PDA

View Full Version : 44 Special--Again...

BCB
01-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Just left the Freedom Arms website…Phewwwwwwwww…

I am looking for a 44 Special with adjustable sights and around a 6” barrel. It appears there are not many options for this cartridge today. Charter Arms—Taurus??? Or an older Smith & Wesson that demand big bucks…Maybe Ruger is coming out with something—anyone hear anything—any rumors?

What other options might I have? At around $1600, I don’t think FA is an option at this period in my life!!!!

I have 44 Magnums, but they are ‘scoped and I really don’t want to shoot 44 Special in them—no particular reason. I just want a nice 44 Special to carry when walking on some of the properties I own. Maybe with a stout 44-250-K load…

Any thoughts?...BCB

mooman76
01-06-2008, 12:17 PM
With those kind of options maybe you could buy another 44 mag and just load 44 special loads in 44 mag cases and just shoot out of that particular gun. Just a thought!

Lloyd Smale
01-06-2008, 12:46 PM
4smith is making a run of 4 inch 624s right now. Another option would be a usfa rodeo for about 700 bucks.

Swamprat1052
01-06-2008, 12:48 PM
You probabaly already know this, there was an article in Handloader Mag about it a while back. If you have a Ruger Blackhawk in 357, Clements Guns will convert it to 44 Special. I have been looking at his website and if I ever get the funds saved up I am gonna send mine to him. I have an old 3 screw 357 in the safe just waiting.

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/

Its called a Jeff Quinn Special. Blued its $475, more if you want the frame case hardened. I'd like it case hardened with a steel grip frame and ejector housing. I cant do it yet but maybe one day.

Swamprat

9.3X62AL
01-06-2008, 01:05 PM
$1600 is a ton of cash, all right. FA's are fine guns, but Ferraris are nice cars too--and I won't have one of those, I imagine.

Both the 38 Special and the 44 Special have been marginalized by the appearance and wide popularity of the 357 and 44 Magnums. The mainstream makers have largely abandoned the 38, and really turned their backs on the 44. Some of the 1980's-series N-frames can be had at decent prices.

One other option to explore might be the S&W Model 625 variants in 45 ACP. Several posters here own examples of this model, and report fine accuracy from these revolvers. Auto-Rim brass is again available via Starline, or the clips can assist with 45 ACP ammo. Just a thought, but other than the fixed-sight limited-production 44 Specials by S&W, these are about the only new double-action revolvers chambering a medium-intensity revolver caliber.

That scaled-down Ruger Blackhawk would be a fine platform for the 44 Special, but since it is pointed at CAS markets--I don't think adjustable sights are in its future. There were some gunwriters in the mid-1970's (Skeeter Skelton comes to mind here) that bemoaned the lack of available 44 Special revolvers, and IIRC Mr. Skelton had a S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman in 357 Magnum re-bored to 44 Special. I sure as hell wouldn't do that today to a M-28, but the HP was still in production back then, and the 44 Special wasn't. A 4-5/8" Blackhawk in 357 Magnum suggests itself as a candidate for such a conversion, but after all the work gets done and paid for........you've likely spent enough to buy a used/nice shape M-624, maybe even the FA.

Viewed in that light, downloading an existing 44 Magnum starts making sense. I have a M-624 x 6.5", but still load 90% of my 44 Magnum (and other Magnum revolvers) at 950-1000 FPS with "standard" boolit weights--158 grains in the 357, 210 in the 41, 240 in the 44, and 250 in the 45 Colt (Ruger BisHawk). Same bullet weights are used in 38 and 44 Special, loaded to 800-850 FPS most of the time. Boring, I know--but my Magnums are largely Specials 90% of the time anyway.

Swamprat1052
01-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Clements 44 Special will have the original sights from the Blackhawk on it. Or he'll put a Rough Country sight on it for a price. I like the adjustable sights that came on the Old Model Blackhawks and would have them left on mine. I have been thinking about putting those Rough Country sites on my 45 New Model Blackhawk, the ones on it are pretty flimsy, but adequate. Look on Clements web site, all the pictures of that conversion have adjustable sights.

