PDA

View Full Version : Breathing protection

wch
04-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Do you use breathing protection while smelting and casting?
Which of many available have you found to be most comfortable and efficient?

ShooterAZ
04-29-2014, 05:14 PM
I don't, but probably should. I smelt with a covered dutch oven, and try to stay away from it while it's melting. Then I just stay upwind from the smoke as much as possible when I'm scooping clips & fluxing with sawdust. I light off the sawdust so it doesn't smoke as much.

Calamity Jake
04-29-2014, 05:31 PM
^^^^^^^ Me too.

waltherboy4040
04-29-2014, 05:36 PM
Just the cheap throw away masks, sometimes they get pretty dirty so eventually I will get something better.

gwpercle
04-29-2014, 05:36 PM
Nope. But I like to live dangerously . I eat Spam and live in a house with ASBESTOS siding on it. My 1968 Chevelle doesn't have air bags either....I'm tempting fate on all fronts.

jsizemore
04-29-2014, 07:09 PM
Respirator when I smelt from the paint and grease burning off. I've got asthma. Clear breathing when I use it and not so much when I don't use it.

dikman
04-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Nope.

David2011
04-29-2014, 09:25 PM
No, but I do stay upwind and a windless day where I live is rare. Note that there are no lead vapors at casting temperatures. Lead starts to vaporize at over 1100 degrees F. Can't blame you for trying to avoid the smelting crud, though.

David

BNE
04-29-2014, 10:45 PM
No, but I smelt outside and I stay upwind of the smelter. I have a small hood with suction over my casting pot. Just had my blood tested after a year of more lead exposure than any other time in my life and no lead was detectable. - Your mileage my vary.....

JeffG
04-29-2014, 11:40 PM
When I use it, it's a 3M mask used for painting cars. They have a couple canister filters with pre-filters, both of which can be replaced. They are warm to wear but they work well. You can get them at an automotive paint supply house but I think I have recently seen them in Home Depot and Lowes around the safety glasses and such.

Shiloh
04-30-2014, 05:08 PM
No.
There is adequate ventilation in the garage.

Shiloh

MrWolf
04-30-2014, 07:24 PM
Mask with vapor filters and full face shield. I can taste it if I don't have the mask on.

tazman
04-30-2014, 07:35 PM
If you are in an enclosed area where there is no air movement or you are standing directly over the pot, I would recommend some form of protection. If you are outside or in a large area with air movement, it isn't really needed unless you have other breathing issues(allergies, asthma,etc).
I worked in an environment that used 1500 degree lead as a medium for heat treating steel for over 40 years. We worked indoors but had plenty of ventilation. I was tested for lead every year and never had an elevated lead level.
We only had one man who did during that entire time but he broke all the rules we had for safety. He smoked, drank, and ate food while he was working without washing his hands.
If you are concerned about it, protective masks are cheap.