PDA

View Full Version : Accurate Brass Mold

Clay M
04-30-2014, 11:57 AM
Just cast with my new Accurate brass mold yesterday.I have to say this is the best casting mold I have ever used. Once the mold was casting at the correct temperature I got all perfect bullets and no sticking.I think I will order all brass molds in the future, whenever I can.

Ben
04-30-2014, 12:01 PM
I have a brass , 4 cav. Accurate mold.

No need to go to the gym to work out.
You handle this mold for a couple of hours, you've already put in your work-out for the day.

With that said, it does make beautiful bullets.

Ben

Clay M
04-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Yeah I am not sure I would want to handle a four cavity brass mold, but for a two cavity rifle bullet the even heat retention is worth the extra weight.

Ben
04-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Yes, you're definitely correct.

Beagle333
04-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Brass is wonderful. I wish I could trade all my Al molds in for brass ones. :cool:

dragon813gt
04-30-2014, 12:40 PM
I only order aluminium if it's the only option or I'm trying out a new design. If that design works I sell the aluminium mold and buy a brass one. No need to be a speed demon w/ brass. While they do weigh more the slower pace puts leas strain on my body.

mrbill2
04-30-2014, 07:46 PM
FYI From Tom's web page: Brass molds can warp if overheated. This will not happen with normal casting temperatures, where the mold block typically reaches about 325 degrees. If you preheat your molds, be careful not to get brass too hot. Brass makes a great mold block, but cannot be abused. I do not guarantee against warpage.

dragon813gt
04-30-2014, 09:23 PM
You really have to overheat them to warp them. The biggest issue could be w/ open coil hot plates. These could cause hot spots. The chance of warping is very minimal IMO.

Clay M
04-30-2014, 10:49 PM
You really have to overheat them to warp them. The biggest issue could be w/ open coil hot plates. These could cause hot spots. The chance of warping is very minimal IMO.

I agree. I use a thermometer to regulate my hot plate.I make sure the temp stays 300 F or less.Tom told me that unless you do something unreasonable that you are not going too hurt a brass mold.

captaint
05-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Getting back to the aluminum molds -Accurate also makes molds in AL as we know. And I'll not be getting rid of any of my NOE aluminum molds. They work really well and make great boolits.

Mike

mrbill2
05-01-2014, 11:14 AM
I'm not saying not to buy brass molds, just be aware that they can warp. I know because I have one that warped and it's now a paper weight.

jmort
05-01-2014, 11:21 AM
"I think I will order all brass molds in the future, whenever I can.".

Not me. But I do like the two I have. There is a reason Tom states that he prefers aluminum for his personal molds.

Kansas Ed
05-02-2014, 08:46 PM
I have several brass, several AL, and quite a few iron. AL is always my last choice. Seems that the aluminum always has more trouble releasing and tends to show folds in the bullets easier. Brass is always my first choice. Just personal preference.

Ed

bigboredad
05-03-2014, 10:31 PM
I love the brass molds that Tom has made for me. For bigger bullet and 4 cavity .45 molds Toms' alum. Molds are excellent and glad he talked me into trying them but my brass molds aren't going anywhere and can't wait to get more

TXGunNut
05-03-2014, 11:52 PM
There's something about a brass mould, don't have one yet but they sure are pretty.

Drew P
02-03-2016, 12:34 AM
Sorry to dredge up old **** but I have a question about molds. Seems they can run too hot or too heavy for users muscles. Why don't they lighten the mold blocks which would aid cooling and lighten it?

w5pv
02-03-2016, 05:50 PM
I haven't heard nothing but good about NOE but haven't had the need to aquire any thing lately.

HangFireW8
02-03-2016, 06:28 PM
Sorry to dredge up old **** but I have a question about molds. Seems they can run too hot or too heavy for users muscles. Why don't they lighten the mold blocks which would aid cooling and lighten it?

Skinny molds overheat and warp more easily and are harder to keep at a consistent temp. If brass doesn't work for you, try Aluminum.

krems
02-04-2016, 03:07 AM
Make my molds in Aluminum.....in all except for my long range Black Powder target rifles. For these I prefer iron. Of course.....I like to dip the mold in the lead pot to preheat the mold. Never warped a mold yet!...... I've tried brass molds but didn't like the weight of them.

zubrato
02-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Honestly, brass or iron should be used for rifle boolit casting, the consistency of grain weight is simply incredible. I get .1-.3 grain variations for weight in all my brass molds, HP or not.
Although, I do use brass & steel for pistol like 9mm/38/357 I sometimes wish I had went with aluminum after a few hours casting. But when I weigh them for funsies I'm reminded what brass brings to the table and I can forgive the weight. (I have since stopped sorting for weight like I used to with my aluminum molds)

I find brass either makes a perfect boolit or it doesn't, and can be fussy about temperature. My MP 125gr HP mold sometimes develops hotspots and frosts a band or a part of the boolit, and some boolits go into the reject pile.
Steel molds take a bit longer to heat up, but also resist overheating. I'm impressed how quickly I can produce boolits with a 2 cav steel mold, and how tiny the reject rate is.

One thing I really like about Accurate molds is side cut outs to lube the contact area between handles and the mold. I really like that attention to detail, along with the sprue plate stop.

country gent
02-06-2016, 08:09 PM
I use brass and iron moulds dont have an aluminum one currently but have used them in the past. I like brass for the way it does hold heat and runs evenly. Iron is good also in theese repects. Cooling fins could be cut around the out side of the blocks ( think air cooled motors jug)lightening them and increasing surface area to aid cooling of the blocks. WHile it would aid in weight reduction it would also mean a faster pace or hotter alloy temp to maintain blocks operating temp. It would also be more for spilled splashed lead to grab in. I cast for quality not quanity so what casts the most consistant uniform bullets is what I use. I do perfer brass moulds when available its a great mould material and easy to maintain. Dosnt rust. Finishes smooth and is easy to machine. Aluminum is soft and can be easil;y damaged with a little inattention. Mehanite is very good when broke in and cared for properly pretty rust resistant and easy to care for. But in all honnesty between these 3 materials its pretty much personal preffrence most of the time.

Clay M
02-06-2016, 08:52 PM
I very much like the brass molds. They are the best casting molds I have used because of the reasons you stated. I am careful with them as not to preheat them too hot.
They are heavier, but to me it is worth the difference in weight and cost.

Speaking of Brass, I have one that I have not used yet. Maybe I will cast some bullets with it this week ,as the weather is looking fair.

Chris C
02-06-2016, 10:13 PM
I just recently ordered my first bullet mold..................and it was from Tom at Accurate Molds. Being new to casting and not having any idea as to the ***/neg of steel/aluminum/brass molds, I started asking questions of those I know who have been casting a long time. Got lots of opinions. But the most often made suggestion was for aluminum. And just before I dropped the dime to buy one of Tom's molds, I asked his opinion. He said his personal preference was aluminum. I'm happy with my aluminum mold............and have just put my name on the list for a "real" Keith bullet mold from NOE......and it'll be in aluminum. That said, I'd sure like to own a brass mold to see how they cast. ;-)

MarkP
02-06-2016, 10:33 PM
I sure like my brass molds, as others have stated they seem to be less finicky as compared to aluminum. I feel you get the advantages of a iron mold combined with some of aluminum's advantages. Only negative is they are pretty heavy as compared to aluminum.

Dragonheart
02-10-2016, 07:57 PM
I prefer brass and have 8 NOE 4 cavity that all produce perfect bullets. They are heavy, but you can't beat the quality. Other than that I like my old Saeco steel molds as my old molds mate together better for a no mold line, like my brass.