PDA

View Full Version : Lead Tip getting crushed when loading

-Mischief
04-29-2014, 12:57 PM
I just started making some soft lead tip 224 bullet using BT's dies and I went to load one into an empty case last night...the die crushes the lead tip. Do I need to get a specific bullet seating die?

Czech_too
04-29-2014, 02:34 PM
Depending on what profile of bullet seating stem you're presently using, you may be able to 'modify' it by using a hot glue gun.
Clean the seating stem, them melt a bit of glue in/onto the end of the stem, them take one of your bullets and press it into the glue. Oh, first use some Vaseline as a release agent, DUH. When the glue dries you should be good to go. You may have to trim any excess, but other than that... If you should want to change back to the original profile, the glue should come right off.

r1kk1
04-29-2014, 02:34 PM
It sounds like it. Is your load compressed?

Take care

r1kk1

-Mischief
04-29-2014, 02:44 PM
There was no load present. It was an empty test dummy piece of brass.

JSnover
04-29-2014, 05:50 PM
I chucked my seating stem up in a lathe and bored a hole through it. Problem solved.

-Mischief
04-29-2014, 06:28 PM
Sorry but I'm not the engineer, mechanical, tool and die type of guy. :neutral:

JSnover
04-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Well, if you want a simple fix, the first idea was pretty good. You could also try gluing pencil eraser inside the die, or something like that. A place I used to work had some little tiny plastic washers, used for insulators. A couple of those might have worked.