PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Lee turret press; the good, bad, and ugly.

Tristan
04-29-2014, 10:00 PM
What can ya'll tell me about the lee Turret press? Will it handle rifle cartridges, say up to 30-06?

Thanks for your accumulated wisdom.

- Tristan

Silverboolit
04-29-2014, 10:06 PM
I have the newer one (4 hole) and really like it. I can do all rifle and pistol, even 30-06 length. The primer disposal is a really good idea. No spent primers to corral later. The turrets are not expensive and once set, the dies don't need adjusting. The die plates fit into the round Lee die boxes, and don't get dirty. The priming system works well, most of the time. Really no downnside to the press for me.

KYShooter73
04-29-2014, 10:07 PM
I bought one about 6 months ago. I use it regularly for .308 and forming 300 blackout cases. Basically I use it for everything but progressive 9mm and .45 acp loading, which I still do on my Dillon. I actually size everything with it, brass and boolits.

1bluehorse
04-29-2014, 10:42 PM
You are aware there are two Lee Turret presses right.....? The Classic Turret will handle most rifle cartridges, is strong and well built...great primer disposal system...the Deluxe model is mostly for pistol but will do small rifle like 223....not so good of primer disposal, and doesn't have the strength of the Classic....

Tristan
04-29-2014, 11:12 PM
The one I was looking at is the Deluxe turret model; based on your information, 1bluehorse, the classic would be a better choice I think.

oldfart1956
04-30-2014, 12:05 AM
Not too long ago I switched to the Lee Classic 4 hole turret from a single stage Lyman Spartan. Have turrets set up for 38/357/44mag/45colt/45acp and setting up for 30/30 and 45/70 at present, and 40S&W and probably 9mm eventually. Love the press. Easy to change calibers and with the Auto-Disk powder system it works fantastic when it's properly set up, and using a powder the Auto-Disk likes. You might have to fiddle with the Lee powder-thru dies a bit as they seem designed for jacketed and not the lead fatties I'm shoving in the cases. I'm using the supplied priming arraignment at present and it works fine, easy to switch from large primers to small. Just can't convince myself to get the Auto-Prime or whatever that odd looking plastic doohickey is called that rocks back and forth. Maybe on the next Midway order. Downsides? Not many. Don't over-run the press. By that I mean don't go too fast. You can spin the turret past the point where the case aligns up with the die if it flies past the alignment detent. A full powder dispenser acts like a flywheel. ;) This press has a long stroke. I measured roughly 30 inches for each stroke so that's nearly 5 feet of travel per cartridge per station, with the handle at it's longest setting. Multiply that by 4 stations to complete a loaded round and that's 20 feet of travel. I just finished 2000 rounds of 45 acp. I rowed that press 40,000 feet if my math is correct. A bit over 7 miles. The way mine is mounted I can't move the handle to shorten the stroke. BUT!!! I can make shorter handles! Rigid 1/2 inch copper pipe fits perfectly and can be made in a variety of lengths and configurations. The current handle is under 12 inches long and has plenty of leverage for handgun rounds. I may modify the pivot point. At present the handle pivots from past vertical (up) to past horizontal (down) so I have to bend over on the downstroke and lean forward on the upstroke. Annoying with spinal arthritis but still acceptable. Probably good for my core muscles. :) Moving the handle on the splined shaft doesn't stop this...it just changes where it occurs. Overall I'd give it a 9 1/2 out of 10 star rating. Still the best bang for your buck. Audie...the longwinded Oldfart..

gunoil
04-30-2014, 12:12 AM
dillon 550 bl or rl

Fyodor
04-30-2014, 12:13 AM
The classic turret is a really good press. The old one isn't that nice.

jmort
04-30-2014, 12:54 AM
The Lee Precision Classic Turret is a great press at a great price.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-30-2014, 03:16 AM
Hey Oldfart,

If you'll adjust your rotation (with dies installed in the turret) to the point that when operated "normally/slowly," the turret just barely clicks into place, I think you'll find that when operated fast, the turret will click right into place without going past the locking detente.

