PDA

View Full Version : Lathe will set you free

bandmiller2
04-29-2014, 07:47 AM
Its an understatement to say we have some serious gun nuts here. Get yourself a lathe big enough for barrel work and have at it. There are enough books written on barrel fitting to sink a small fishing boat. Older manual lathes are not that expensive now and there are night courses to learn their use. You want a 358 winny you thread and chamber the barrel and screw it on. Be DanGed sure you understand headspace and do your homework. Frank C.

Wayne Smith
04-29-2014, 07:51 AM
There are some few of us who have problems with that. I transpose numbers, I will dial a phone # wrong two or three times before I get it right while looking at it. Second, my wife told me years ago that I could not buy anything more for the kitchen unless I found a place to put it. Wanna guess what my garage looks liked?? I would have to move, and after 20 years here that idea is frightening.

CastingFool
04-29-2014, 08:00 AM
I used to run a lathe at work. It was a J&L #2 Universal lathe. I loved running that machine. Just wish I had access to it now. I once used to make a sizing die to neck size 50 bmg fired brass, just so I could reseat a bullet in it, and make a dummy round. Used the lathe as a press.

Bill in Ky
04-29-2014, 08:43 AM
They are truly a pleasure to run. I am lucky to be a home machinist with a pretty well equipped shop. If I see something I would like to have I just make it..

aspangler
04-29-2014, 10:27 AM
I have a 1935 model "A" Southbend with treading attachment that I use quite a bit. I can cut a 5 ten thousands cut with it if I am careful. .001 is easy.

MBTcustom
04-29-2014, 10:30 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about. [smilie=1:

bedbugbilly
04-29-2014, 03:57 PM
In college, I learned on old lend/lease surplus LeBlond lathes. They were such a pleasure to work on and learn the different aspects of machining on one. We also had lend/lease vertical and horizontal mills and surface grinders. I majored in Industrial Education - metalworking and taught for a few years. I am a firm believer that anyone who "wants" to learn, "can". There should be lots of good machining courses at such places as community colleges - if you have the desire - get your feet wet. There are lots of good used lathes out there as well. I have passed on many of them over the years as I just didn't have the place to put them.

A lot of younger folks are "hung up" on the new technologies - which is understandable. However, like any craft, you need to learn the "basics" of machining first. While a lathe or a mill might not be "up to snuff" in regards to digital readings, etc. - fine work can be done on a old lathe or mill that may be 75 or a 100 years old - if you set you mind to do precision work.

Preacher Jim
04-29-2014, 04:10 PM
Do it by hand so you can honestly say I machined this, not some computer did it.
Preacher Jim

rbertalotto
04-29-2014, 04:42 PM
"Metal Turning is Knitting for Men!"

Gtek
04-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Problem is it ends up kind of like this firearm thing. I have a 48 over 8, well a little one sure would be cool for the little stuff. Yes it is a Chinese mill, but the price is too good and its hardly been run. I think I must have those quick change heads. I need some more carbides. 2 flute, 4 flute, collet sets. Man those boring bars are cool, wait a minute I do not have a knurling head set. I think I need a another mill vise, and I need an angle one also. The STUFF takes up more room than the tools now. All the wife repeats is she hopes I go last.

Whitespider
04-29-2014, 07:09 PM
I NEED one... I've been sayin' that for years...

Eddie2002
04-29-2014, 07:13 PM
South Bend Heavy 10 inch tucked away in the back of my shop. It dates from 1942 so it was used for war production and has a little wear. I'm not good enough with it to do barrel work but it is nice to have around for model cannon turning.

bangerjim
04-29-2014, 07:30 PM
I know..................I have 5 of them!

A metal lathe..............the only shop tool that can make parts for itself!

bangerjim

blikseme300
04-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Buying a lathe is merely the down payment, but worth it. Good tooling needed gets expensive real quick and will quickly be more than what you paid for the lathe.

I don't yet have the desire or need for a large lathe and am satisfied with my Chi-Com mini lathe as this allows me to fabricate the small pieces for my reloading and sizing tools.

Space is a consideration for me but if the empty lot behind my house becomes mine a workshop will be built. I have made a number of offers to the owner but he wants way more than it's worth. I am patient as I know he can't afford to build and the property tax is eating him.

