PDA

View Full Version : Quickie test for Sorting WW's

Eagle66
04-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Like everyone else, I’ve sorted WW's using guesswork, bending, tapping, nippers, and dark-of-the-moon divination. I've even looked in the WW seller's websites so I'd know what they look like. A few weeks ago, while sorting through several buckets, I was wishing for a test that would be fast, easy, reasonably accurate, and above all, cheap.

The little light in my head came on :idea:, so I ran out and got an automatic center punch from HF for $3.

http://www.harborfreight.com/spring-loaded-center-punch-621.html

If I am unsure about what a weight is, I just give it a punch while it is on my steel workbench. The sound and size of the divot tells me all I need to know. FE & Zn make a “clank” sound and leave a tiny divot. Lead makes more of a “clunk” sound and leaves a divot that is much larger. SOWW divots are noticeably larger than COWW’s.

This way, I can test half a dozen pieces faster than I can pick up nippers & pinch one. It’s sort of a poor man’s quickie BHN test. It’s also very useful when checking scrap or identifying that unlabeled chunk of lead that “someone” left on your bench. With a little practice, you can even tell what type of lead it is by the size of the divot. The size of the divots in COWW’s, #2, 5%Sn, etc. are different enough to tell them apart. I just punch the stranger and compare it to divots in known alloys. Fast, easy, reasonably accurate, and above all, CHEAP.

62chevy
04-29-2014, 01:34 PM
That's a great idea and will save my poor hands from acing all night.

**oneshot**
04-29-2014, 02:37 PM
I use a small hatchet. I set-up with a chunk of firewood taller than a 5 gallon bucket as a cutting post. 4 buckets for sorting, SOWW COWW steel and zinc. Set weight on block, tap with hatchet, slide it off block into the correct bucket. Very fast and much easier on hands than cutters.

62chevy
04-29-2014, 03:53 PM
I use a small hatchet. I set-up with a chunk of firewood taller than a 5 gallon bucket as a cutting post. 4 buckets for sorting, SOWW COWW steel and zinc. Set weight on block, tap with hatchet, slide it off block into the correct bucket. Very fast and much easier on hands than cutters.

That's a good idea too. That's why this site is so good having all those great ideas.

a.squibload
04-29-2014, 04:06 PM
I have one of those spring punches, why didn't I think of that?
Good idea, I hate using the nippers.