PDA

View Full Version : .357 Maximum Shotgun

calaloo
04-30-2014, 08:47 AM
A year or so ago I bought a Martini Cadet that had been "sporterized". The barrel had been bored and chambered in .357 Mag. The rifling was so shallow as to be almost nonexistent and shot patterns instead of groups. So I thought I might as well turn it into a shotgun. Here are my thoughts. I have a 3/8 hand reamer that is tapered for about an inch. If I ream the barrel from the breech end and stop just as the end of the reamer exits the muzzle I should have a nice choked barrel. I have already rechambered to >357 Max. Any thoughts on this concept?

I remember a thread on this forum about loading pistol shells using the heavy Styrofoam meat trays as wads. I have not been able to find that thread. Can someone point me in the right direction? I did find a couple of threads that was helpful but not the one I remember.

Lastly, any advise on loading data would be appreciated. I have shot sizes 12, 9, 7 1/2, and 6. I will probably use something like grits for carpenter bees.

If there is any interest I will post photos and updates.

Calaloo

reed1911
04-30-2014, 10:35 AM
I would start with making some shot shells and shooting it as is before you ream the barrel. You may be surprised at the spread with the current barrel. Load wise, weigh your shot and wads, guessing it will be about 160-180g I'd start with 3.2g 321 or 2.5g U Clays.