I want mine to carry in the backcountry for mt. lion protection. The smaller frame in a 44 appeals to me.

Swamprat

nicholst55
01-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Its called a Jeff Quinn Special. Blued its $475, more if you want the frame case hardened. I'd like it case hardened with a steel grip frame and ejector housing. I cant do it yet but maybe one day.

Swamprat

Make the $525; inflation, you know. Also expect at least a one year wait.

Swamprat1052
01-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Yeah I just went and saw that, was coming back to eat crow. That just happened lately. I know about the wait. The man must be busy, so he must be good.

Swamprat

NSP64
01-06-2008, 02:14 PM
swamprat,
have you looked at a taurus tracker in 44 mag? 5 shot, 6", adj site, in stainless for around$450.

mooman76
01-06-2008, 03:00 PM
I saw a SA in 44 special at the gunshow yesterday. You just don't see to many 44 specials around any more and very few with a 6' barrel. You could go custom if you have that kind of money to spend! I can't even buy 44 special ammo around here except at the gun show!

Scrounger
01-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Just left the Freedom Arms website…Phewwwwwwwww…

I am looking for a 44 Special with adjustable sights and around a 6” barrel. It appears there are not many options for this cartridge today. Charter Arms—Taurus??? Or an older Smith & Wesson that demand big bucks…Maybe Ruger is coming out with something—anyone hear anything—any rumors?

What other options might I have? At around $1600, I don’t think FA is an option at this period in my life!!!!

I have 44 Magnums, but they are ‘scoped and I really don’t want to shoot 44 Special in them—no particular reason. I just want a nice 44 Special to carry when walking on some of the properties I own. Maybe with a stout 44-250-K load…

Any thoughts?...BCB

A ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt could fill that requirement completely. Easily, no work necessary. Economically. The .44 Special will not do anything the .45 Colt can't do better. Over the counter, no over-priced ego trip gunsmith required.

MT Gianni
01-06-2008, 04:15 PM
A ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt could fill that requirement completely. Easily, no work necessary. Economically. The .44 Special will not do anything the .45 Colt can't do better. Over the counter, no over-priced ego trip gunsmith required.

The only advantage to the 44 Spl would be common dies and molds. I sold a 624 and don't miss it. The 45 blackhawk is a great shooter with correct throats and my 45 acp cylinder is great as is. If I wanted a 44 spl cheap I would look instead to a used N frame 44 Mag matbe a MT gun or an older 629. Most are not shot much, are not going to wear out with 44 Spl loads and are lighter than other 44's. If I had a 1911 in 45 acp I would consider myself well armed in lion country. Get what makes you happy. Gianni

BCB
01-06-2008, 05:21 PM
All good comments—I wonder why 44 Specials are not a production handgun by the major makers?

I have given the 45LC some thought, except I have everything for the 44 Magnum, including molds. It would just be so much simpler and less expensive (?) to just stay with that caliber—but, maybe not?

The small 44 Magnum handgun is another thought and then just use it for 44 Special loads. Get one that is not clubby (like my SRH’s) and use it just for sidearm carry.

Not many gun shops in my area, so I don’t really have the chance of finding an older Smith. Oh well, some of the comments might sway my opinion of what I really think that I need…BCB

Scrounger
01-06-2008, 05:32 PM
The cost of dies, brass and a mold would be a small fraction of what any .44 Special will cost, a custom handgun many times that.

Swamprat1052
01-06-2008, 06:39 PM
If I had a 1911 in 45 acp I would consider myself well armed in lion country. Get what makes you happy. Gianni

Gianni, I agree. The only reason I opted for a Single Action is that I hunt coyotes. I am always sitting in the sand out in the desert and high desert calling. My pistol, in a holster, is attached to my butt. My butt gets sand on it and I figure the Single Action will be more dependable in those conditions. My 45 Colt does all I need but the 44 Special would be smaller and besides I kinda like the idea of it.