Polecat
04-29-2014, 08:46 PM
I have two lathes and a mill and lacking a lot of knowledge to run them. I make my own sizing dies for a Herters lubicater and i made a couple of check makers. I would like to make my boolit sizing dies like lee's but I cain't seem to get it right with a boring bar. 'm thinking about adjustiable reamers. advice needed JerryL

wistlepig1
04-29-2014, 09:02 PM
If you want one, then get it, learn to use it and the fun and "things" will come. 8 years ago I got one and wise I had gotten one much much sooner. As said, the tooling is where the $$$ are.

pretzelxx
04-29-2014, 09:34 PM
I honestly wish I could afford one, and have room for one. I want a drill press lathe and a mill. Wifey won't let me cause literally have no room! Some day....

dragon813gt
04-29-2014, 09:34 PM
A lathe and end mill are on the list of tools I will buy when I build a shop in the basement of my garage. I don't know how to use either at the moment. But I can learn from books easily, learn quickly and I'm sure there are videos on YouTube explaining things. The local community college offers machining courses every semester. I can't make them because they start before I get home from my job :(

bbqncigars
04-29-2014, 11:14 PM
If I ever get the money, I'd have a dedicated shop containing a good manual lathe, vertical mill, and a shaper (cool old school machine). Never got to use a shaper much, but it's a tool that could do a lot of things in the right hands. A DRO is nice, but I learned on the old manual tools, and they're still good enough for me (especially when you set up your dial indicator correctly).

lreed
04-29-2014, 11:46 PM
Hello. A lathe is handy as a pocket if you tinker with reloading stuff,guns or anything that needs fixin'. Buy the best you can afford,and when a bargain comes along be ready to upgrade,someone will want your old machine.

There are countless videos on youtube that has very good info on operation,tool sharpening ect. Most of what little I know of machine operation came from there. A lathe is one of my favorite toys!!

Buck Neck It
04-30-2014, 12:54 AM
My wife let me bring my old South Bend lathe home when I sold the rest of my shop tools. The motor is single phase, but the machine is 8.5 feet long. It takes up a chunk of garage. And it is heavier than it looks. If I croak someone else is going to have a project removing it.

What would you rather have against the wall of your shop, a lathe or a pile of scrap plywood? I burned a lot of wood to make room, no regrets.

smokeywolf
04-30-2014, 01:13 AM
I need a taper attachment and a DRO for my lathe. Was just going thru tooling a couple of nights ago and found 6 or 7 KDK tool holders; one a 5C collet holder. Have a Dorian post now, sold my KDK post 4 years ago. Think I'll put them on Swappin' and Sellin'. Also need to get rid of numerous duplicate sizes of 5C collets. Maybe then I can shop for a taper attachment.

There is always another tool that you need.

smokeywolf

Wayne Smith
04-30-2014, 07:48 AM
There are some few of us who have problems with that. I transpose numbers, I will dial a phone # wrong two or three times before I get it right while looking at it. Second, my wife told me years ago that I could not buy anything more for the kitchen unless I found a place to put it. Wanna guess what my garage looks liked?? I would have to move, and after 20 years here that idea is frightening.
After posting this I should admit that I have two wood lathes that I use frequently and love using. Making something useful out of firewood is fun.

LtFrankDrebbin
04-30-2014, 08:18 AM
I find that machine tools have one big thing in common with boolit moulds.........They breed!

hhhmmm got a lathe now I need a .............

hhhmmm got a 158gr RN mould gotta get a .............

"Hi my name is LtFrank?!"
"Hi LtFrank"
"I discovered about x years ago I needed a boolit mould?!"

cr2
04-30-2014, 08:52 AM
My first lathe was an old Logan. It was already about 50 years old when I bought it in 1982. I paid $1000 for it....use it for 10 years, and then sold it for $1000. Once they get that old, they really don't depreciate any more. The main problem with a lot of the old lathes is the very small dials on the handwheels. My new (20 years ago) lathe has large dials that are a pleasure to use.

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-30-2014, 11:03 AM
I would not even be messing with cast stuff without my lathe. I'd be broke buying sizers, misc tools etc.
Just walk over and make what ever you need. Best investment ever.
it really is like knitting for men :mrgreen:

bangerjim
04-30-2014, 12:24 PM
I need a taper attachment and a DRO for my lathe. Was just going thru tooling a couple of nights ago and found 6 or 7 KDK tool holders; one a 5C collet holder. Have a Dorian post now, sold my KDK post 4 years ago. Think I'll put them on Swappin' and Sellin'. Also need to get rid of numerous duplicate sizes of 5C collets. Maybe then I can shop for a taper attachment.