Just a quick tip,

Dave

warf73
04-30-2014, 03:53 AM
I've got the classic cast turret and use it like a single stage press (what I wanted). It is great press for what I use it for, I got tired of removing dies in/out of my Pacific while doing small batches of rifle or pistol.
So far the press has handled loading 380acp, 357mag, 45acp, 480ruger, 204ruger, 300wby and 460wby with zero issue. I've got the 480,300wby and 460wby set up perminent in there own turret plate and my other plate is used for experamintal loads.
If and when you get the press buy 3 or 4 plates (more if needed) as its nice to just rotate the plate pull it out snap out the shell holder and the press is naked ready for the next plate and shell holder.

rollmyown
04-30-2014, 04:59 AM
I love mine. It's the press I use the most. I only load pistol calibers on it and will start 22 Hornet soon. All my rifle stuff gets done on an O frame. If you short stroke one you can apparently break the little square plastic piece that the indexing shaft goes through . I haven't broken one yet, but I have some spares in case I do.
It is the best value product in reloading fullstop IMHO.

Lead Fred
04-30-2014, 05:23 AM
Depends on why you reload, if your looking to pump out SAMMI spec rounds, and a lot of them, and you dont care how they shoot, then a turret will do the job.

If you want the best fit round for the best accuracy, then you do not want a turret

I will never use a turret press for I only make super match rounds

dragon813gt
04-30-2014, 07:11 AM
I will never use a turret press for I only make super match rounds

This makes me laugh. I measured run out w/ my LCT and LCC single stage. They were both the same w/ the same die. And both were minimal. Switching from Lee to Redding dies showed an improvement in run out. The notion that a turret can't load accurate ammo is amusing to me. If you're a BR shooter than I doubt you're using a conventional reloading press anyway.

The LCT is one of the best values on the market. I use it for everything except case forming. I've used it for case forming in the past but I purchased a LCC to prevent undue stress on the LCT.

If you want a press that is a lot faster than a single stage, simple to use and not fully progressive then you want a LCT. If you shoot a high volume then moving up to the likes of a Dillon would be better. The advantage of the LCT for me is that I shoot a lot of different cartridges and turrets are cheap. Changing primer size takes 10 seconds. Changing turrets takes about 5 seconds. If you make up dummy rounds setting the seater/crimper dies takes no time. So that just leaves the powder drop which won't take long to adjust. There really is no downside to the LCT contrary to what some will tell you. And I question if those people have ever used the press.

44Vaquero
04-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Tristan, Here is a link to about the most comprehensive review of the Classic Turret I have seen:

http://www.realguns.com/archives/124.htm

It is a 3 part article so be sure to check out all 3 parts.

Lead Fred here is an article for you too!

https://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11843/guntechdetail/Handloading___The_Wandering_Narrative_Part_II

The best part of this article is this table:

Redding

COL - Comparator 2.182 2.180 2.180 2.181 2.180
Neck Run Out <0.001 <0.001 <0.001 <0.001 <0.001
Bullet Run Out <0.001 <0.001 <0.001 <0.001 <0.001

RCBS

COL - Comparator 2.190 2.190 2.190 2.190 2.189
Neck Run Out <0.001 <0.001 <0.002 <0.001 <0.002

Lee Precision

COL - Comparator 2.181 2.182 2.182 2.182 2.183
Neck Run Out <0.002 <0.001 <0.002 <0.001 <0.002

seagiant
04-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Hi,
Thanks 44! Still keeping my eye open for a used LEE Classic Turret Press! Does not seem to be any for sale? That should tell you something! Admittedly they are not that expensive new but like to buy used! They look interesting as I'm not a fan of regular turrent presses usually (neither beast nor fowl,so to speak) with the auto indexing an interesting concept though!

rhwinger
04-30-2014, 02:05 PM
I enjoy mine, have had it for about 2 years now. Coming up on 900 rounds. Didn't want to sink a fortune into a new hobby. Maybe another press in a few years?

Bob

44Vaquero
04-30-2014, 02:10 PM
Hey Seagiant;

In the past others have referred to the Lee Auto-Index as a semi-progressive. I think that is a fairly accurate name. When up and cranking I can run 250 to 300+ rph with out much fuss. Nowhere near as fast as a true progressive but much faster than a single stage!

I still lust after that Ponsness you have!! That's a work of machinists' art!

dudel
04-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Had one, and kept it for about three months. For ME, it wasn't much faster than the Rockchucker.