Thats why I dont tote a 1911.

Swamprat

Swamprat1052
01-06-2008, 06:43 PM
swamprat,
have you looked at a taurus tracker in 44 mag? 5 shot, 6", adj site, in stainless for around$450.

I havent looked at Taurus Smokepole, I dont know anything about them. I have read bad things about em here and other places. I may look into that.

Thanks,
Swamprat

murph
01-06-2008, 06:56 PM
I have seen some older Bulldogs in 44 special that weren't way too pricey and it seems I have seen one made like the old Bulldog by Taurus. We have a gun show coming up this month and am going to do some heavy shopping for companion arms. Want to find a reasonable priced 357 rifle too. Finally got a lever action 44 mag rifle by Ruger on a deal by a guy that couldn't figure out how to make it shoot accurate. I know he thought he had bent me over. lol.

Scrounger
01-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I used to have one of those Ruger lever action .44s and I agree with the fellow you bought it from, I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. The worst Marlin I ever shot was ten times better than the Ruger. And wait till you look at extra magazines....

testhop
01-06-2008, 08:32 PM
BCB
dont let the cost of specials bother your useing the 44 specil you can always trim mag cases
or you can load the mag down to speacil speed

MT Gianni
01-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Gianni, I agree. The only reason I opted for a Single Action is that I hunt coyotes. I am always sitting in the sand out in the desert and high desert calling. My pistol, in a holster, is attached to my butt. My butt gets sand on it and I figure the Single Action will be more dependable in those conditions. My 45 Colt does all I need but the 44 Special would be smaller and besides I kinda like the idea of it.

Thats why I dont tote a 1911.

Swamprat

That's why I said get what you want. I have a CA Bulldog that I carry and enjoy but 50 rds a year is all I want to put through it. Most would want to shoottheir gun more than that. i have other guns I'll do that with. Gianni

9.3X62AL
01-06-2008, 09:09 PM
BCB--

Someone above mentioned a S&W "Mountain Gun" in 44 Magnum.......this has the barrel taper/contour of the 44 Specials and weighs a few ounces less than the generic Model 29/629.

I imagine that a 44 Special revolver--other than the belly-gun/CCW rigs--don't sell readily to the "gunrag consumer" market, just to Cranks Like Us. It's a great caliber, and a good match to the Colt-clone SAA platforms--but with 357 and 44 Magnums well-established, a lot of buyers don't see the need for the 38 or 44 Special-specific platforms. Had I not located the Model 624 I now have from a member here, I would likely have gone the 629/Mtn Gun route--and down-loaded 44 Magnum cases. That late-series Model 624 production run in the 1980's was likely prompted by Skeeter Skelton and others of similar viewpoint prevailing on S&W to re-introduce "classic" models and calibers, and based on their scarcity the line didn't sell well. The company is addressing The Crank Market with the limited production 44 Special and 45 ACP revolvers currently listed on their website--fixed sight variants, but there they are. Short of that, custom work is costly and moves with the speed of a glacier--as noted above.

davwingman
01-06-2008, 10:07 PM
I saw a Model S&W 624 6'' for sale at Valley Gun in Bakersfield ,Ca. yesterday. I think the price was $649.95 Might be worth a phone call if that is what you are wanting.

Ghugly
01-07-2008, 05:49 AM
That's why I said get what you want. I have a CA Bulldog that I carry and enjoy but 50 rds a year is all I want to put through it. Most would want to shoottheir gun more than that. i have other guns I'll do that with. Gianni

This seems as good a time as any for me to confess my sins. I suffered a severe brain fart about a week ago and only dumb luck and the under estimated strength of my CA Bulldog saved me from disaster. I went to the range with a buddy and took 300 rounds of my usual plinking rounds (245g Keith's over 5.2gr of Trailboss) and 50 258g Keith's over 7.5g Unique. After shooting up 200 or so of the plinkers my buddy asked if he could try some of the heavy loads. I told him to help himself and wandered over to chat with some of the other guys at the range.

