PDA

View Full Version : ? about savage barrel threads

Bullshop
05-02-2014, 10:37 AM
I have an older Savage 110 action and a newer Stevens 200 action both with 30/06 bolt face and action length.
These are basically the same action with minor top difference. The Savage is round/flat and the Stevens is round/round for scope bases.
I have been seeing used barrels in 6.5/284 but I believe these barrels are the newer large shank diameter and my actions use the older small shank diameter.
So my question is this, do the two shank diameters use the same threading pitch? If yes then it should be possible to re-thread a large shank to small shank diameter by just chasing the thread and cutting the depth to the small shank diameter, yes?

Another issue may be the locking nut may interfere with the barrel diameter just in front of the threads but I guess that can be dealt with in a couple ways.

tomme boy
05-02-2014, 12:32 PM
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?127-Savage-Barrel-Shank-Sizes

Bullshop
05-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the link but it says I am not allowed there without logging in and I wont do that. I don't need anymore junk ail.

tomme boy
05-02-2014, 11:09 PM
In 2002 Savage began offering rifles in the Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) and Remington Ultra Magnum (RUM) calibers. When these were finally in the catalog, there was a change made to the barrel shank diameter. Standard barrel shank diameter on standard calibers are 1.055" x 20tpi. On the new WSM, RUM, and SAUM calibers the shank diameter is 1.120" x 20tpi. The barrel nut is also bigger in internal size, but is the same outer diameter and our barrel nut wrench will still fit. Savage also used this size of shank on the first version of the Model 10ML muzzleloader.

However, there were a few WSM and RUM rifles made on the standard barrel shank in the first production run. The best way to tell is to measure the barrel shank right against the nut. The larger barrel shank will have a step down approximately 1/8" ahead of the barrel nut. If your WSM or RUM rifle has a serial number with a "G" prefix, it is most probable it will have the larger shank.

Savage Barrel Shank Sizes - standard on left, large on right.

NOTE: The Model 12 LRPV's, Target Series rifles and Target actions use the large shank size. Due to the extra heavy barrel contour used on these rifles there is no "step" in the barrel as shown in the picture above.

The quickest way to determine what size the barrel shank is on your rifle is to measure the length of your barrel nut. Standard shank nuts are 7/8" (0.875") in length, whereas large shank nuts are 5/8" (0.625") in length.

Comparison of standard and large shank barrel nuts.

tomme boy
05-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Some pictures are missing but that is about it.

Bullshop
05-03-2014, 12:07 AM
This is a barrel being offered for sale at auction and I was told the shank miced 1.15" so must be large.
You did answer my question though in that both use a 20 tpi thread pitch so by chasing the original threads and cutting them deeper
a large can be converted to small shank. Might have to cut a short section in front of the threads to allow the smaller nut to fit. About a .010" step for half an inch forward of the threads.
OK so I know it will work so now I will watch for a cheap used barrel. It seems all the 6.5x284 barrels are large shank.

DLCTEX
05-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the link but it says I am not allowed there without logging in and I wont do that. I don't need anymore junk ail.

I am the same way. If it requires me to register I usually pass.