I had two main problems (of which I may have contributed to one).

1) While my favorite powder dump (Dillon) mounted and activated on the Lee turret, it would not always fully advance to the next station. It may have been due to the weight of the Dillon, can't say for certain. There are other powder dumps that I'm sure work fine, but the Dillon works great for me, and I was not willing to change.

2) The index washer (little square bits of plastic with a hole in them) kept stripping on me. The first time, I'm sure it's because I manually indexed (although, I can't think of a reason to do it) when the ram was not in the right position. After that, I was careful with the stroke and indexing, and the index washer still stripped.

On the plus side, I lost very little money when I sold it.

The Lee turret was replaced with a 550b, and you couldn't pay me enough to go back to a Lee turret.

Others have much better luck with them, and love em; I'm just not one of them.

ukrifleman
04-30-2014, 04:11 PM
I have a Lee Classic Turret press and load 14 calibres, from .357 to 30-06 with no problems.
I only use the indexing rod for pistol calibres, preferring to turn the die plate by hand for rifle loads.

I use the Lee safety primer feed which is very efficient, don't let the fact that is made entirely of plastic put you off, it works very well.

I know that many people say the mount for the indexing rod is a weak point being plastic, I have stripped one myself, I found the cause was some of the die lock nuts protruded over the edge of the die plate and snagged on the safety prime mount, jamming the die plate and stripping the indexing rod plastic mount.
Since I made sure all lock nuts are flush with the edge of the die plates (I have 14) I have had no more trouble.
A great press for the money.
ukrifleman

Victor N TN
04-30-2014, 04:55 PM
I've had 6 of the Lee Pro 1000. I sold 2 and gave away the rest. I don't care how careful you are. 2 or 3 crimped primers and the pot metal castings go down the tubes. By the way. These were all loading 45 acp only. I use a Dillon XL 650 for 45 and 223 now. Everything else gets run through the RCBS RockChucker.

LeftyDon
04-30-2014, 09:17 PM
Lee Classic Turret doesn't have pot metal castings, the base is cast iron, most of the rest is steel. Been using mine for about a year and find it much faster than a single stage. Stoke is long, but I don't stand while reloading and don't find this to be a problem.

jmorris
04-30-2014, 09:51 PM
Many years ago I bought one of the Lee turrets for $16 used, loaded many rounds with it before I gave it to a good friend that wanted to start reloading.

I have lots of stuff that will run circles around them but I think they are the best bang for the buck to be had.

DEC505
04-30-2014, 10:09 PM
Dollar for dollar I think they are hard to beat.I just started reloading and the Classic Cast Turret fit my budget and requirements. I have no need to load 500 rounds a week so a Dillon 550 would be overkill,for MY needs . I love the fact that I can change calibers and primer size in about 10 seconds .
I have about $450.00 invested and that includes the press,dies and tool heads for 6 pistol calibers and 2 rifle calibers,three powder measures,2 rifle case length trim cutters and two sets of the primer "do-dads" and two balance beam scales.

I have no problems recommending this press to any of my friends.

tazman
04-30-2014, 10:25 PM
I've got the classic cast turret and use it like a single stage press (what I wanted). It is great press for what I use it for, I got tired of removing dies in/out of my Pacific while doing small batches of rifle or pistol.
So far the press has handled loading 380acp, 357mag, 45acp, 480ruger, 204ruger, 300wby and 460wby with zero issue. I've got the 480,300wby and 460wby set up perminent in there own turret plate and my other plate is used for experamintal loads.
If and when you get the press buy 3 or 4 plates (more if needed) as its nice to just rotate the plate pull it out snap out the shell holder and the press is naked ready for the next plate and shell holder.

I agree 100%,with this statement. Lee classic cast.

Mike67
04-30-2014, 10:28 PM
I bought one of the Classic turret presses in December 2013 love it for small batches. I've loaded .303, .30-30, .44 magnum, 7.5x55 swiss, and .308 so far. I use the Lee safety prime but an RCBS uniflow with case activated setup so I'm not limited on powder capacity, work's great in auto advance. Definitely would recommend this press for a beginner or advanced reloader.

