PDA

View Full Version : Boolet size

bandmiller2
05-02-2014, 08:28 AM
Would I be wrong taking a .309 30 cal lead slug and patching it for a .321 32 special. ?? Or would it be better to take a .321 squeeze it down then patch and resize.?? Thanks Frank C.

Nrut
05-02-2014, 09:46 AM
What is the bore size of your .32 Special?
​Bore not groove size..
Do you know the throat diameter?

If you know the above dimensions you will save yourself a lot of time by trying to fit the bullet to your rifle by trial and error..

The short answer to your question is to which is best, "to use a .309" bullet or size down a larger bullet?" is no on both counts..

The "best bullet" would be one that falls out of your mold at .001" to .002" over your bore size..
If you don't have such a mold then you would have to size down a bullet to just over bore diameter..
Note a bore rider bullet with a nose smaller than bore diameter isn't going to cut it as the paper covering the nose won't be cut by the lands..

You would then patch up your bullet to just under your throat size so that it engraves the patch..

All that info is in the sticky's above..

Nrut
05-02-2014, 10:59 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?193739-Shot-my-new-32-special-yesterday

Bullshop Junior
05-02-2014, 12:02 PM
I've been using both .309" and .313" bullets to patch up for my marlin 32 special. The .313" seem to shoot a little better.

Nrut
05-02-2014, 12:34 PM
BSJ,
What kind of groups are you getting with the .309 bullet?
Groups for the .313" ??

What is your bore size?

Bullshop Junior
05-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Mine slugs at a nice .321" and is a micro groove.

This is one of the last targets I shot out of this gun with a .309 patched bullet and a light charge of titewad. It shoots full power loads better.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/qete8ytu.jpg

Nrut
05-02-2014, 03:10 PM
.321" is your groove size I take it?
I asked what your is "bore size"..
Do you know?

That's what is import in determining what size your pre-wrapped bullet should be..

Is that 3" group you show at 100 yds.?
If so that isn't bad..
That's about all I can do these days with open sites..

It doesn't make sense that you got that good of a group according to conventional wisdom as shown in this forum..
So I'll ask some more questions..

Your pre-wrapped bullet was .309"
1. What was the diameter after you wrapped the bullet?
2. Did you load the wrapped bullet as "is" or did you size it down after wrapping?
3. What size if you did?
3. If so what size did you size it down to before you loaded the bullet in the case?
4. What is your alloy and it's BHN?
5. Was your .309" bullet a bore rider or Loverin style bullet?

Your answers might be helpful for loading smaller than bore size bullets in chambers that won't except bore + .001" bullets such as the 38-55..

TIA

Bullshop Junior
05-02-2014, 03:16 PM
.321" is your groove size I take it?
I asked what your is "bore size"..
Do you know?

That's what is import in determining what size your pre-wrapped bullet should be..

Is that 3" group you show at 100 yds.?
If so that isn't bad..
That's about all I can do these days with open sites..

It doesn't make sense that you got that good of a group according to conventional wisdom as shown in this forum..
So I'll ask some more questions..

Your pre-wrapped bullet was .309"
1. What was the diameter after you wrapped the bullet?
2. Did you load the wrapped bullet as "is" or did you size it down after wrapping?
3. What size if you did?
3. If so what size did you size it down to before you loaded the bullet in the case?
4. What is your alloy and it's BHN?
5. Was your .309" bullet a bore rider or Loverin style bullet?

Your answers might be helpful for loading smaller than bore size bullets in chambers that won't except bore + .001" bullets such as the 38-55..

TIA

I'm not sure the bore size. I just hammered a slug in it to see what the groove was.

Yes. That is at 100 yards.

I never measured the bullet as wrapped. I ran them into a .323" sizer.

Cast from 50/50 COWW/SOWW

I was shooting the lee 150gn fn.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/egete3ug.jpg

Nrut
05-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks..
Got to thinking that I have a three 9.3X57's (they were cheap, I couldn't help myself) that have tight necks in relation to their throat/groove size..
I'll try smaller than bore size pre-wrapped bullet in them also..