PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Big Dipper 10# Problems

dinwi
04-30-2014, 10:22 AM
Good Morning All,

Bought a Lyman 10# Big Dipper melting pot on sale at Cabelas probably a year ago.
Opened it up, & stuck it on the shelf.

I don't cast very often, but usually do lots of bullets when I do. Perhaps 1-2 times / year.
I bought the Lyman to melt down wheel weights, and make them into ingots.
Wanted the 10# so it would fit more than my little 4# Lee.

Well, the box & paperwork are long gone, and the thing doesn't get hot enough to melt anything.
If I try to melt pure lead ingots, after about 20 minutes they will get a little soft, but not liquid.

Any way of adjusting anything, or any suggestions?
It was cheap, but still pisses me off :/

Thanks all,

D

RickinTN
04-30-2014, 11:10 AM
I have two of those, one of which is still in the box. The one I use will maintain a temp of +/- 700 with the dial in about the 7:30 position. It does take about 25 minutes to melt a full pot. If it won't melt a full pot with the thermostat turned all the way up in about a half hour it sounds like it may need to go back to Lyman.
Good Luck,
Rick

imashooter2
04-30-2014, 11:34 AM
See the thread below. The problem is Lyman's implementation of the "thermostat." It cycles on and off way too often.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?235945-Lyman-Big-Dipper-furnace

dinwi
04-30-2014, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys. I haven't got to spend much time here, and I probably shoulda figured out the search feature before asking.
Mine has the same issue as many others have reported, that it cycles on & off A LOT.

Again, thanks.

Dave