PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy of surplus ammo

grumpy one
01-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Not sure this topic belongs on this list, but it crops up occasionally. I have a supply of milsurp 30-06 ammo (British-made Kynoch brand, Berdan primed, made by ICI in 1954), and accuracy is pretty awful - groups average 2.8" at 55 yards using my 1953 FN mauser, ex-Columbian army (average of 4 groups, maximum 3.1", minimum 2.5"). As an experiment I transferred both powder and projectiles to some well-used neck-sized Winchester cases with PMC primers. I used a Lee FCD to crimp into the original cannelure, but didn't apply sealing lacquer. Using the same rifle, group size dropped to 1.3". I repeated using the Kynoch projectiles with 58 grains of H4350 instead of the 52.7 grains of some ICI flake powder used originally. Group size dropped further to 1.1". I repeated the 58 grains of H4350, but used a Sierra 150 grain flat-nose bullet. Group size was 1.2".

It seems for this particular milsurp ammunition there is nothing much wrong with powder or projectile, but the case or priming is letting the side down. I'm thinking about transferring the rest of my stock into Boxer cases and disposing of the Kynock brass.

Larry Gibson
01-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Before you just salvage the bullets and powder slightly (doesn't take much) seat the bullets deeper to just break the sealant. I've found that the inconsistant neck tension caused by the sealant of some older milsurp ammo is what causes the inaccuracy. Just try 10 rounds; if it works it works and if it doesn't then nothing really lost.

Larry Gibson

Buckshot
01-07-2008, 04:42 AM
.................Very possibly indifferent storage as affected the primer. Any hangfires? Probably not as I'm sure you'd have mentioned that! :-)

................Buckshot

grumpy one
01-07-2008, 06:24 PM
I've never had a hangfire or any other malfunction from this ammunition except that once a case blew through the extractor groove. It was a bit odd since the fault was more or less just a crack - barely visible. However it was enough to produce a puff of gas and a wild shot.

The primers seem to fire properly, as far as I can tell.