PDA

View Full Version : Grips for the Ruger 45 Colt Blackhwak

wildchild2010
05-02-2014, 10:38 AM
I was wondering what is a good set of comfortable grips for the Ruger Blackhawk and 45 colt. The wood grips just feel sorta funny.

contender1
05-02-2014, 10:48 AM
I'm a long time owner of many Ruger SA six-guns! The wood grips are generally preferred by many to allow the handgun to recoil by rolling a bit in the hand. But, comfort is different for each individual. Some folks prefer the rubber Pachmyers, but to others, it transfers the recoil energy into the hand too much. Again, personal preferences. However, some of us also enjoy custom made wood grips to fit our own hands & that seems to be the best of both worlds!
Just a few of my thoughts here.

Bohica793
05-02-2014, 10:49 AM
I bought a Hogue for mine. Absolutely love it.

Char-Gar
05-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Ruger factory wood grips have a bevel at the bottom which hurts my hand. I despise them, but I do like good wood grips. Grips that have flat bottoms don't hurt my hand and work much better for me.

Here is a pair of Craig Cary mesquite grips on my Flattop 45. They work very well for me.

sandman228
05-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Hogue mono grips. ive got them on both of my blackhawks ,my gp100, my 686, my 1911,so on, so on I put them on everything I own that there available for ,there comfortable and inexpensive you can get them for under 20 bucks in some cases under 15 . in my opinion the plastic grips on the newer blackhawks are very uncomfortable .the wood grips on the older ones look nice but not much better in my opinion .

Southpaw 72
05-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Look on fleabay for a set of herret grips. Made my OM Blackhawk more comfortable to shoot.

Moonie
05-02-2014, 02:48 PM
The Hogue are huge and ugly but OMG are they comfortable, even with the heavy Ruger only loads. My NMBH 45/45 convertible wears them.

Bullshop Junior
05-02-2014, 03:04 PM
I hate grips with finger grooves/slots. I have big hands so the grips that worked well for me were the pachmeyers.

ClemY
05-02-2014, 09:12 PM
I find I prefer Eagle Gunfighter grips. They are a bit thinner than the factory grips. For low recoil applications like CAS, I prefer smooth. For heavy recoil, I prefer smooth grips.

Minerat
05-02-2014, 09:28 PM
My 7.5" Super BH had Pachmyers but I went back to the original wood unless I am shooting hot loads then I switch back to the rubber grips. But 41 mag Blackhawk has rose wood grips with flat bases and it is easy on the hands. I like wood for the look.

lar45
05-03-2014, 01:06 AM
I'm gonna vote for the Houge Mono-Grip also.

woodsxdragon
05-03-2014, 01:10 AM
I also have the hogue grips on my BH

ReloaderFred
05-03-2014, 10:58 AM
I've put Altamont grips on almost all my Rugers. They're good looking, comfortable and affordable. Here's the link: http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/ruger/#Ruger_blackhawk.php

Hope this helps.

Fred

MtGun44
05-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Mine came (used) with some Sambar stag grips, which I was neutral to slightly
negative on when I first got it. I shot it with them for a while and was pleasantly
surprised that hot ".45 Magnum" level loads were very comfortable to shoot,
but didn't ponder on it much at the time.

A friend tried some of these hot loads in his stock Ruger and complained about the
recoil. Upon comparing his gun and mine, it was quite apparent that the stag grips
added about 1/8 or a bit more on each panel to the thickness, effectively doubling the
width of the flat area at the backstrap. This DRAMATICALLY reduces felt
recoil with hot loads and is highly recommended. I think any grips that have
this flat spot on the back, next to the grip frame will provide a large improvement
in comfort when shooting.

Bill

Changeling
05-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Bill did you like them as well as a set of Pakmayr grips?

bigted
05-05-2014, 01:27 AM
pachmyer presentation grips all the way. they are good with hot loads and nice for shooting day in and day out.

Rompin Ruger
05-05-2014, 08:53 PM
I have short fingers, nose, toes &... well, never mind.

But I apparently have wide palms and I need a palm swell to shoot well...Stickbows or handguns.

I bought 2 Ruger NMBH's and one had the cheeze grater grips the other slick small walnut. I got a friend with nice wood fall offs, to cut me out some to match a 1/16" thick plexiglass template I made for the Rugers.

I then spent about 20 hrs shaping, hand-fitting and fussin with 3 sets till I got 2 to fit the blue new, NMBH 45 colt convertable and one set (different location for the alignment holes for some reason) NMBH SS 45 colt.

I had to get a neighbor with a sanding disc for his table saw to reduce the stock panels from 3/4" to 1/2" to work them... had a devil's own time doing the escutcheon holes and thru holes cause like and idjut, I waited till they were "shaped" to drill them out...doh!

I won't be in a hurry to do any again! But they FIT! The black walnut fit the best, but unfortunately will NOT fit the SS 7.5" hunting rig! Drat!

Bagdadjoe
05-06-2014, 02:46 PM
This is a good example of how you need to fit your own hand. Several here like the Hogue grips and I couldn't wait to get rid of them. They sent the recoil straight up my arm to my elbow. I like smooth grips and a bit thinner rather than thicker. I just got a New Vaquero with the "cheese graters" and they will have to go as soon as I can get rid of them.

Rompin Ruger
05-06-2014, 03:28 PM
While i was sanding and filing and fitting and cussin, I looked in the drawer at the Cheese grater grips...took some 100 grit sandpaper to them...smoothed them up nicely! :mrgreen:

Back in the day when I could get out anywhere and shoot/hunt groundhogs, I had blocks inletted to my Colt Trooper .357 and did a covered backstrap. Being double action, that smoothed out recoil nicely and I added finger grooves.

