PDA

View Full Version : RCBS powder measure

trucker76
04-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Got one of these with my rock chucker kit. It's just the manual one you set with a screw then pull the lever to drop a throw. Up until now I have just loaded pistol ammo and it has worked flawlessly dropping the same load every time with bullseye, true blue, and 2400. Last night I decided to try and reload some 7mm rem mag. I was using H1000 and it wouldn't measure for poop. Every throw was different. I'm guessing it was the rather large extruded powder grains. Guess it's time to get a trickler.

hermans
04-29-2014, 08:05 AM
I have the same one, been using it for the last 30 years. As you said, with pistol powders, no problem, but the rifle extruded grains makes it rather inaccurate. I normally set it to throw about 2 grains short of my load, then use a simple trickler together with my RCBS electronic scale to get it absolutely spot on.
Happy loading!

Tatume
04-29-2014, 08:24 AM
A lot depends on what you consider accurate. I use the RCBS Uniflow with several extruded powders, and find it throws +/- 0.2 grains consistantly. It takes good technique to get good results.

ncfyrfyter
04-29-2014, 09:37 AM
I won't use the powder thrower for extruded powder. Some of the kernels get broken up in the dispensing process, which changes their burning characteristics. I'm sure some will disagree with me, but it is one of the first rules of fire behavior. Just my .02.

Tatume
04-29-2014, 09:43 AM
I won't use the powder thrower for extruded powder. Some of the kernels get broken up in the dispensing process, which changes their burning characteristics. I'm sure some will disagree with me, but it is one of the first rules of fire behavior. Just my .02.

You are correct, but there is no measurable difference. I have compared test batches of 20 each thrown and weighed, and there is no discernable difference in accuracy or velocity.

My purpose was not to test the effect of broken kernals, but to test for a difference attributable to charge weight variation. However, the test is applicable to your question too.

Take care, Tom

upnorthwis
04-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Had the same experience with mine. Now I whack the handle two times on the upstroke. Problem solved.

country gent
04-29-2014, 10:01 AM
The uniflow is a good measure. Well made very little plastic where it matters. I used one for many years with decent results. The addition of a baffle helps alot with extruded powders. Cut an oval from a 20 ounce pop bottles side to fit the hopper with an angle on the sides of about 30-45* then on center line of lower legs cut a half hole around 1/2" to 3/4" on each side. Install this in hopper to just above start of casting to start with. This baffle will maintain a consistent powder wieght in the measure from full hopper to a little below the baffle. With stick powders it does help alot. Playing with the hieght can make a big diffrence also. WOrk on consistency with the measure every throw has to be the same speed, bumps, number and force, and the drop. Work with it and as you become more consistent accuracy will go up also

Tn Jim
04-29-2014, 02:02 PM
Whenever I reload for my 7-08 I use IMR 4350. The Uniflow doesn't do well with this powder at all, with or without the powder baffle installed. I have always (since the early 90's) thrown my charge into my scale pan about two grains short, then used a trickler to measure in the last little bit until the scale balances.

bandmiller2
04-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Myself I avoid the "log" powders there are plenty of short cut or ball to handle most needs and they measure smooth. Frank C.

bbqncigars
04-29-2014, 11:21 PM
I've always gone: upstroke (filling cavity) - pause - downstroke to stop - then back off of stop slightly - hit stop, and repeat. So it goes up....down.tap.tap repeat for next case. This usually gives me consistent throws with most powders. The exceptions are handled with the B & M. Oh, and all of my other PMs have baffles in the hoppers.

Mk42gunner
04-30-2014, 01:44 AM
I do not like powder tricklers. I have had several and got rid of all but one that I keep so I won't buy another.

I started reloading with a Lee Loader for .410 shotgun, so a dipper is natural to me. When my best friend and I started loading centerfire rifle cases we used a coffee cup to hold powder then used a teaspoon to fill the scale pan.

This is still easier for me 35 years later, even using a powder measure to throw a light charge and finishing with a dipper or spoon.

Robert

Lead Fred
04-30-2014, 05:39 AM
Being that in some circles they call me Mr Odd Six, I reload a lot of extruded powders.

I have a 1965 Redding drop, that cuts them up, like butta

I can still get parts for it, but the only thing I bought a new was the clear plastic tube. mine yellowed, but is still in use.

Bayou52
04-30-2014, 07:49 AM
This is still easier for me 35 years later, even using a powder measure to throw a light charge and finishing with a dipper or spoon.

Robert

That's been my technique, too. I've never owned a powder trickler - until now. Came across a used RCBS powder trickler for 5 bucks, so I thought I'd try it out. Will do so next time I'm on my reloading bench.

Dan Cash
04-30-2014, 10:33 AM
Most people don't own a rifle platform that is accurate enough to demonstrate the difference in +/- 1 grain and if you have worked up to the load you are using, there is no safety issue either. There is too much that is important in the reloading and shooting game to be concerned about fractional variations in a powder charge.

EDG
05-01-2014, 12:40 AM
RCBS makes a powder baffle that fits that measure.
It might improve your results.