder are empty. Here are answers to your questions straight from Hodgdon.

Q: Are you still making powders?
A: We are shipping more powder this year than we shipped last year. We are shipping as fast as the powder is available. The real problem why you are seeing empty shelves is demand. The demand for powder (and all ammunition and components) is far greater than the supply from the manufacturers. We just cannot make enough to feed this demand right now. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do.

Q: Are you still in business?
A: Yes, Hodgdon is here for the long haul. We are doing everything we can to supply our powders. Dealer’s shelves are empty because powders are being purchased as soon as they arrive at the Dealer’s stores.

Q: What is causing this high demand?
A: The current political climate can have the regulatory consequence of impacting law abiding, hardworking shooters and hunters. This has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products resulting in empty shelves, long back-orders, and on-line auction sites asking exaggerated prices.

bangerjim
05-02-2014, 10:04 PM
That is the only brand I see in my area! Alliant is non-existant. And the gold-plated "V" brand is there.

banger

Love Life
05-02-2014, 11:55 PM
That can't be right. Everybody knows that the govt. is buying up all the powder. An answer as simple as supply and demand is simply unacceptable.

HARRYMPOPE
05-03-2014, 12:18 AM
Hoarders with lots of cash and online/gunshow resellers are the problem.Kind of like the "flip that house" show my wife watches when some dufus with money buys a house in a hot market,paints and landscapes it and makes $100,000 profit in two months.

If people keep paying the price you cant fault the seller.

TNsailorman
05-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Reloaders panicked when the current president was elected and started saving up powder far beyond their real needs and the rush was on. I know one or two fellows that will buy any powder they can find(4831, 4064, H414, etc.) on the chance that they can trade it for powder they actually use or make a profit on it. If I don't need it, it will sit there for someone else. But the shelves are still empty around here for anything but Vih., Norma, etc. that most people don't use. If you shoot .50 cal. there is no shortage of powder or components, if you shoot 30-06, good luck. I know 2 individuals who got so tired of not being able to get what they wanted they sold their guns and supplies and one took up golf, and one bicycle riding. Prices are also going sky high because of the gouging that is going on. My worry is that the combination of a double whammy(short supply and high prices) is going to really hurt our sport in the future. If it gets to the point that the cost of shooting is out of the reach of the average guy, then gun ownership will disappear and with it the right to even own a firearm. And if the current situation in Ukraine escalates, the Russian components that shooters have been buying will be embargoed and the supply will get even worse. Right now at least, the picture is not good.