There is always another tool that you need.

smokeywolf

What do you need a taper attachment for? I made one years ago for my SB 9 and only use it mabe once every other year. and I do a LOT of lathe work!!!!!! Tailstock offset it perfect for the short tapers I make. And simple to do!

smokey: If you want the plans to build one, PM me with your email addrss.

bangerjim

smokeywolf
04-30-2014, 02:36 PM
What do you need a taper attachment for? I made one years ago for my SB 9 and only use it mabe once every other year. and I do a LOT of lathe work!!!!!! Tailstock offset it perfect for the short tapers I make. And simple to do!

smokey: If you want the plans to build one, PM me with your email addrss.

bangerjim

Because I don't have one.

Seriously, chances are, you didn't build yours until the need arose. Although it's always good to be able to justify tooling expenses based on a particular job, I don't like to wait until I need something. Many machinist tools are like fire extinguishers; they're not worth a darn until you have a fire. Then, nothing else will do.

I've always enjoyed designing and building/machining my own tools, fixtures and whatnot. The tools you make yourself are nearly always the ones most cherished.

I worked full time as a machinist for 30+ years and only used a taper attachment maybe 10 times. But, I'm a tool junkie and when I don't have something that I perceive as expanding the usefulness of my lathe or mill, I can't help but keep looking for it, until I find it at a price I can afford.

Recent acquisitions have included a DuMore tool post grinder, a right angle attachment W/arbor, spacers and support for horizontal milling for the Bridgeport. Another (this makes 3) dividing head. And, about 60 or so 5C collets, partial broach set, another height/surface gauge and several more goodies.
These were in addition to monetary payment for work (side work) above and beyond normal duties on a job I did for Technicolor a couple of years ago.

Once we move to our retirement land and I can at least double my machine shop space, I'll get more serious about buying or fabricating a taper attachment for the lathe. Hopefully your offer will still stand.

smokeywolf

paul edward
04-30-2014, 02:45 PM
When #2 son was in high school he got interested in model rocketry and designed a hybrid fuel motor. It became clear that he needed a lathe to make the parts to prove his design would work. I sprung for a Mini Lathe from HF, showed him how to use it and left a few reference manuals where he could find them. Within a week, he was cutting extra fine internal threads. Eventually he got the motor to work. This interest also took up much of the time and energy that some teenagers devote to mischief. On his first day in college, he got a job in the engineering lab machine shop (the old guy that ran the shop told me he seldom finds kids who know how to use machine tools). After finishing as a Mechanical Engineer, he eventually landed a job designing and making things. Kinda like throwing Brer Rabbit in to the briar patch. The little Mini Lathe remains next to my reloading bench, and has become one of my most useful tools.

smokeywolf
04-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Great story paul.
Good on you! Not all dads can or will actually mentor their sons.

smokeywolf

bangerjim
04-30-2014, 04:37 PM
Because I don't have one.

Seriously, chances are, you didn't build yours until the need arose. Although it's always good to be able to justify tooling expenses based on a particular job, I don't like to wait until I need something. Many machinist tools are like fire extinguishers; they're not worth a darn until you have a fire. Then, nothing else will do.

I've always enjoyed designing and building/machining my own tools, fixtures and whatnot. The tools you make yourself are nearly always the ones most cherished.

I worked full time as a machinist for 30+ years and only used a taper attachment maybe 10 times. But, I'm a tool junkie and when I don't have something that I perceive as expanding the usefulness of my lathe or mill, I can't help but keep looking for it, until I find it at a price I can afford.

Recent acquisitions have included a DuMore tool post grinder, a right angle attachment W/arbor, spacers and support for horizontal milling for the Bridgeport. Another (this makes 3) dividing head. And, about 60 or so 5C collets, partial broach set, another height/surface gauge and several more goodies.
These were in addition to monetary payment for work (side work) above and beyond normal duties on a job I did for Technicolor a couple of years ago.

Once we move to our retirement land and I can at least double my machine shop space, I'll get more serious about buying or fabricating a taper attachment for the lathe. Hopefully your offer will still stand.

smokeywolf

You are as bad as me! My shops collect tools & tooling like a pile of dog doo collects flies!