Artful
04-30-2014, 11:20 PM
I use Co-Ax for case forming - use one of the Dillons for production of large number of rounds - but for small batches of ammo that I want I use my Lee Turret - I have also loaned my turret out to several people to get them started in reloading - most now have a dillon press but they almost all also have a Lee Turret to go with it.

skeet1
04-30-2014, 11:40 PM
I had a Dillon 550 and yes they are a good press but for my needs it was overkill. I now own a Lee Classic turret and find that it is just what I needed all along. I think for the money the Lee Classic Turret is the best piece of equipment that have ever I owned and for most shooters it would be more than adequate for their needs.

Ken

MaryB
05-01-2014, 02:44 AM
I use the deluxe turret but I took out the indexing rod and just index by hand. Just as fast and more accurate to me. Plus I don't need a stockpile of the that cheesy plastic drive washer. That thing should be made from metal.

dromia
05-01-2014, 03:27 AM
The classic turret press is good but the priming system is iffy. It is fiddly to set up and keep running.

Currently I have the LP running not too bad but the SP is worthless.

I've read and viewed all the fixes still to no avail. The number of youtube videos and articles on how to set up and fix the priming system out there tell you that the priming system is a problem. Typical Lee, good idea poor execution, I suspect that the main problem is that Lee don't do any quality control. I've had two SP replacement primers and none of them have worked satisfactory.

historicfirearms
05-01-2014, 07:44 AM
I've got the classic turret and really enjoy loading with it. I've also got tow Rockchuckers, and had a Loadmaster. The Loadmaster was just too "busy" for me to enjoy it. For me reloading is a hobby, much like fishing or golf. The progressive felt more like work.

The LCT can make quality ammo, just as good as my Rockchuckers. I've never had a plastic drive nut break and have loaded around 10000 rounds on the LCT. I bought an extra drive nut when I got the press on the advice of others to have as a spare, but haven't needed it yet.

Two things I really like on the press are the Lee powder measure and the priming system. The powder measure can throw around 40 grains of powder with the double disc kit. The measure throws accurate charges with almost every powder I've tried. The thing I really like about the measure is that it would be real hard to double charge a case. With auto indexing and the case activated measure, you would have to back the turret up by hand to get a double charge. The priming system is also really good. It took a short while to get the right feel/motion to transfer the primer onto the priming seater. But after you get the feel for it, it is really good. One other thing I really like about the press is the spent primer disposal. The spent primers drop down through the ram, into a plastic tube that can be routed into a can for disposal. Hardly any primer residue or spent primers get on the press. Once in a while you may have to remove the shell holder and the primer seater to clean off spent primer residue to keep the primer seater moving freely. That takes about 30 seconds, ad on my press I only need to do it about every 250 rounds .

rbertalotto
05-01-2014, 09:23 AM
The die plates fit into the round Lee die boxes, and don't get dirty.

I Did not know this! Learn something new every day! Thanks!

BTW, The Lee Turret presses are great. My go to press for everything except resizing difficult brass. They the RCBS Rock Chucker comes out.

Short Range
05-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Have been looking for a press to mainly use for decapping brass or small reloading jobs and have been eyeing the Classic Turret Press pretty hard. Wanting something that catches all the primers and primer residue instead of having them sneak past the catch bin and end up all over the floor.

Lee says that every primer is caught--guaranteed. Is that true? Does the inside of the ram ever plug up and have to be cleaned out?

Lefty Red
05-01-2014, 09:24 PM
I like mine. Have mine set up for Lyman M Die, Powder thru Die, Seating Die, and LEE FCD.
I resize and prime on my Classic Single Stage Press and Hand Priming tool.

I think its great. But then, I reload with a LEE Classic Loader too. :)

Lefty

steelworker
05-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Lee says that every primer is caught--guaranteed. Is that true? Does the inside of the ram ever plug up and have to be cleaned out?

I have loaded thousands of rounds on my LCT, and I don't remember ever spilling a spent primer on the floor.

I also bought the Inline Fabrication ergo handle and strong mount. I highly recommend both products. That roller handle is the way to go.

tazman
05-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Have been looking for a press to mainly use for decapping brass or small reloading jobs and have been eyeing the Classic Turret Press pretty hard. Wanting something that catches all the primers and primer residue instead of having them sneak past the catch bin and end up all over the floor.

