PDA

View Full Version : 8x57 Mauser with Nazi eagles.....

303carbine
05-01-2014, 03:10 PM
I just picked up an all matching code 243 1939 8x57 Mauser, on the receiver there are three Nazi eagles clutching small swastikas in a row all intact, I would have thought that someone would have peened them out long ago. It also has a small Odal Rune stamped into the wood above the bayonet lug. On the barrel is a Prussian Eagle proof mark.
All numbers match, I took it apart and the wood has the same serial number as the rest of the rifle. The trigger guard is milled and the capture screws are still present.
The laminate stock is very nice, the rifle appears unfired as I had to remove the cosmoline that was plugging the inside of the bolt.
The bolt face still has the blueing and I looked with a magnifying glass to see if there was any brass shavings in the extractor or anywhere else, I found none.
The bore is very shiny, now I'm not sure if I want to shoot it.:mrgreen:

Pb2au
05-01-2014, 03:59 PM
My Oberndorf also has the swastickers intact, mint bore, great shooter.
So yeah, go shoot it!

Huffmanite
05-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Think your "Prussian eagle" is really the eagle used by the Weimar Republic that governed Germany before Hitler replaced it.

303carbine
05-01-2014, 05:09 PM
Think your "Prussian eagle" is really the eagle used by the Weimar Republic that governed Germany before Hitler replaced it.

That's probably true, I don't know a whole bunch about all the markings on Mausers, I checked the net for German markings and the Prussian Eagle was the one it closely resembled, although the stamping isn't perfect.
I just happen to have some 8x57 ammo already loaded, I believe I will go out after dinner and make some noise with the old girl.
Thanks again for any info, John

rondog
05-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Where on Earth did you find this? Photos?

303carbine
05-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Where on Earth did you find this? Photos?

With me being picture illiterate, I would need someone to graciously post pics for me.
Email me at deerslayer@shaw.ca and I will forward pics after dinnertime. Thanks a bunch, John

gew98
05-01-2014, 09:11 PM
I just picked up an all matching code 243 1939 8x57 Mauser, on the receiver there are three Nazi eagles clutching small swastikas in a row all intact, I would have thought that someone would have peened them out long ago. It also has a small Odal Rune stamped into the wood above the bayonet lug. On the barrel is a Prussian Eagle proof mark.
All numbers match, I took it apart and the wood has the same serial number as the rest of the rifle. The trigger guard is milled and the capture screws are still present.
The laminate stock is very nice, the rifle appears unfired as I had to remove the cosmoline that was plugging the inside of the bolt.
The bolt face still has the blueing and I looked with a magnifying glass to see if there was any brass shavings in the extractor or anywhere else, I found none.
The bore is very shiny, now I'm not sure if I want to shoot it.:mrgreen:

243 ( mauser borsigwalde ) was a prolific maker until 1941 when the code was changed to 'ar' in place of 243. Anyhow don't know what an "odal" is. Really the only time I have seen peened WaA proofs has been on some european imports and israeli rebuilds. Almost sounds like you have a mitchells mauser thingy. Simply without pics you may have a good rifle or a pig in a poke.

303carbine
05-01-2014, 10:01 PM
243 ( mauser borsigwalde ) was a prolific maker until 1941 when the code was changed to 'ar' in place of 243. Anyhow don't know what an "odal" is. Really the only time I have seen peened WaA proofs has been on some european imports and israeli rebuilds. Almost sounds like you have a mitchells mauser thingy. Simply without pics you may have a good rifle or a pig in a poke.

As far as I can tell, the Odal Rune mark stood for "inheritance or ownership", not sure how the Germans used it though.

andy h
05-02-2014, 12:22 PM
The odal rune mark is the insignia of the 7th SS Volunteer Mountain Division ( Prinz Eugen).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_SS_Volunteer_Mountain_Division_Prinz_Eugen

bigted
05-07-2014, 04:23 PM
so my daughter showed me a thing about this text box I knew nothing about before on the posting pictures thing.

- 4th in from the far right side is a icon that ... when you put your cursor on it it says "insert image"
- click on it and then go to "from computer"
- then click "basic upload"
- click "browse"
- choose a photo of the small enough size
- click on this photo
- click on the "open"
- now under the browse box there is written "upload" click on this
- now wait for the picture to download into the text box.

I loaded this photo in just this manner from my "pictures" section on my computer. lesson learned was that if the photo is too large then it will not load properly so ensure your photo size to a fairly small size for the uploader to load ... at least this is how it works on my computer.

forgot to add that when you "upload" your picture into the text box ... it will just put numbers in the text box and the photo will not appear till you "post" your text.

Engineer_Scott
05-30-2014, 01:11 PM
My son recently found a 1943 Kar 98 German Mauser at a Cabela's of all places. It has all the Nazi markings intact, the serial numbers do not all match though. It is a nice, tight rifle. The bolt action is pretty smooth but I think I still like the British Enfield action better.