PDA

View Full Version : Expert opinion Needed 1900 Colt Auto.

bouncer50
05-01-2014, 07:24 AM
I have a Colt 1900 in 38 A.C.P It has a wedge that whole the slide together. I have hear that if the wedge breaks the slide can hit you face. I do reload for 38 acp with CB with light charge of green dot. It is safe to fire this old automatic. It lost it collecter value because it been nickel plated. Other wise the gun is in good shape. I had this gun for over fifteen years and never shot it. I alway had fear of shooting it.:( Are they safe to shoot:confused:

rintinglen
05-01-2014, 10:21 AM
I have only fired one once, so take my experience with a grain of salt, but with light loads, your gun should be safe. As I recall, the load was a Lyman 122 grain cast boolit over an unknown charge of Unique. The danger comes when you fire a 38 Super round in one of the old pistols. The 38 Super generates more pressure than a proof load would for a 38 ACP. Think 20,000-22,000 CUP for the 38 ACP and 36000 for the Super. Throw in a 114 year old gun, and you can see how fireworks can be possible.
Come to think of it, the one I shot was a 1902 model.

Bottom line is, if it was mine, I'd shoot it after giving it a careful look see. My 1970's era NRA Handloading lists 4.4 grains of WW-231 for a factory duplication load, 130 grain FMJ @ 1050. I-d go with a 122-125 grain boolit over a similar charge, they don't list anything with Green Dot, but they do show 5.9 grains of Herco or 4.5 grains of Red Dot. You might want to try try 4.5 grains of Green Dot with a 120-125 grain boolit, and maybe work up until reliable function is reached, since it 's burn rate is in between Red Dot and Herco. I would strive for the lightest load that functions the gun.