PDA

View Full Version : Is it really a SAECO No. 456 ?

texassako
05-01-2014, 11:58 PM
I took a bit of a chance on a buy it now auction for a SAECO dual cavity mold, but it seemed cheap($50) and had a good looking design. It is similar to the SAECO 301 but pointier, 1.24" long, weight is 210 gr with my monotype mix(basically linotype), I needed that mix to get a nose just big enough to engrave lightly at .299", drive bands are .309", meplat .1", and there is an odd little band(see pic) at the base that is slightly larger in diameter than the rest of the GC shank. Mold is the old style with no markings on the blocks, sprue plate is center pivot and says SAECO Custom Precision No. 456, and there is galling on the top of the blocks near the pivot screw with none on the sprue plate underside. I wonder what exactly I have since someone may have swapped the sprue plate. Holes are slightly off center from the cavity as well, and the tiniest I have ever cast with at .1". Anybody have an old catalog or info that might show if this is really a 456 or what it actually is? Casts an awesome looking bullet whatever it may be:

AlaskanGuy
05-01-2014, 11:59 PM
Got a pic of the actual mold???

texassako
05-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Got a pic of the actual mold???

I am not sure how they will help since the block are unmarked, but I did find where the galling came from when I took them. Sprue plate may not have been replaced, or not before the damage, and had been fixed. I think someone cranked sprue plate screw down hard forcing the block and plate to grind on each other when opening and closing.

The only labeling on the mold:

Now I see where the sprue plate rubbed on the blocks:

You can see the little extra band at the base was intentional when the cavities where cut, to perfect and square:

texassako
05-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Dimensions would be good for a K31!

I thought exactly that when I measured them. My wheel weight/range scrap mix dropped them about a thousandth smaller, and I immediately tossed them back in the pot and switched alloys. I had even been looking for one off and on until I found a decent replacement barrel for my Russian contract Winchester 1895. I don't know why so many mold makers cut the noses so small, but it can be frustrating at times.