Mine misses maybe one out of 200 or so. Still much better than the other way.
I have loaded 5000 round minimum on this press with no issues at all. I expect others on here have done many times that. It is a great press.

Bohica793
05-01-2014, 10:36 PM
I purchased mine this past week and just completed loading 200 rounds through it -- 100 45ACP and 100 9mm. I'll be setting it up for 357 and 45Colt when I get my other two turrets in next week. For years I have been loading on a Lee Classic Cast Single Stage and been quite happy, but I have to say the Classic Cast turret is a joy. I will still load rifle on the single stage (45-70, 270), but I think all my pistol loading just changed homes.

Ben
05-01-2014, 10:58 PM
The classic turret press is good but the priming system is iffy. It is fiddly to set up and keep running.

Currently I have the LP running not too bad but the SP is worthless.

I've read and viewed all the fixes still to no avail. The number of youtube videos and articles on how to set up and fix the priming system out there tell you that the priming system is a problem. Typical Lee, good idea poor execution, I suspect that the main problem is that Lee don't do any quality control. I've had two SP replacement primers and none of them have worked satisfactory.

I own 4 different Lee presses. 2 ea. Lee 1000's, a LoadMaster, and now the Lee Classic Turret Press.

All fine working presses, all gave problems seating primers.

So.......I seat primers in a separate step with a Lyman Ram Prime. Flawless primer seating with this tool.

Ben

MaryB
05-02-2014, 02:03 AM
My lee turret storage, I toss a shop towel over it when not in use

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/Gun%20engraving/2013-07-16_02-44-53_379_zpsfe49d98a.jpg

Have made a couple for people and they like them.

bedbugbilly
05-02-2014, 09:03 AM
I have a Lee Classic 4 hole - I love it. Well built, solid and dependable.

The nice thing about the Lee press is that once you get it and it's your press . . . you can repaint it any color you want . . . . green, blue, etc. . . . very convenient for those that buy stuff based on color. :-)

dragon813gt
05-02-2014, 10:10 AM
The nice thing about the Lee press is that once you get it and it's your press . . . you can repaint it any color you want . . . . green, blue, etc. . . . very convenient for those that buy stuff based on color. :-)

I've wanted to paint mine Dillon Blue just to ruffle some feathers for a long time :)

Boyscout
05-02-2014, 10:11 AM
My LCD is set up for 45 ACP right now. I resize my brass and prime separately right now. The biggest issue I have had is the indexing bushing which broke on me early on. If I short stroke, I occassionally don't index correctly. This mostly seems to be a problem with only one station though.

I do not care much for the double disk set up on the powder measure so I replaced it with the adjustable charge bar. It is dead on accurate and works well with the 5.3-5.6 gn loads of Win 231 I use on my 45 ACP rounds.

The handle seems too long for me and I may replace it. I have been very happy with the LCD and may set up a turret for either .223 Remington or 40 S&W.

DLCTEX
05-02-2014, 07:40 PM
I have had my classic cast turret since they came out, 6-8 years? We have loaded literally 10,000 + rounds on it and have never had to replace the plastic bushing. I oil the shaft regularly. The reason it is plastic is that it is a safety part that breaks before anything else if you short stroke or do something else wrong. It is cheap and easily replaced. I have spares if I ever need them. I have had no problems with the safety prime in large or small since I watched a viseo and saw how to set it correctly. The only time it misses a primer is when it runs dry. I have used the Lee powder measure and my Little Dandy measure on it. I have to turn the Little dandy by hand. Some of the best reloading dollars I ever spent.

Tristan
05-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Wow, lots of great feedback. Somewhat varied, but useful...

Seems the preponderance of feedback is positive on the press, but with some caveats. The primer handling has been noted several times, as well as the indexing dongle being made of plastic (though I understand the reasoning of being a sacrificial part...)

One member referenced damaging the press while depriming crimped primers. Anyone else have problems with crimped-in primers causing the press trouble?

My choice is coming down to the classic turret kit from lee, or a Rockchucker Supreme reloading kit. The RCBS kit has a $50 rebate just now...

Anyone using the classic turret for 30-06?

rondog
05-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Late to the party but, I have one too and love it! It's really all I need in a press, I'm not after high volume or super high precision rounds. I'm sure I could make rifle ammo just as precise as I wanted, the press will certainly do it if I did my part. And yes, I've done tons of .30-06 with it!

