PDA

View Full Version : To Sell or Not To Sell? Alter or Keep as is? Black Powder Bullet Moulds

Themoose
04-29-2014, 02:38 PM
I recently acquired two BP moulds that I'm not sure I will use as is, modify them or just put them up for sale. I would welcome the opinions of other Muzzle Stuffers to help me out. The first mould is a Mountain Mould double cavity that is marked MM506 580... I cast a few up just to see; they measured .506 and are weighing @ 575-576 with my alloy... the mould is somewhat puzzling to me as it appears to be a gas check mould...Kind folks who read an earlier post about this mould think that it was meant for a 50 cal black powder cartridge gun(50-90) or perhaps a .500 S & W... An alternate thought I had was that it was ordered for paperpatching up to .512 for a Sharps. The only use that would have with my BP guns would be to have it have the blocks machined to produce a larger bullet and remove the gas check shank for my .54 Renegade.

The second mould is a .446 minie mould made my Shiloh... it cast a minie that weight 235grains. I bought it off EBAY originally thinking it was not a hollow base bullet, but a solid weighing closer to 400 grains. I was going to use this for paperpatching in a couple of .45 muzzleloaders I have. I could have the mould altered by shortening the plug to make it a heavier weight or make it a solid base....

Both moulds are in very good condition and I'm not sure I want to tamper with them... Advice from anyone would be appreciated,

TheMoose

MadHamster
04-29-2014, 05:10 PM
I would definitely sell the second mould, there's this guys in Czech republic that would love to have such a light minie for his Ardesa Patriot pistol, you know, for reasarch and such :)

johnson1942
04-29-2014, 05:42 PM
the moose, what is the length of the bullet for the .45 paperpatch. i bet a good mould could be made from it. tell me the length and i will do the math.

Bullshop
04-29-2014, 06:28 PM
I am interested in the MM if your selling.

Sweetpea
04-29-2014, 07:00 PM
PLEASE don't alter the MM...

Might as well have Tom @ Accurate molds cut you what you are looking for in a new block...

Themoose
04-29-2014, 07:19 PM
Roger,

The OAL of the Shiloh Minie is 0.785"... The skirt or hollow base is about 0.475"(harder to measure exactly).

Bullshop and SweetPea, I guess it would make sense to sell the MM mould as is if it fits someones needs instead of altering it or trading it for a mould that I could use. If you are interested in it let me know via PM and make me an offer.

Thanks,

TheMoose

TheMoose