I wish Jay Scott was still around (division of Colt industries I learned recently) who made "blanks" fitted to various guns. Got a set of oversize blanks for the Super Blackhawk in .44... shaped them to my liking and they're the bomb...also cover the whole backside of the grip frame...

I just don't have the tools to do that for these NMBH 45 colt I got...so I shaped to fit the frame like over sized plowhandle grips normally would, but with a palm swell.

What was interesting is that I really had to thin down the offside grip panel to feel right... with Tung oil finish, if I don't like it down the road, I can shape more and refinish easily.

Salmoneye
05-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Learn to make your own...

http://i43.tinypic.com/5frwk8.jpg

oldfart1956
05-06-2014, 10:27 PM
Love the Hogue Mono grips but bear in mind they are a rather large grip. Try before you buy! I have big hands and long fingers and wouldn't want them any thicker or I wouldn't be able to reach the trigger. If you do go with the Hogues here's a little tip. When you order the grips order a QD threaded sling mount along with it. The Hogue mounting screw is a weird thread...don't remember what it is. Take that little nut the screw goes into and replace it with a nut that threads on to the QD threaded sling mount. I think it's 10/24 or 10/32 but don't recall. (Heading for work and no time to look.) Now you can use a standard thread panhead screw to attach...or use the QD mount to add a lanyard ring. :) Handy for hunting! Cost is under $5. No drilling or tapping. Bowen sells this for $50. Go figger? Audie...the frugal Oldfart..

AlaskaMike
05-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Cary Chapman, CLC Custom Grips.

http://www.clccustomgrips.com/

gwpercle
05-07-2014, 08:43 PM
The ultimate in fit and looks....Herrett's Stocks Inc. , you order the grips in the style and wood you want, send in a tracing of your shooting hand and Steve Herrett will custom make a set to fit you and your gun . I only have a few, but they are awesome and really "fit". Sort of like a custom tailored suit as compared to an off-the-rack suit. Go to his web site, check em out.
Gary

Satokad
05-07-2014, 09:12 PM
The Hogue are huge and ugly but OMG are they comfortable, even with the heavy Ruger only loads. My NMBH 45/45 convertible wears them.
Please tell me how you got that grip to fit. I bought one, and it just doesn't get all the way on. I called Ruger and Hogue. They both said the Monogrip does not fit the NMBH.
Thanks.

oldfart1956
05-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Please tell me how you got that grip to fit. I bought one, and it just doesn't get all the way on. I called Ruger and Hogue. They both said the Monogrip does not fit the NMBH.
Thanks. Not Moonie but..Sato not sure of the issue with the grip not fitting as I have them on a New Model Blackhawk and a New Model Super Blackhawk. Go figger? When you get a chance go to www.rugerforum.com and in the Revolver section there's a sticky on Ruger Grip Frames Explained. A wealth of info there. If it's a used gun someone may have changed the grip frame. There's several grip frames that will fit (some modified) and even some aftermarket frames. Also Ruger at times used up old stock when changing models so it may have an odd grip frame. (explained in the forum mentioned) And mine aren't a perfect fit...some minor overlap on the back strap...seems to be common. Ohhh...and they can be a pain in the axe to get on...lotta wigglin' and jigglin' at times. Hope this helps. Audie...the Oldfart

Satokad
05-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Not Moonie but..Sato not sure of the issue with the grip not fitting as I have them on a New Model Blackhawk and a New Model Super Blackhawk. Go figger? When you get a chance go to www.rugerforum.com and in the Revolver section there's a sticky on Ruger Grip Frames Explained. A wealth of info there. If it's a used gun someone may have changed the grip frame. There's several grip frames that will fit (some modified) and even some aftermarket frames. Also Ruger at times used up old stock when changing models so it may have an odd grip frame. (explained in the forum mentioned) And mine aren't a perfect fit...some minor overlap on the back strap...seems to be common. Ohhh...and they can be a pain in the axe to get on...lotta wigglin' and jigglin' at times. Hope this helps. Audie...the Oldfart

Nope. Bought it new (45 Convertible) about a month ago. Thanks for the pointer on the Ruger forum. I will check it out.

MtGun44
05-08-2014, 12:54 AM
The only Pachmayr grips I have on a single action with stout recoil is some on
a SBH. I'd say the stag grips were maybe even better than the rubber grips,
and look a HECK or a lot better, at least to my eye. Not a huge stag grip
fan before this, actually thought about taking them off, thinking the plain
wood or something in more exotic wood would look nicer. No way I'd
change them now.

Bill

Tackleberry41
05-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Im on the fence about the Hogues I got from Midway yesterday. Recoil wise they are way better, but a bit big. I hate to shell out money for another set of grips, some are pretty expensive, only to find out dont like them either.

nicholst55
05-08-2014, 02:29 PM
I have a pair of spalted Maple grips from Private's Custom Grips (http://www.privatescustomgrips.com/Available.html) on mine, that replaced a set of too-thin Hogue's ebony grip panels. Great looking grips, excellent fit, and infinitely more comfortable when shooting heavy loads!

Salmoneye
05-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Private Schultz, and CaryC both do good work from what I have seen...

Rompin Ruger
05-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Corbin's site has some incredible data on it on fitting grips to varied frames and measuring.

Also Cary Chapman at http://www.clccustomgrips.com

I wanted a palm swell, so I figured I had to BUILD them to get them... lots of hours of hand work, but you get what you pay for... the professional wooden ones are incredible looking!

Moonie
05-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks.

I simply followed the directions that came with the grips. I did read that there could be issues but I had none.