If it does not exist, I make it. Most of the tapers I cut are various short Morse and collet-type tapers (3c ,5c, r8).

With a full vacuum heat treat furnace, I can turn out some pretty "cool" :grin: tools. But all my lathe and mill cutters are TIN carbide inserts. I make the holders.

I have five index heads one of them is CNC for gear cutting. ( I always hated counting holes!).

Are your tools in Living TechniColor!!!!!!!!!! Ha.....ha!

banger

dpoe001
04-30-2014, 04:51 PM
the machinist where i work laughs at me, when ever i ask him for pointers on how to make things on my lathe.

smokeywolf
04-30-2014, 05:23 PM
Does this mean I now have an in with a heat treater? :wink:

I did all the in-house heat treating while at MGM. No casing, just O1, W1, A2 and a little 440c stainless. Case hardening and nitriding got sent out.

I have a lot of goodies but would have to go a long way to catch up to you.

Although sometimes solid carbide is the only way to go, most of the time, for cutters in the mill I prefer TiAN coated HS-Co with a 37 to 45 degree helix or a gain helix.

In the lathe I use mostly CNMG/MCLNR(L) insert tools. For boring bars, nothing beats solid carbide with a triangle or trigon insert.

smokeywolf

Doughty
04-30-2014, 06:55 PM
Smokeywolf,
Would you happen to know of a source for bearings for the old DuMore spindles?

Dutchman
04-30-2014, 07:54 PM
I have two lathes and a mill and lacking a lot of knowledge to run them. I make my own sizing dies for a Herters lubicater and i made a couple of check makers. I would like to make my boolit sizing dies like lee's but I cain't seem to get it right with a boring bar. 'm thinking about adjustiable reamers. advice needed JerryL

Adjustable brass lap and some lapping compound... emery cloth and crocus cloth. Go slow, measure frequently.

Dutch

Dutchman
04-30-2014, 08:02 PM
All this talk and NO PICTURES!! What a rip off :(

http://images59.fotki.com/v420/photos/4/28344/9161136/DSCF2452-vi.jpg

http://images55.fotki.com/v1604/photos/4/28344/9161136/photo-vi.jpg

http://images61.fotki.com/v440/photos/2/28344/6717603/DSCF1026-vi.jpg

http://images55.fotki.com/v1618/photos/2/28344/6717603/DSCF8292b-vi.jpg

Just got this. Was donated to my shop.
http://images9.fotki.com/v178/photos/4/28344/12832006/Carrolldividinghead002640x496-vi.jpg

smokeywolf
04-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Very nice setup Dutchman. Mighty few people have a shaper in their home shop. We had a 20" G & E shaper in the MGM Studios Machine Shop. I can't tell you how many 1-2-3 blocks, parallels and dozens if not hundreds of other blanks for milling and grinding came out of that shaper. We almost always had an apprentices working on 1-2-3 blocks, fly cutters, parallels or some piece of handy tooling.

Is that a Dayton, Ohio Gerstner made chest I see or a Chinese Gerstner?

I have 2 Chinese made oak chests; one is Harbor Freight junk, the other is actually quite nice. I also have a genuine Dayton, Ohio made Gerstner 92XL in cherry.

smokeywolf

zack
04-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Love my 6X19 Craftsman metal lathe. It's old but then so am I. Sometimes I wish it was bigger but it'll do.

Dutchman
05-01-2014, 12:56 AM
Very nice setup Dutchman. Mighty few people have a shaper in their home shop. We had a 20" G & E shaper in the MGM Studios Machine Shop. I can't tell you how many 1-2-3 blocks, parallels and dozens if not hundreds of other blanks for milling and grinding came out of that shaper. We almost always had an apprentices working on 1-2-3 blocks, fly cutters, parallels or some piece of handy tooling.

Is that a Dayton, Ohio Gerstner made chest I see or a Chinese Gerstner?

I have 2 Chinese made oak chests; one is Harbor Freight junk, the other is actually quite nice. I also have a genuine Dayton, Ohio made Gerstner 92XL in cherry.

smokeywolf

The chest is from Grizzly.

My half-brother's father & grandfather both worked at MGM in Culver City as keygrips probably 1930s to 1946 (when he was shot to death). Their name was Weimer. Salt Lake City Mormons.