Good press, I'd recommend it. The square drive thingy will be just fine, just don't try to turn ther turret by hand when the ram is below 1/2 stroke. The priming assembly and I don't get along, but there's many other ways to prime.

Never had any damage from crimped primers, don't know where that's coming from.

Digger
05-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Another vote for the Classic Cast ....
been using it since I started a few years back ...load 9 , 38/357,40,45 and 308
Suits my pace easily , great to learn on and also produce a certain number with
If you remove the center shaft , you have a single stroke machine , rotate by hand.
love the plate switching capability for calibers and have deprimed military 308 no problem.
Priming has worked good for me , large and small , just paid attention to the details.
Excellent all round or in-between single or progressive machine

xacex
05-03-2014, 04:56 PM
My lee turret storage, I toss a shop towel over it when not in use

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/Gun%20engraving/2013-07-16_02-44-53_379_zpsfe49d98a.jpg

Have made a couple for people and they like them.
You should sell those. I need one for my 4 hole turrets for the classic turret press(the best), and the 5 hole turret heads for the loadmaster.But, I would also need quite a few more holes.
I also have both the standard turret press, and the classic cast turret press. The standard sucks for depriming, and is now exclusively used for sizing boolits. The classic turret press rocks for depriming because it dumps all of the primers in a tube, and keeps things clean and easy to collect primers.So I use that one for brass prep work before tumbling or reloading. I don't deprime on the loadmaster because that one catches them inside of the ram, and gets it gummed up with junk.

Tristan
05-03-2014, 07:24 PM
You should sell those. I need one for my 4 hole turrets for the classic turret press(the best), and the 5 hole turret heads for the loadmaster.But, I would also need quite a few more holes.
I also have both the standard turret press, and the classic cast turret press. The standard sucks for depriming, and is now exclusively used for sizing boolits. The classic turret press rocks for depriming because it dumps all of the primers in a tube, and keeps things clean and easy to collect primers.So I use that one for brass prep work before tumbling or reloading. I don't deprime on the loadmaster because that one catches them inside of the ram, and gets it gummed up with junk.

Yeah, in double-decker models! Nice storage for the turrets.

MRBACKHAND
05-03-2014, 10:41 PM
I've had my classic turret about 3 months now and I love it. It is my first press and I have had no problems with the primer system or anything else. I use it to load 9mm,40s&w and 223. I installed it onto the harbor freight bench grinder stand which is on sale right now for 29.99 I used a 25% off coupon so I got it even cheaper. I also bought there tumbler with coupon got it for 23$ and got the 25 pound bag of walnut shells for 21$ also used another 25% of coupon and got a free flashlight.
The press fit perfect and also has a shelf to keep your extras on. I was going to get the Dillon 550 but after looking at the cost of dies and other parts the lee classic turret press was the way to go for me. All of that money I saved has helped me stock up on brass,powder and boolits :) I did get the gun powder throw bar to replace the disk which cost 11$ shipped it was very easy to setup. I forgot to mention I bought the classic kit that included a scale also. I ordered thru midway USA they also had a 45$ off coupon so it was the best deal I could find. I'm very happy with my choice and would recommend the lee classic turret.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Had one, and kept it for about three months. For ME, it wasn't much faster than the Rockchucker.

I had two main problems (of which I may have contributed to one).

1) While my favorite powder dump (Dillon) mounted and activated on the Lee turret, it would not always fully advance to the next station. It may have been due to the weight of the Dillon, can't say for certain. There are other powder dumps that I'm sure work fine, but the Dillon works great for me, and I was not willing to change. This was you. Had you opted to use the Lee Pro Auto Disk powder measure, you would have gotten the same powder dump quality/accuracy and it would have been the proper weight to balance on the turret. The RCBS Uniflow with a case activated powder drop works well as well.

2) The index washer (little square bits of plastic with a hole in them) kept stripping on me. The first time, I'm sure it's because I manually indexed (although, I can't think of a reason to do it) when the ram was not in the right position. After that, I was careful with the stroke and indexing, and the index washer still stripped. Sounds like your index wasn't adjusted properly. I owned mine for a year and never stripped the first one. I only sold it because I wanted something faster and couldn't justifying two auto-advance presses for reloading.

