PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Experience With Cabin Tree Locking Mould Handles?

DR Owl Creek
04-29-2014, 01:33 PM
How do the Cabin Tree locking mould handles perform compared to regular handles? Do they actually help cast more consistently? Are they worth $70.00?

The description says they fit most Lyman, RCBS, and SAECO 1 or 2 cavity moulds. Will they also fit NOE 3, 4, or 5 cavity moulds?

Is there anything else you can tell me about them?

Thanks

Dave

John 15: 13

country gent
04-29-2014, 04:27 PM
I just bought a set from buffalo arms and have cast around 600-800 40 cal 400 grn Nasa bullets with them. The mold is an old west by Bernie Rowles. After the first session I modified them by adding a 3/4" wood handle to the opening rod. This allows me to flick them open with the hand holding them much easier. My bullets have been running in the 2 grain range so far with this set up. I like them and will probably buy another set or 2 later on. One plus is if casting multiple molds at the same time you can set them down before the sprue has cooled with out an issue.Theu work as advertised and are well built.
I have MS and numbness issues so these allow a level of mechanical consistency I can no longer achieve by hand and feel. I dont believe they will make up for a poor quality mold or one in poor shape. But they will provide a level of consistency feel dosnt always.
I have found setting the mold blocks on the straight edge of the paint roller pan I use heps pre alighn molds before closing with any handles also.

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-30-2014, 02:20 AM
I bought a set at Quigley four years ago. The next year I bought another set. The next year I bought another set. Last year I was recovering from Endoma (the VA does not like to use the words Agent Orange and Cancer in the same book, so they say Endoma) Surgery so I did not make it. Left me a nifty scar about a foot long across my tummy from removing it from the back side of my left kidney.

Good stuff, you can leave them to your grandkids...

Rich

Doc Highwall
04-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Besides mould temperature and lead temperature affecting bullet weight the amount of pressure you exert on the mould handles also affects bullet diameter that will affect bullet weight. The Cabin Tree handles once set keep the mould closing pressure consistent and the temperature of the lead which can be controlled by a PID control, leaving only and the casting cadence as a variable to bullet weight.

I also own a set and consider them a valuable asset in making the best bullets.

DR Owl Creek
04-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Thanks, Guys!

I appreciate your feed-back. It sounds like they might be a worthwhile investment.

Idaho Sharpshooter,
I understand about Agent Orange. I had a few friends who were effected by it, and know what it did to them.

Dave

2 Corinthians 4: 8-9

SSGOldfart
05-09-2014, 12:56 AM
Anybody got a link for cabin tree locking handles?

RedHawk357Mag
05-09-2014, 08:15 AM
Here you go, SSG
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=159278&CAT=3847