I traded for the South Bend shaper out of a metal fabrication shop in Miami, Oklahoma. Was an old school model. Works fine and makes a nice smooth surface... wait I have pictures:).
http://images116.fotki.com/v695/photos/4/28344/9161136/DSCF2462sbs-vi.jpg

http://youtu.be/K8fRmlr8Opg

MaryB
05-01-2014, 02:24 AM
Never used a lathe but I abused my drill press using it as a milling machine when I was making amateur radio amplifier cavities from brass. Transmitting and receiver preamplifier stuff. More than once I was wishing for a lathe to turn a round part instead of sending it out.

303Guy
05-01-2014, 02:45 AM
I bought a new bench top Chinese lathe. It works but the graduations on the fees are worse than useless. They do not have anything to do with actual measurements! But I fitted a a digital readout to it. It's OK but not great but a whole lot better than nothing. And yes, a lathe sets you free.

Just a word of caution - be very aware that it only takes a small slip to damage or destroy the thing! Learn the safety rules before you start. A feature found in older machine shops are dings in the ceiling and everything else around the radius of the chuck. That's from the habit of taking ones hand off the chuck key while it's still in the chuck! That's just one of them.:mrgreen:

Catshooter
05-01-2014, 04:25 AM
I never had the room or the spare cash for the big lathes/mills.

I've been using a Sherline lathe and mill for more than twenty years now and love them. No good for rifle barrel work but they do everything else. They don't take up much room and the tooling isn't costly either.

I'm just about done with the latest project. I couldn't find an extractor for an H&R 22 Hornet that I re-chambered to 219 Zipper. So I'm making two (one spare).

Cat

smokeywolf
05-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Smokeywolf,
Would you happen to know of a source for bearings for the old DuMore spindles?

Doughty,
Sorry for the delay in answering your question. No, don't know a general source for specifically DuMore spindle bearings. However, if you have the old bearing, you can just measure it and usually find the replacement based on size and class, rather than the brand and model device from which the old bearing was removed.
Most, if not all bearings in grinder spindles are "class 9" or "ABEC 9" and are usually sold in sets of 2 or 3 "matched" bearings in a set.

smokeywolf

Sensai
05-01-2014, 03:33 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about. [smilie=1:

Now that's just sooo wrong ! I know better !! :bigsmyl2:

Doughty
05-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the reply smokeywolf.
A couple years back, when the bearing went out, I tried at Dumore who referred me to Sopko. The man there said that he had not had bearings for my spindle for many years. He also said that he didn't know of any alternate bearings that would work. Said I might be lucky enough to find some setting on some guys shelf, somewhere. Other than that he suggested a new spindle which cost more than I paid for the whole grinder set. I did what I could to refurbish the ones I had. Got a few more months out of them, but they're froze up again. Just hoping to have that lucky day sometime.

Gtek
05-01-2014, 09:29 PM
What about matching ID/OD and possibly making sleeves and shims for ID/OD or width?

TXGunNut
05-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Too many toys, not enough time as it is. I barely know how to use a drill press so I'm probably better off without one...at last until I get my shop built.

bangerjim
05-01-2014, 11:13 PM
"There's ALWAYS room for Jello".............and more tools!!!!!!!!

banger

Pinsnscrews
05-02-2014, 02:12 AM
So Bangerjim, I have this TC Barrel lug than needs a couple thou milled off it...

Someday, I will be able to pull that trigger and have a lathe and mill.

paul edward
05-02-2014, 02:42 AM
Just a word of caution - be very aware that it only takes a small slip to damage or destroy the thing! Learn the safety rules before you start. :mrgreen:

After working in the university's engineering machine shop, my son observed that there are two kinds of people, those that had a pocket knife as a kid, and thus grew up as tool users and everyone else. His goal was to keep the non-tool users from breaking the machines.

jlchucker
05-02-2014, 12:55 PM
I used to run a lathe at work. It was a J&L #2 Universal lathe. I loved running that machine. Just wish I had access to it now. I once used to make a sizing die to neck size 50 bmg fired brass, just so I could reseat a bullet in it, and make a dummy round. Used the lathe as a press.

The absolute best part of my working life was when I worked at the J & L factory in Springfield, Vermont. I miss those days. They produced lathes, grinders, and optical comparators. A lot of great machine tools were produced in the US. Most of those companies are history now, but you'd be surprised at the amount of those old machines, right up through the CNC models they were making, are still around and in daily use.

smokeywolf
05-02-2014, 03:55 PM
In some ways the shift from conventional (manual) lathes and mills to "computerized numerical control" machines has been a boon to the home shop machinist. The '80s and '90s threw a lot of commercial level machinery out into the consumer market. We are still benefiting from that.