On the plus side, I lost very little money when I sold it.

The Lee turret was replaced with a 550b, and you couldn't pay me enough to go back to a Lee turret.

Others have much better luck with them, and love em; I'm just not one of them.

Some folks can't seem to get the hang of how to adjust one and for those folks, the 550 is usually the best choice, as it's easier for them to get adjusted.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-03-2014, 11:36 PM
My choice is coming down to the classic turret kit from lee, or a Rockchucker Supreme reloading kit. The RCBS kit has a $50 rebate just now... I advice against buying a kit of any brand, as there's always some junk pieces in it. Instead, get yourself a solid list together and order the good stuff the first time. You'll be happier and save yourself the frustration of dealing with the junk items.

Anyone using the classic turret for 30-06? It will work for all the WWII milsurp calibers as well as the 30-06, no problem.

hope this helps,

MaryB
05-04-2014, 12:15 AM
I do sell a few but they are not cheap, solid red oak and a lot of sanding... more turrets no problem, 5 hole no problem but the larger ones were plywood

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/2013-08-01_15-13-48_771_zpsde77bd56.jpg

Three44s
05-04-2014, 01:08 AM
Another +1 for the Lee Classic Turret press.

I have had mine for 3-4 years.

For the OP looking for a used one: If you factor in how many Lee has sold ........ and how many you seen for sale used ......... you might be better off just buying a new one ......... you are in a bit of a wait otherwise ........ not being snarky ....... just realistic.

Best of luck with your decision

Three 44s

NATE40
05-04-2014, 02:27 AM
I used a lee classic turret press for years, when the four hole I got it. Used it for years from 30.06 to hand thousands of 45 acp. About 3 years ago it started to not index properly from wear. So instead of repairing or replacing it I bought a hornady progressive and it has never worked properly not even 20 rounds without malfunction primer system is pure ****. Bought a new classic turret press and I'm happy

Three44s
05-04-2014, 11:42 AM
To side step to the Hornady progressive:

I own a LNL AP and it's a gem.

It did not come out of the box that way ...... it had to be degreased and re-lubed. In particular, the powder and priming systems had to be "dried out". Some of the shell plates had slight roughness ........ the EZE eject was a bit rough and a wee bit of sanding with fine paper worked that out as well.

All the issues passed quickly. I followed the directions from Hornady and soon I had a very fine machine.

Three 44s

1bluehorse
05-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Hi,
Thanks 44! Still keeping my eye open for a used LEE Classic Turret Press! Does not seem to be any for sale? That should tell you something! Admittedly they are not that expensive new but like to buy used! They look interesting as I'm not a fan of regular turrent presses usually (neither beast nor fowl,so to speak) with the auto indexing an interesting concept though!

If you're looking for a good deal on a LCT there's a guy on E-Bay (of all places) that's selling it (new) for about 87 bucks with free shipping, not sure how many they have left....I just bought a Classic cast SS for 85 with free shipping...just go to the main page and type in Lee Classic Turret and it'll come up.....

I had a LCT for several years and never had any problems with it. Agree it's a good press for the MONEY as are most Lee products....I sold mine with a bunch of "extras" and bought an older model Dillon 450 from Alvarez Kelly.....much better system for my uses/needs/wants.....probably about 150.00 difference between what I've got into the 450 vs. what I got from the Lee stuff to load the same calibers....for you fella's that seem to be concerned about the "colors" we have on our benches, mine now has...two green progressive presses, one blue, very versatile, manual progressive press, and one red single stage press......I buy reloading gear not because of color but for what I feel fits my methods, not simply because it's the cheapest.... :coffee:

Digger
05-07-2014, 10:52 PM
If no one has mentioned yet ....
Kempf gun shop .. picked mine up back when , they are still in business , they do a package deal with the "cast turret " .
they package dies of your choice , powder drop and other accessories ... kit price of $ 219.00
Pretty good for some one stepping into the game or adding to ?
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=26&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

Tristan
05-17-2014, 01:37 AM
Hey Seagiant;

In the past others have referred to the Lee Auto-Index as a semi-progressive. I think that is a fairly accurate name. When up and cranking I can run 250 to 300+ rph with out much fuss. Nowhere near as fast as a true progressive but much faster than a single stage!