I noticed that everyone had stopped shooting and were looking over at the end of the range where the Bulldog was pounding my buddy. I watched him for a bit and wandered over to see how he was doing. He handed me the Bulldog and said that his wrist was hurting so bad that he was through for the day. I laughed and called him a sissy, loaded it up and fired it.

Now, those heavy loads in the 20oz Bulldog are not for everyone. They don't hurt me, but I can feel the bones in my wrist grinding togeather------not painfull exactly. This was something different. I don't shoot that many heavy loads in it, it just isn't as much fun as the plinkers, but it just didn't feel right. The fired cases ejected just fine, not tight at all. The primers looked normal, the cases looked normal, the gun looked normal but it was really rocking us.

I pulled the remaining boolits after I got home and weighed the charges. 9.3 grains. 9.3g of Unique under a 258g Keith is well into .44 mag territory. Figure in the fact that it was stuffed into the shorter .44 special case and I don't think I want to know what kind of pressure that little 20oz revolver was being subjected to.

I weighed 3 or 4 of the charges before I started loading those rounds, and I know they were at 7.5g. I don't know how I could have screwed up so completely. I've been loading pistol cartridges since the early '70's and I have never, ever had such a thing happen. I am that carefull. When I pulled those boolits and weighed the charges, a chill went right through me. I don't know what I would have done had the Bulldog let go in my friends hand.

I don't know what any of you might be able to gleen from this incident. If it causes any of you to take an extra second's care it will be worth my embarasment. If it gives you a grin or a chuckle........I guess that's worth something.

9.3X62AL
01-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Ghugly--

Just READING that text sent a shiver up my spine. I'm glad that all appears well, and no one was hurt.

Lloyd Smale
01-07-2008, 12:17 PM
theres a run of 4 inch adj sight 24s being sold right now.

BCB
01-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I continue to read the comments with interest. I have written the S&W model numbers down and even went to their website. I didn’t realize the Smith made so many models of handguns!!! Guess I have just been a Ruger man my entire life and never really got involved with Smith. Learn something everyday.

The 24’s look interesting, but I really want a 6” or a bit longer, barrel. Actually, Ruger is coming out with a 4” Redhawk in 45 LC this year. I just can’t think that those shorter barrels will shoot as good as my 6” Security-Six. It will consistently hit 24 ounce Pepsi plastic bottles at 50 yards from my bench. Maybe I prefer the balance of the longer barrel.

The Mountain Guns look interesting too. As a matter of fact, they all look interesting!!!

I will continue to look for a 624 also…

And, I am not giving up on finding a used Smith in the 44 Special cartridge, but people keep mentioning the 45 LC. So, I went to several of my reloading manuals, including the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook and the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual, and just checked the data for the 45 LC. Maybe I do need another caliber to cast for! (?) I just like that 44-250-K bullet that I use so dang accurately in my SRH. And, although it might be a bit heavy for a Special, the Lyman 429650 is amazingly accurate in the SRH at distances greater than 250 yards—this is a true statement.

What is the Keith bullet equivalent for the 45 LC?

Guess I will call a couple of gun shops that are 60-70 miles away and see what they might have before I seriously check out the 45 LC…

Keep postin’ and I will keep readin’…BCB

MT Gianni
01-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Don't give up on a 4" bbl from a Smith. They can do great things. Gianni

Four Fingers of Death
01-07-2008, 09:37 PM
I used to feel the same way about 6" Bbls. Technically, they are easier to shoot because of the longer sight radius, but I have a lot of SAs with 5 i/2" and a few DAs with 4" They shoot pretty much as good as each other and the combination of balance and cool factor make them very desirable. I'd like a troi of older blued Redhawks, 44Special, 44Mag and 45 Colt, 4" Bbls and ivory grips, now, that would be cool. Ain't likely to get one though.