One of the down sides to many of the NC operators and programmers is that they didn't learn to be machinists before they started programming and operating the computer controlled lathes, mills, grinders, etc.

You can't become a machinist by taking a couple of classes.

Sorry to stray a little from "lathes setting you free".

Can't imagine being without my lathe and mill. Someday I'd like to do a NC retrofit on my Bridgeport.

smokeywolf

Doughty
05-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Gtek,
I intend to try that when (if?) I get some free time.

Jim Flinchbaugh
05-03-2014, 10:34 AM
I would love to find one of them little Southbend shapers. The rhythmic
kachunk, kachunk, kachunk, sound they make while running is mesmerizing

smokeywolf
05-03-2014, 03:00 PM
Doughty is there any way you can get a fairly accurate measurement on the spindle bearings in your DuMore grinder? For two years, I was purchasing manager for MGM (Metrocolor) Film Laboratories and sourced and purchased upwards of $90,000.00 worth of bearings per year. Kinda like to take a stab at identifying your bearings based on their dimensions.

Unless your bearings are proprietary to DuMore, their size can be translated to a bearing number(s) which identify them to the bearing market. This may enable you to buy the same bearing, classified by dimension and class in the bearing industry, rather than DuMore part number.

smokeywolf

JeffinNZ
05-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Certainly does. The other weekend I fixed the Lyman 55 powder measure by building a new handle. Last evening I made a new firing pin and striker for my side be side 12 gauge.

Doughty
05-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Boy, I kept getting that database error page. Talk about withdrawals. Anyway, since I had dug the grinder out, thought I might as well tear into it again. Got to talking to a friend here in Missoula about it and he knew a guy. Went to see the guy and took one of the old bearings with me. He hears my sad story, then goes back into his office for a while. When he comes out he says he found a source. $250 a bearing if I want them exactly the same. $160 each if I can use slightly less precision. But, and there's always a but..., he says my bearings LOOK like they're okay. He thinks I may be getting the pre-load on them wrong. But... neither I nor he know what the preload should be or how to set it. The spindle is a Dumore Type T on a Model 5.021 grinder. I checked the Dumore website and found a manual for a Model 57 which is apparently a newer version of mine but.... has a different type spindle. So,,, anybody got anymore ideas. (Talk about thread wander.)

MBTcustom
05-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Boy, I kept getting that database error page. Talk about withdrawals. Anyway, since I had dug the grinder out, thought I might as well tear into it again. Got to talking to a friend here in Missoula about it and he knew a guy. Went to see the guy and took one of the old bearings with me. He hears my sad story, then goes back into his office for a while. When he comes out he says he found a source. $250 a bearing if I want them exactly the same. $160 each if I can use slightly less precision. But, and there's always a but..., he says my bearings LOOK like they're okay. He thinks I may be getting the pre-load on them wrong. But... neither I nor he know what the preload should be or how to set it. The spindle is a Dumore Type T on a Model 5.021 grinder. I checked the Dumore website and found a manual for a Model 57 which is apparently a newer version of mine but.... has a different type spindle. So,,, anybody got anymore ideas. (Talk about thread wander.)

Doughty,
I build exceedingly accurate bearing assemblies.
First of all, you can't tell jack just by looking at them. They could look perfect, but run like dog.
Second, $250 is a worthy pricetag for a precision bearing. Divide the cost up over the hours you will be apreciating them, and it doesn't look so bad. I rebuilt the spindles in my machines and didn't go any less than ABEC7 and yeah I paid through the nose for them, and was very happy to do it.
Third, the preload is exceedingly important to proper function and long life of the bearings. If you over load them, you ruin them permanently. If you underload them you ruin them permanently. This is about knowing what the pressure is you are trying to hit and hitting it right on the nose the first time by using a torque wrench, or free weights etc etc etc.
If you can't find the specs on your particular bearings, shoot me a PM, and tell me what number they are, and I'll find out for you, or I can take a pretty good guess at it. Matter of fact, just shoot me the numbers and I'll drop a dime to a buddy of mine. He can probably get the info you need, and I might be able to score you some spinners for less coinage (no obligation of course). A buddy of mine found a bearing for his ancient Ferguson tractor that was numbered "2" or something. There was a local place that had that bearing on the shelf covered with dust IIRC.
Point is, I think that if King Solomon used a steel ball bearing on his LE King Tut low rider chariot, that there is somebody in the south that has that bearing on the shelf! LOL!

