PDA

View Full Version : Need help, Ohio just opening rifle for deer...

Deriust
04-29-2014, 03:50 AM
As this is my first post I don't want to be too controversial or start a riot or anything, :mrgreen: but Ohio has for the very first time opened rifles for deer hunting. :guntootsmiley:

Upon hearing the news I was understandably overjoyed, and may have even wept openly a little, (don't judge me!) as I have been long waiting this moment, but to my horror they only opened it to certain calibers, most of which I have no experience with in a rifle format, as they are all straight walled cartridges, and most of them pistol cartridges at that, at least the ones I have experience with. (except for the 45-70) Anyway, here are the allowed calibers:

"The Ohio Wildlife Council approved these specific straight-walled cartridge rifles for deer hunting: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson."

Now I know that's a big list, and as there are all kinds of opinions out there, here comes the part where I don't want to inadvertently destroy the entire internet.....but.....

--> I want a rifle suitable to knock whitetail sized critters down stone dead (if possible as I don't want to chase them, it's tough to do in a wheelchair) at ranges as close to 200 yards and under as I can get. (most shots will likely be 100 yards or (way) less but I want the accuracy to extend out to 200 yards if the shot/deer is right and know I am going to make a clean, accurate shot) <--

I have experience with 90% of these applicable rounds in pistol format, but zero in rifle format, as when I did use rifles hunting it was out of state and I was allowed to use necked cartridges, so I'm use to extremely long range, extremely flat shooting rounds, and none of the above are that. SO....Knowing all this, (and sorry about the exhaustive post I just wanted to be thorough with what I was asking) what would be a general consensus as to the "go to" rifle in the above stated calibers only for this application?

Thank you all in advance! (oh and one more thing, we are setting up to handload but are not quite there in knowledge yet, so for the sake of the post can we limit the answers to calibers with readily available (HAHAHA) commercial loads? :popcorn: (oh and obviously lever action only) :D

Djones
04-29-2014, 04:20 AM
444 marlin and 45-70 are enough gun to take on elk, brown bear and bison. My local gun shops carry both factory ammo. I would not consider either a handgun cartridge.

Deriust
04-29-2014, 04:31 AM
444 marlin and 45-70 are enough gun to take on elk, brown bear and bison. My local gun shops carry both factory ammo. I would not consider either a handgun cartridge.

as they are all straight walled cartridges, and most of them pistol cartridges at that, at least the ones I have experience with. (except for the 45-70)

Thanks man. I don't consider the 444 or the 45-70 to be handgun cartridges, I simply meant that on that list the only ones I have any experience with are the handgun cartridges.

Deriust
04-29-2014, 04:34 AM
I heard a quote once (although I do not know who said it) that
"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." That is what I am looking for. If I can "make" the shot, as described in my first post, I want the rifle to be more than adequate for the job. (There are a lot more variables from my hunting platform than most)

crappie-hunter
04-29-2014, 07:06 AM
This may be of interest.

I have one of these in a 10" contender, and am thinking of getting another in carbine length barrel for Ohio hunting.

Back in the days of my IHMSA shooting I had one in a Dan Wesson Revolver very accurate Took several deer with that one.

The only problem right now is brass and loaded ammo , but it can be had.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=121&

Hickory
04-29-2014, 07:15 AM
http://eabco.com/cntndr01.html
Here is another place to look for Contender rifle barrels.

smokeywolf
04-29-2014, 07:46 AM
If you do not already have a levergun (or two or three) in 45-70, taking all your criteria into consideration, that would be my first choice. Suitable for dropping any critter in North America. Good out to 200 yards and beyond (allowing for trajectory). Ammo available in most LGS and other sporting goods stores (when any ammo is available). When set up to reload, great to cast for and reload and super for black powder.

And welcome to the forum sir.

smokeywolf

pworley1
04-29-2014, 08:24 AM
A 405g 45 70 cast from a Ruger #1 or 1885 Winchester will take anything you might want to shoot.

Tatume
04-29-2014, 09:02 AM
PM sent.

Dan Cash
04-29-2014, 09:04 AM
Considering the repeating rifles you will likely find close at hand, I would suggest the following calibers: .45-70, .444 (brass is scarce), .44 Magnum. They meet your criteria.

C. Latch
04-29-2014, 09:15 AM
.375 winchester would make a lot of sense, IMO.

Tatume
04-29-2014, 09:34 AM
You can tell from some of their choices that Ohio legislators aren't worried about wounding game animals.

badgeredd
04-29-2014, 09:36 AM
Having been raised in NW Ohio, I suggest you limit your range to 150 yards as a general rule. While 444, 45-70, 38-55 and 375 Win. will all work out to 200 yards, I think you owe it to yourself and the game to learn to be proficient with a rifle at a self limited range nearer to 150 yards rather than 200 yards. I am sure part of the reason for the list of cartridges Ohio has is to limit the range one is likely to take a shot and therefore limit the stray bullet syndrome. The thinking of the politicians is flawed, but I feel it is in your best interest to decide about the cartridge choice based on the spirit of the law rather than the the letter of it. I would suggest that the 444 and the big 45s may be a problem from a chair which I feel would be something to consider. Personally, I'd try to find some friends that would let me try their guns before I purchased one for some perspective on the available cartridges. My opinion for what it is worth............