2 dogs
01-12-2008, 11:30 AM
I was reading your opening comments on the cost of a FA and wanted to say that you can get them for considerably less money on the used market. You do have to act fast tho, they dissappear in a hurry. I would also say I dont have any problem keeping my 5.5 inch FA 44 special on a 8 inch plate with open sights at 100 yards.....

If you get a production 44 special you have to hope for a revolver with both good dimensions and good alignment to have your best chance for accuracy....that doesnt always work out. If you do get one, its a treat.

If you go the custom route, you can get exactly what you want. I have 4 linebored Clements conversions. 2 of them in 44 special. They are all uniformly accurate. I can also recommend Alan Harton, who builds the tightest most accurate and beautiful sixguns I have seen. However, the full custom option can run quite a bit more than a new FA....

GLL
01-12-2008, 09:28 PM
BCB:

If you want an 6 ˝” S&W .44 Special revolver you should keep an eye out for some of the older models. They are not difficult to find but sometimes they are pricey !

Jerry

Here is a 1950 4th Model, the 624, a 24-3 with its shorter barreled siblings, and the 1926 3rd Model Target.
The last one is rare not one to consider searching for.

http://www.fototime.com/20A164DB9A01ED6/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/EEF3369A710EE97/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/EB3AA8EE8B70F1B/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/8D96587AC4167C5/standard.jpg

BCB
01-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks for all of your replies and the pictures too! Those are sure some nice lookin’ handguns, but in my rural area, it is not likely I will find any of them at the local very small gun shops!

The FA and custom jobs are not necessarily out of my price range, but as 9.3X62AL mentioned, I don’t really need a Ferrari either! Those premium handguns just might outshoot a less expensive Ruger or the likes, but for my use of killin’ soda bottles, chunks of wood, weary grounded leaves, and the occasional woodchuck that might be unfortunate enough to be in my path of travel, I really can’t justify those $$$$$$$$...

I did start another thread concerning he 45 LC (from reading, I now understand that the Long is incorrect!). I have not completely given up on the 44 Special, but I think a 45 Colt might be in my future…

Check out my last post under “Blackhawk Cylinder & 45 LC...”. I have at least one final question before taking the plunge…

Thanks again to all…BCB

Scrounger
01-13-2008, 01:21 PM
And it wouldn't hurt to keep in mind that all the things you just named are easily "killed" with a .357 or even a .38 Special. I always try to keep in mind that the words "need" and "want" have different meanings and priorities.

EDK
01-13-2008, 06:08 PM
I ran a search on gunbroker, auction arms and guns america last night. There are model 24 and 624 in 3, 4 and 6.5 inch lengths available. Some of the prices will shock you!

I had a model 27 converted to a model 24 with a factory 6.5 inch barrel back in the mid '70s....one elegant piece of hardware! (It vanished with 'most everything else in a burglary....also turned down a transfer and got the wife pregnant that day!) I have a 6.5 inch Original Style model 29 and a 5 inch Classic Hunter that are great, but the 6.5 44 Special is still a fond memory. Maybe it's time to get into the savings and buy one while they are still available!

:cbpour: :redneck:

Poohgyrr
01-17-2008, 01:40 PM
theres a run of 4 inch adj sight 24s being sold right now.

I have very little toy money once again. but where is this? Any info on this would be appreciated lots.

EDITED: Ahhh, Lew Horten has the factory M21s and the special M24s (including nickled). :)

But my state says they are not safe to sell here.. ;(

So, I'll "have" to settle for the "safe" .44 Specials.. ;)

MGySgt
01-18-2008, 02:18 PM
IIRC Mr. Skelton had a S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman in 357 Magnum re-bored to 44 Special. I sure as hell wouldn't do that today to a M-28.