Ghost101
05-06-2014, 01:27 AM
Smokeywolf and Dutchman,

I remember the machine shop over at MGM. I was doing "Party of Five",(camera), when they were selling everything off. It had become Sony by then. The camera dept. machine shop over at Warner Bros. was very nice as well as the machine shop at Panavision. Always was interested in the machine shops, but never learned how to use them.
Sad thing is that none of the studios have their machine shops anymore. As well as the Mills, SPX shops or camera and sound depts. Glad I retired.
Several years ago I bought a Smithy combo. Had two buddies over trying to get it sorted out and ended up sending it back for a refund.

Ghost101

Any Cal.
05-06-2014, 02:33 AM
Well, I got a metal lathe so I could make tooling for the wood lathe. Of course, the metal lathe is no good without tooling, so a 4 jaw chuck, qctp and holders, and some carbide bits appeared in the garage somehow. Later, I realized there is no point in cutting metal unless you know how big it needs to be, and how big it is; that is when the 0-4" mics, spring calipers, telescoping gages, small hole gages appeared. Other things like the huge drill index, dial indicators, machinist square, taps, just kind of showed up somehow.

Laying out a larger project showed how badly I needed a decent loaded square, and then a set of inside and depth mics showed up, as well as a small machinists chest. I picked this stuff up at nice prices, but I am not sure how much longer I can go on saving all this money...

I say all this half in jest, I very much like the lathe and what it can do, but it looks like it would be very easy to spend far more for the capability to build things than just buying what you need outright. I have less than $1k into the lathe and tooling/measuring equipment, but it still would have cost less to buy everything I have built, and probably will build for a while. Consider the lathe if you already have hand tools, taps and dies, files, grinder, saws, maybe a welder or three, oxy torch or forge, etc., and not before then, in my not-so-expert opinion.

kawasakifreak77
05-06-2014, 03:22 AM
Man I want a lathe & mill so bad I can taste it! I've always been a tinkerer & having the liberty to make my own parts would be just incredible!

Once I started doing okay racing, I picked up a couple sponsors, one of which has his own lathe & mill. Long story short I needed a set of action wrenches for my model 7. Not only did he help me build them, but he let me run the machines a bit & bought the material!! I did bring his favorite beer though, which we had AFTER we made the wrenches.

I was like a kid with a new BB gun. Imagining all the trinkets I could make for my motorcycles, guns & even being able to repair / modify parts for my plane is exhausting!

smokeywolf
05-06-2014, 03:35 AM
Ghost101, I was last man out at the Sony (formerly MGM) Machine Shop. The Studio Manager's office commissioned me to liquidate all the assets in the old shop. To the best of my knowledge, the only "studio machinist" still working in a studio machine shop is Bobby (won't say his last name) in the Universal Studio Machine Shop.
I've been in both of Panavision's shops; the prototype and production shops. The Panavision machinists are top notch, no compromise craftsmen.

Ghost101, I spent over 20 years in the MGM/Turner/Lorimar/Warner/Sony Machine - Metal Shops; was in charge of the Machine Shop and Sheet Metal Shop from '96 to 2002. If you and I don't know each other, we quite possibly know some of the same people.

My lathe, mill and a chunk of my tooling was payment for selling off the assets in the shop. My rotary phase converter came from the Studio Electric Shop; had to actually pay money for that.

smokeywolf

Ghost101
05-12-2014, 06:55 AM
Smokeywolf, I got started at Disney in 1969, Local 727. Moved onto local 80 in the early 70's. With my 727 card I was able to work with SFX for many years. In the early 80's, I dropped those cards and went into the Camera Dept. I have just recently retired as a camera operator an second unit DP. I'm sure we have at least seen each other. If I wasn't cleaning your shop at some point, then latter on I would be having something made for a camera. I have always been bad with names. But I remember a machinist over at Fox in SFX, name was John Burke, I believe. He had been at the other studios, but met him at Fox. He would show me how to run his lathe an mill when I had the time. I was 727 at the time and enjoyed my two years working in that shop. The mill there has been gone for quit some time. That was about 29 yrs. ago. Well you were at Sony when party of Five was filming. Do you remember a red harley parked next to our stage door? An the guy that would ride his bike on the lot daily. That's me. LOL

