PDA

View Full Version : Lee Powder thru the Expander issue

prickett
05-02-2014, 11:15 AM
I'm having a problem with my .45 ACP Lee Powder through the Expander die. It seems like I have only two choices: no belling of the mouth or a seam resulting around the case about half way down - depending on how far I screw the die into the press.

Currently it gives almost no belling. If I adjust it at all (hoping to bell more), it then causes the seam around the middle of the case. I've disassembled the die to make sure everything looks correct and to clean. All appears good.

What's going on?

trixter
05-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Wow that is a new one on me, does the inner sleeve move up and down freely? If so then check the rounded portion (bottom) of it the cone part, polish the cone part until it is chrome-like; but that usually helps it release after belling. I have not had this particular thing happen. Good luck in your quest. You might call Lee and maybe they will have a suggestion, their technicians have been very helpful to me.

gunoil
05-02-2014, 07:28 PM
I take mine to machine shop and make em the way i want. I like to turn em into step dies like RCBS & mrbulletfeeder.biz expander dies.

Blk one is rcbs:
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/1DBC1BE7-3544-43F8-8614-CD8CAFB909EF-1426-000007B3AB952119_zps2b77b893.jpg

Dillon 650 right 1050 left:
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/null_zps9c53b006.jpg

- I intend to live forever... So far, so good.

blikseme300
05-02-2014, 08:06 PM
The stock Lee expanders are only suited for jaxeted. OP, check your inbox.

Le Loup Solitaire
05-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Lee expanders (powder through) must/have to bell cases....it may have been cut undersize. If in fact it is too small then you can't make it bigger so I would send it back to Lee with an explanation and they will send you a new one. The expanders are not mysterious machine shop marvels and can be readily made in/by a machine shop, but since Lee has a good warrantee, they will make things right for you. LLS

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-02-2014, 09:35 PM
I use the 45 colt powder through expander die insert for 45 acp.

VHoward
05-02-2014, 10:54 PM
The stock Lee expanders are only suited for jaxeted. OP, check your inbox.

I've used stock Lee powder through expander dies with cast bullets with no problems. Why do you think they are for jacketed bullets only?

enfieldphile
05-02-2014, 11:20 PM
A Big + 1! :confused: I have them for 38 cal, 44 cal & 45 cal, no problems here! Besides, most likely, Lee sells more molds then they other single maker. Why wouldn't they make thier expander for both?

I've used stock Lee powder through expander dies with cast bullets with no problems. Why do you think they are for jacketed bullets only?

Boogieman
05-02-2014, 11:39 PM
I'm having a problem with my .45 ACP Lee Powder through the Expander die. It seems like I have only two choices: no belling of the mouth or a seam resulting around the case about half way down - depending on how far I screw the die into the press.

Currently it gives almost no belling. If I adjust it at all (hoping to bell more), it then causes the seam around the middle of the case. I've disassembled the die to make sure everything looks correct and to clean. All appears good.

What's going on?
You could have an oversize expander [the bottom step] It should mic. .001 under boolit dia. or your sizer die could be too small. Does it happen with all brands of brass? Thick case walls can cause this also. I use Lee dies for 45ACP with lead boolits ,no problems

blikseme300
05-03-2014, 08:38 AM

They may work for some CB's but typically do so poorly. My statement is my opinion only based upon my own experience. The 9mmP Lee expander is a typical example of an expander that does not open up the brass enough so the case squeezes the boolit down in diameter if the alloy is not hard enough to resist this. Using the boolit to open up the case makes no sense to me as this causes inconsistency in boolit diameter and pressure differences due to inconsistent boolit retention due to differing case hardness. Some folks use expanders intended for other boolits to make things work while some others either buy after market expanders or make their own.

VHoward
05-03-2014, 10:34 AM
OK. 9mm is one of the calibers I had no problems with cast bullets on. 9mm, 357 magnum and 45 ACP no problems.

Moonie
05-07-2014, 01:49 PM
I will admit, the one for 9mm is pretty bad, I replaced mine with a 38 S&W and it works perfectly with cast. I've not had any issues with any other however, 45acp and colt, 400 corbon, 40, 44, 38/357 and I use a 30 luger expander for my 30 caliber rifle cartridges. All work great.