Al,

I guess if I did that to one of my 2 Mod 28's you would come east and kick my butt - HUH! :)

I have actually thought of doing that, but at the same time I have a 629 Mountain gun that is a real bear with full bore loads, but shoots 3/4 mags real well!

So another vote for the 629 MG over a custom job.

Drew

Frank46
01-19-2008, 01:17 AM
Just saw this thread. funny that is just what I want. A nice 44 special. Looked at the usaf site last night. Ouch. Will keep lookin. Course I could get a new bbl put on my swedish rolling block and I'd have a 44 special. Frank

Swagerman
01-19-2008, 01:39 AM
You know it seems like everyone wants a .44 special, including myself...presently got three of them...and on the look out for more.

I was recently bidding on an auction and got beat out by a higher bidder for a duplicate of a gun I already have.

Howcome the gun manufactuers stop making them, how come they charge so stinking much for them when they do make them.

Man, we've all got the .44 special blues. :???:

Jim

Scrounger
01-19-2008, 10:01 AM
You ever notice how the guns everybody wants, and is willing to pay a premium for, are the guns they quit making? Damn collectors. Sure, some of us want them to use but the vast majority of seekers are collectors who want to have something no one else has. Manufacturers quit making calibers and models that don't sell well. Instantly the price goes up because now it is a collector's item. When S&W made .32 calibers, they couldn't give them away, everybody wanted .38s, .357s. The .44 Specials were an awful slow seller, everyone went ahead and bought the .44 Magnum instead. You want to be ahead of the curve? Go ask your dealer which guns nobody wants and start stocking up on them, they have great appreciation built into their future.

felix
01-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Yep, Scrounger, you hit the nail on the head. I took advantage of your sage advice about 4 years ago. Needed new car(s). Looked over ebay real good for several months. Nobody, but nobody wanted 10 year old Caddys in BRAND NEW condition, old fuddy-duddy cars from "estate" sales. I got two of them with less than 40K miles. Price was about 5K each, and about another 1.5K was replaced on each (parts and labor). Couldn't be happier now, but getting them back to perfect condition was like pulling teeth because of the lack of knowledge here in Fort Smith. Now, I have a couple of young mechanics very well trained about how these 91-93 versions operate. ... felix

bearcove
01-19-2008, 09:31 PM
If you have scoped 44 mags, take off a scope. That would be your cheapest route!

Frank46
01-21-2008, 03:28 AM
After yesterdays dicsussion about the 44 special I did some searcing. The Smith and Wesson site shows 3 revelvers in that caliber. Of course one is the thunder rancg style. And two others. Since lew horton is a distributor of S&W handguns I followed tye like there. They had an advertsiement of 624's and 625's. The 624 were in 44 special at about a grand for the blue ones. Thses has three inch bbls with adjustable sights other finishes were higher in price. They also had USFA single actions in 44 spl. But at about $770 and no adjustable sights.So far every where I've gone the revolvers show the half circle front sight and grooved strap arrangement. Nothing like was shown in some of the other days pics. The search continues. Frank

9.3X62AL
01-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Drew--

Nah, no pending butt-kicks........but the prices of the out-of-print S&W's discourages me from taking tools to them that radically. The 44 Magnum down-loads very well, so the "need" for a 44 Special (as Scrounger sagely points out) is more a hobby interest question than a practical pursuit. Of course, if I applied that sort of litmus test to my accumulated stock of war toys--about 3/4 of it would change color instantly. We as handloaders have a wide range of options ammo-wise.