JSH
11-23-2019, 08:03 AM
6 year old thread, you might want to pm whom ever you want to reply. Smokey is still around I know.

rondog
11-23-2019, 09:21 AM
Wow, brings back memories - I was a lathe operator for many years in a lot of different machine shops! Really miss it, I'd love to have a good toolroom lathe now.....

bob208
11-23-2019, 10:08 AM
I started with a 12 inch craftsman-atlas at 21. now I have a 9inch and 14 1/2 inch south bend. also a 6x24 clausing vertical mill plus a 9x42 enco vertical mill I bought new. I also have a 9x36 horizonal burke 333 mill a 6x18 surface grinder and a 12" shaper.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-23-2019, 10:40 AM
I'm drooling! Maybe some day...

30coupe
11-23-2019, 03:29 PM
If I had the space, I'd love to have a larger lathe. I've got an old 6" Craftsman/Atlas lathe that I inherited from my uncle. I wish I was more skilled at using it, especially the tread cutting portion. I still use the heck out of it, and it will stay with me until they put me under.

samari46
11-24-2019, 02:01 AM
Like one member said the lathe is only the down payment. I just got the Grizzly & Travers Tool catalogs as I need a couple things. I've been buying goodies as the need has arisen and got a huge dose of sticker shock. Way oil set me back $50 for 5 gallons and it's 3 times that now. Oil for the gearbox was about the same. Small town and the only Mobil oil dealer only had both in 5 gallon buckets. Forget about precision instruments. My Kennedy machinists tool box is so full I can't move it. Started out with a Sears Craftsman 6" metal working lathe when I got out of the navy in '67. Graduated to a Jet 13x40 gearhead about ten years ago. Still grind my own tool bits except the ones for threading. never could get the 60 degree angle right. Those I buy. A.W. Warner has a excellent selection of both unground tool bits and they will grind ones for you. Excellent old time company. MSC or Manhattan Supply Company is another company I've bought from in the past. If buying mini mills stay away from the ones with the round column, pain in the butt to keep aligned. One of my friends had one and hated it right from the start. Get the square column ones. Stayed away from doing machine work as the cataracts were getting bad. Just had my eyeballs relined and new glasses on order. 12/6/19 cannot come too soon as I get my new shades then. Take your time read all you can. South Bend has a booklet I highly recommend "How to run a lathe" And if you can scarf up a cope of the navy's "Machinery Repairman 3&2 or petty officer 3 & petty officer 2 is another good one. All manual lathes,drilling and milling,shapers etc. I found a copy of the first book in the trash at work and the second in a used book store. Rule #1 don't get dicsouregd if your tired or rushing you will goof up. I did plenty of times and I'm still learning at 73. Read up on lubrication of your machine. Lotta stuff I used years ago isn't around anymore. So take the instruction book to your lubricants dealer and find out what's available and will it do the same lube job the newer lubes for your new lathe. Buy a few squirt type oil cans and mark them as to what the oil is for. Or get some key tags made of brass and use wire ties or brass chain stamped with the oil and usage. Well I've taken enough of your time. Frank

charlie b
11-26-2019, 08:02 AM
Nice old thread.

I was lucky. First had a machine shop class in high school. Then father-in-law who was a master screw machine operator for Bendix back in the 50's. Learned a lot from him.

I also ended up with a used Craftsman 6" in the 90's. I found out Atlas still had parts for it so it was easy to refurbish.

Interesting given the old conversation above. I gave it to a guy who did stage setups back east, all the weird stuff like pyro and moving platforms and such.

Hootmix
12-06-2019, 07:51 AM
I have Cummins 7x12 ( china ) and end-mill ,, " THEN !!!,, a older feller ( I won't be 75 till 2020 ) offered me a 1942 9A south bend ,, I refurbished & painted I use'm all the time ,, just not very well ,, love making stuff .Now they will be in my estate sale.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

wnc435
12-06-2019, 08:53 AM
I am a lathe addict myself have acquired 3 that get used. Craftsman 109 is by far used the most, it is next to reloading room, no wife no worries. I would be lost without it. no DRO's just dials caliper snap gauges old school. Sheldon sits in the garage by its self until needed. and the Logan is in the shop next to the Enco mill.