I still lust after that Ponsness you have!! That's a work of machinists' art!

44Vaquero, any chance you've put up a video on youtube cranking 'em out that fast? I'd love to see it! That's getting close to what a Dillon rl550 can do...

Mausermeister
05-17-2014, 07:33 PM
I just got my new Lee Classic turret press set up and tried it out last night. Set up the dies and cranked out 100 rounds of 40s&w in less than an hour. I believe I will be able to do 200 to 250 rounds an hour easy once I get used to it. Way faster than my single stage doing batch runs.

I just wish the stroke wasn't so long. I've got the handle adjusted as short as I can and clear the front of the work bench. I may cut it flush where it is and then will be able to shorten it another 2 1/2 to 3 inches.

I think I will get a rifle powder die and another set of 223 dies and use it for my 55gr plinker rounds. I will still use the RCBS single stage for all my precision rifle rounds.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-18-2014, 07:26 AM
Mausermeister,

Go to inlinefabrications.com and take a look at his roller handles. I believe he makes one that'll make you very happy for your new press. He has nice light systems as well for very reasonable prices. His business link is at the top of the page. I've done business with him on a handle for my RCBS Pro 2000 auto advance and I'm extremely happy with his products.

JesterGrin_1
05-19-2014, 05:01 AM
Ok my Simple thinking is that unless you are a high volume reloader then I would highly suggest to take a hard look at the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press.

Before I purchased the LCCTP I had a couple of RCBS Single Stage Presses and a T7 Turret as well as a Lyman T Mag II. I Got the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press and after using the Lee just 1 time I sold the T7 and the Lyman T Mag II and never looked back. I still do not know why I kept the RCBS Single stage as it has not been back on my bench since I mounted the Lee a few years ago. Maybe I kept the RCBS out of nostalgia or in case I decided to have a press that I could grab and take someplace for grins. But at any rate even if just starting out I will tell people to get the Lee Classic Cast Turret press and just forget about those single stage presses. I sure wish when I started loading in 2007 someone told me that lol. So yes I feel the LCCTP is dang hard to beat if at all. But if you are going to be loading volumes of ammunition then I would say to get the Dillon. But like myself and probably most reloaders that do not shoot Volumes of ammo or like to load small batches of different types of ammo or even trying out new loads the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press will fill that position very nicely. :)

Cowboy T
05-20-2014, 10:46 PM
JesterGrin, you said it very well. This is what I keep trying to tell people in California. For the hobbyist reloader, the Classic Turret Press will serve very well.

losttrail
05-21-2014, 09:09 AM
I've had my 3-hole Lee Turret press for somewhere around 25+ years. I load .38Spl, .357, 9mm, .45ACP, .44Mag, .30 Carbine, .223/5.56, .243, .308, 7.62x39, .270, .30-06. Who knows how many thousands of rounds have been loaded on this old thing. Crimping gets done on Lee Challenger Breech Block press.

All .40-65 gets done on the Challenger.

Weakest point on the Turret press is the nylon indexing gear, I always keep 3-4 on hand.

Now that the kids are moved on to college, my shooting time is increasing and thus my need to reload more and more efficiently. Sadly, our daughters never got the shooting bug as hard as I did.

That said, I'm looking at replacing the Turret press with a Hornady LNL AP or Dillon, not sure about 550 or 650. Hornady will most likely be the one due to $$ and ease of caliber changes.

Leatherhead Bullets
06-03-2014, 11:32 PM
Like many others have said, after years of single stage, I don't know if I can go back. I really like my LCT press. Get the double disk set and the fine adjustment disk for the powder dump. Don't forget the rifle powder through riser. It makes the mounting of the powder drop easier. All in all, money very well spent.

FWest
06-04-2014, 07:40 AM
I started with a single stage, then the Classic turret press. Sold it and got a Loadmaster-*** then went to a LnL Ap. Now I miss the simple turret for smaller batches and don't have the time/patience to load on the single stage. Picked up the one on ebay prior to the price going up. Should have it tomorrow. The classic turret is the best press for the money IMHO.
Also no multi stage press is without some issues but they are minimal on the Lee classic.