EDK
01-21-2008, 12:22 PM
I did searches on Gunbroker, GunsAmerica and AuctionArms last night and found 24s and 624s for sale. Someone had a 6.5 inch 24 for around $650 and I'm doing some serious thinking about it.....The horse doesn't snore that loud and it will get warmer sooner or later! LOL

I'm not computer literate and I can find stuff. I haven't been to a Smith & Wesson forum, but I'm sure they exist AND there are 24s and 624s available when you show a few yankee dollars

:cbpour: :redneck:

NVcurmudgeon
01-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Drew--

Nah, no pending butt-kicks........but the prices of the out-of-print S&W's discourages me from taking tools to them that radically. The 44 Magnum down-loads very well, so the "need" for a 44 Special (as Scrounger sagely points out) is more a hobby interest question than a practical pursuit. Of course, if I applied that sort of litmus test to my accumulated stock of war toys--about 3/4 of it would change color instantly. We as handloaders have a wide range of options ammo-wise.

Another vote for downloading the .44 Magnum vs. paying "collector" prices for Specials. I never did enjoy shooting full-race .44 Magnums, but my S&W 629/Marlin 1894 "set" is high on the MVP list. A load of 7.0 Green Dot and 240-250 gr. CB is good for 900 fps+ in revolvers and 1200 fps in the 24" Marlin, about a warmish .44 Special level. And there is so much free once-fired brass at public ranges that I have nearly stopped picking it up!

bowhunter
01-21-2008, 01:54 PM
this may not help, but a few years back i wanted a 44 sp. with 4 or 6 in. S.W.came out with a 696 3 in stainless. im kind of olskool and was against stainless because it was shiny. i bought one anyway and had it bead blasted to remove the shine. i love it! it has fully adjustable sights and shoots like a dream with h4227- imr4227 maybe you can find a used one.

MT Gianni
01-21-2008, 03:24 PM
That 696 was the perfect size platform for the special in my hand anyway. I never had the money or the gun for sale together at the same time. Enjoy yours, Gianni.

alamogunr
01-22-2008, 01:45 AM
Drew--

I did just that (M28 converted to .44 Spec.) to one of my 28's. Sent the looser of the two to
Jim Stroh and had him do his magic. He also cut the barrel back to 5". Would I do it again? Probably not but I don't regret it. I also picked up a 696 at what has turned out to be a very good price. The only thing I can say is that the conversion will go to one of my sons and the Clement .45 to the other. They can fight over the rest.
John

calsite
01-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Just bought a S&W Model 24 through Lou Horton, 3" Barrel .44 Special my cost was about $750, a beautiful piece built on a N Frame.

EMC45
01-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I don't know what model it was, but Smith made a snub in SS a while back, it had a shrouded hammer and looked like a J frame on steroids. When they hit the market they were high dollar, but after awhile they dropped a good bit at a shop I used to frequent in Ms. They said they couldn't sell them. Too big. I wish I would have jumped on that one!

Poohgyrr
01-25-2008, 05:21 AM
Just bought a S&W Model 24 through Lou Horton, 3" Barrel .44 Special my cost was about $750, a beautiful piece built on a N Frame.

:drinks:
Congrats!

Can we have pictures?? I've been drooling over those and haven't seen any in person.

C1PNR
01-26-2008, 02:49 AM
Back in '98 I was in Fowler's in Orange, CA specifically to buy a 24. They had 2 of the Lew Horton 3" that were beautiful! One of those would have retired the Charter Bulldog post haste! BUT, they also had a 6" 57 that had been slicked up, and for the same price.:roll:

It took me another couple of years to find another 24, and this one is a 6" that is very near NIB condition. I'm very happy with it, but it's not really a carry gun.

Now a recently acquired 4" model 28-2 in decent condition is causing much angst here as I try to decide if I want to try the route of the .44 Special conversion.

I don't know what I'm going to do:confused:

Poohgyrr
01-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Patience and careful shopping can pay off with the Specials. I was lucky to be offered a 4" M24-3, LNIB, a few years ago and am still grateful to him. Recently, a TR M21-4 was on a shelf for 200 below the going local rate; I can't afford an original M21 but this one is mine now.

Patience is the hard part. Anyone here remember the 50's & 60's style postcard with two vultures in a tree discussing "patience"??

Scrounger
01-28-2008, 05:01 PM
"Patience, Hell! I'm going to kill something".