PDA

View Full Version : Win M70: What did I buy?

376Steyr
05-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Stopped at the local gun shop today and found a used push-feed Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag at a very reasonable price. No box or tags, but the stock and metalwork were in fine shape and the hole in the barrel goes all the way through. Bought it and took it home, then hopped onto the internet to see exactly what variation it is. Sticker in the shop claimed it was a "Stealth" model, but I don't think so, as the Stealth's were higher end models. Checked the Winchester site, but can't find an exact match in the history section. What I have is:
Winchester Model 70
New Haven factory (so pre-2006 manufacture)
Matte finish on barrel and receiver
Push feed action
Blind magazine, no floorplate, action screws look like Phillips head
Injection molded stock with big "W" in the forend checkering panels

Did Winchester make some non-catalogued, low-end, Walmart-type specials towards the end of the New Haven plant?

Mumblypeg
05-01-2014, 11:47 PM
Could it be a RANGER model? I think they made one like that at one time.... almost bought one....

HollandNut
05-02-2014, 01:27 AM
My wife bought me that exact rifle in 7 mag around 2000-03 ish for Christmas , black injection molded stock .. And I always thought it was a 'Stealth' model as well , but never knew for sure .. And yeah it came from Wal Mart .. And I hope yours is better than mine was , I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it , if I put the muzzle against the barn .. And until you posted this , I have never seen or heard of another one like it .. WM had two options , 7 or 300 Winnie

Gtek
05-02-2014, 06:28 AM
The Stealth models came with an HS stock, what you have is a Shadow. Some were ok, some stinkers. Barrels were hit and miss and a new bedded stock will help.

nhrifle
05-02-2014, 08:02 AM
I wouldn't be too critical on what it is, unless out of pure curiosity. Darn fine rifle one way or the other, time to warm up the barrel!

Ben
05-02-2014, 08:26 AM
376Steyr

Photos would help everyone to offer help on identification .

Love Life
05-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Sounds like you bought a donor action.