PDA

View Full Version : Swaging Dies - I think!

rodom
05-02-2014, 05:58 PM
First let me start by saying I'm new to this forum. I had heard of the "CastBoolits" forum from other members at the 1911 forum I am a member at, but never thought about casting my own. I was lucky enough to be the beneficiary of an old friend's father passing away. His Dad was an old time reloader and caster. My friend kept some of the treasure, but gave me a lot of old dies and what I believe to be swaging dies. There are 3 dies I believe to size lead wire to .308 spec. They are maked .3095, .309 and .308. There are several other dies that I have no clue about other than several appear to be "cups" used to form bullet tips. There is a spitzer style piece, a flat point type and a hollow point cup. The shaft of each fits into a base that would fit into the bottom ram of a reloading press. there are several others that as I said I have no idea about. I know that pictures would help, but all I have is my cell phone for a camera so I don't know how good the images might be. The "booty" I received had several cans of gunpowder, some of it I'm sure is no longer in production, along with a small wooden box containing what appear to be .30 cal gas checks. Several different sizes of pouring laddels for casting, and primers so old I have never seem packageing like them before. Since I'm 61, this stuff must be very old, I'm guessing at 40's or maybe '50's at best. Also in the box was several old reloading die sets, out of date items like .218 Bee, .220 swift and other long ago favorites. A Herter's primer pocket swaging die - minus the "button" for the primer pocket - and some other wonderful small items that reveal that my friends Dad was a dyed in the wool gunner. Any help on the swaging dies would be greatly appreciated and all questions will gladly be responded to.

dragonrider
05-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Welcome, pictures speak volumes, cell phone or not. What powders did you get. Much help here available for that also.

Cane_man
05-02-2014, 10:51 PM
ya pics for sure, lots of guys on here know whats up and can let you know what you have

rodom
05-03-2014, 02:58 PM
The powders were Hi Vel#2, Hi Skor, A500 and Alcan AL8. I'll take some pictures, but how do I post them here? Any restrictions?

groot nadine
05-09-2014, 06:57 PM
Hi Vel #2, discontinued, oh, about 1960??

runfiverun
05-09-2014, 07:41 PM
alcan#8 was discontinued later than that.
it's a magnum type handgun powder along the lines of 2400 or thereabouts.
the hi-skor should have another number behind it but I'd bet it's pretty fast [about bullseye speed]