PDA

View Full Version : Colt DA 45 Need Some Advice Please

woody13
05-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Ok so my friend has this Colt 45 DA and he wants to trade me for something I have and I would like some input on it by others here on the forum if you can help. So he puts this at a $650.00 trade value to him. I have done my research on it and it is not the one with the loop hole in the grip stock and marked on the bottom. I did take the grips off and saw that it was not marked at all with any engraving. So my issues when reading up on it says it might be one where Colt used the barrel from war time and put it on its frame to sell to the public. I really like the gun and want to have it to shoot .45 cast ACP with and enjoy but just not sure if its there for the value of having or in getting and shooting it. Thats why I am looking for a bit of input on what you guys might say here on the forum about it.

Info I can give as well as some pictures. It has United States Property stamped on bottom of the barrel. Top has Colts PTFA MFG. CO Hartford CT U.S.A
PAT D AUG 5, 1884 JUNE 5, 1900 JULY 4,1905. It has the serial numbers in the wheel area or cylinder area and the marking on the top left side of the frame which I think is HG or something along that line but on my research the inspectors stamp if I am correct.

I know some history on this and it has been in the family for a long time but all that he knows is it was his Grandfathers who was a cop and it was kept in on a shelf in the closet and rarely shot. It uses the moon clips and does not look like it was re-blued but it is very clean for its age and the rifling is great as well as it just all around was taken care of and put away.

So what I was wondering is what do you guys think? What is it worth more to get it and not shoot it? Get it and shoot it? To high in price? Or do you have one that you shoot and can tell me more on it? What to look for on this one anything really I would be grateful of that even if its a well its to high of a price and not worth that much I would like to hear your honest opinion. I did read up on it on Colts web site but I am here because it just does not feel comfortable to me at a price of $650.00 in trade.

Thanks

Outpost75
05-01-2014, 06:10 PM
It appears to be a reblue, but better photos are necessary to confirm. A reblued, parts gun in good mechanical condition, which times and indexes well, decent shootable bore, but maybe some light salt & pepper is worth $450 tops. I paid $350 for a similar gun in .45 Colt a few years ago. Hope this helps.

missionary5155
05-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Greetings
If it had the origonal wood grips also. Packy's are worth nothing close to the origonal wood even though they make the heavy Colt far more shootable.
An item to check. Slowly cock the hammer to full cock. Did the cylinder index and lock into place properly ?
Mike in Peru

woody13
05-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Outpost75 yes it does help and missionary5155 it does index well, the cocking is a bit stiff but it does cock back and the cylinder rotates well and locks, bore looks really good and I do agree it could be a re-blue and it has some salt and pepper on it but not enough to show bad or not clean up ok.... Gun will be coming to me just as it is nothing extra with it and all. I wish it had more. Thanks guys

rintinglen
05-01-2014, 08:52 PM
A reblued 1917, missing the original grips and the lanyard ring is worth maybe 550 tops--less if the bluing is worn. I don't what your trading, but I'd not part with more than 500 bucks worth of stuff--unless I'd gotten it free.

lonewelder
05-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Its just a shooter.collector value is pretty much gone.I think you could find a better specimen for that money.350 would be my max.just my 2cents

woody13
05-03-2014, 12:00 AM
Thanks guys looks like I will have 375 into it when I add up my trade value. So it is a clean shooter for me and I wasn't really looking to collect it just shoot my .45 ACP cast out of it. All the info has helped me and my friend was helpful in what he needed and I was able to put a rough value on it and show that to him so it's helped.

Love Life
05-03-2014, 12:21 AM
Look at completed auctions on Gunbroker. That is pretty much the gospel on real value.