Edd

Maximumbob54
04-29-2014, 09:40 AM
I'm bucking the trend and would say the .357 magnum will do anything you are asking with a lot less recoil. If you really need to stretch out then the XTP or FTX (yeah, I know they are jacketed) are leading the trend in accuracy at longer ranges and there is just a few really good bullet molds to pick and choose through if you want to cast. The balistics from a rifle are a good jump from any revolver of the same caliber and a Rossi 16" carbine is very easy to handle with all kinds of sight upgrades if you need them. You could even buy the version for mounting a scout scope or red dot if you needed the help. Yes, the big bores will take anything you want but right here and right now you seem to only be hunting deer and if you are confined to a wheel chair then the .357 isn't going to send you rolling backwards...

gnoahhh
04-29-2014, 09:50 AM
It begs the question- Why allow such romping stomping calibers like .45-70 and .50-110 and disallow ones like .30-30? Another reason to disbelieve the wisdom of elected officials (or un-elected ones for that matter). Still in all, at least they are moving in the right direction.

akajun
04-29-2014, 09:55 AM
IF it were me I go 38-55 or 375 win. you can find both of those in lever action rifles, and can load the 38-55 to 375 velocities pretty easily. Both take cast boolits readily and have low recoil. Also if you use an gun without a tubular magazine, you could take advantage of the many spitzer bullets in that diameter. I wouldnt blink at taking a 250-300 yard shot with either of those calibers.

Pb2au
04-29-2014, 09:55 AM
It begs the question- Why allow such romping stomping calibers like .45-70 and .50-110 and disallow ones like .30-30? Another reason to disbelieve the wisdom of elected officials (or un-elected ones for that matter). Still in all, at least they are moving in the right direction.

My sentiments exactly. I snickered when I read the list of approved chamberings and saw that 30-30 was not on the list, but 50-110 was. So, it would be OK to shoot lengthwise through a cow, but a 30-30 is just too much. But, it is indeed a step in the correct direction.

DougGuy
04-29-2014, 10:19 AM
The most logical choice from the point of view of effectiveness at the range you specify, would be the 45-70. It is tried, tested, proven beyond a doubt, easy to find reloading data and components as well as loaded ammo. The .44 magnum and .45 Colt leverguns are great with the Lee RF boolits but they are 100yd cartridges. I would not consider a .357 for deer past about 30yds. Not when there are quite a few much better choices.

The one thing the 45-70 does have over many of the others, factory ammo is already an excellent boolit for deer, where in .45 Colt for example you have to handload, you have to hunt pretty hard for boolits at times, and you really can't buy very much decent off the shelf hunting ammo for it.

The other cartridge on that list that gets my attention would be the .375 Winchester. It's a skinnier 45-70 that would be plenty enough gun for anything on the North American continent, but the boolit weight is half that of the 45-70 so there would be a better trajectory, and less recoil.

And then there's the .444 so you have some great calibers to choose from. Once you consider only a 200yd shot, and how practical it is to find ammo for the caliber, the list gets real short real quick as to what would still work good.

country gent
04-29-2014, 10:25 AM
I would look at 38-55 and possibly 375 win also along with 45-70, and possibly 444 marlin alot is going to be what is available in the wanted lever actions to purchase here also. Maybe a henery in 44 magnum or 45-70. Derr take a good solid hit but not really super creatures that absorb bullets like a sponge either. I am thinking a 38-55 with around a 260 to 300 grn bullet over enough powder to get to around 1300-1400 fps would do nicely with decent recoil and accuracy. A 45-70 with a 350-450 grn bullet again at around 1300-1400 would work nicely with light recoil. Cast the bullets on the softer side, maybe 16-1 or 20-1 very little or no atimony they should expand nicely that way.

snaketail
04-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Which caliber you pick depends on a couple of things:
A. What distance will most of your shots come? 50 yards - Any of those listed will be fine. 200 yards - hardly any of those listed.
B. How dead do you want to deer to be? .357 = mostly dead, 45 Colt = really dead, 45-70 = overly dead, 50-110 = Oh Hell, there's nothing left.
C. What else to you plan to do with the rifle? Ohio's moose population is rather small, so the big cartridges (above .45 Colt) aren't going to get much alternative use.
My suggestion - .454 Casull. You can use full power .454 Casull rounds for self abuse and deer hunting, you can use the same rifle with .45 Colt ammo for deer, and you can handload lower energy rounds for smaller targets. (Also makes a great Home Defense rifle.)
I'm 67 and don't enjoy shooting the big stuff any longer. I like to shoot a rifle that will do the job without wacking me in the shoulder...too bad 32-20 isn't on the list.
Bottom line: .357 rifle - hard to find, but would be a reasonable choice. .454 Casull - easier to find, can also fire .45 Colt...could be used for deer and the occasional Ohio brown bear/moose/elk

Of course this is just my .02 cents worth.

Maximumbob54
04-29-2014, 12:26 PM
.357 = mostly dead???

ajjohns
04-29-2014, 01:03 PM
If they allow 41 Long Colt they must be ready for anything.

cattleskinner
04-29-2014, 01:09 PM
This would be my recommendation mostly because it is what I plan to use this year. I have one of the NEI molds when we did a group buy for the 180 gr rnfp boolit years back. With Lil'Gun powder running at the top end, at 200 yards, it will still have the power of a 357 mag. handgun up close. I would have no qualms using this out to 150 yards with this combo. The scope is a Weaver V3 1-3x20 in case you are wondering.

-Amos

woodsxdragon
04-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Dad got a rossi 92 in 44mag from McSports in wooster. I have a marlin 45-70 that i got from the Fin in ashland. Both with the right loads will work fine. The one issue I had was with mag limits. Just like shotgun you have to plug. The thing i've been wondering about is if you could use dummy rounds to fill up or what and i'm way too lazy to call and ask especially since I hunt on my property.

clownbear69
04-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Im from WI were you can use just about anything. Most .308 or .30-06 with the lever guns .30-30. I bring this up because ranges are about the same.

If it was me I would get a lever in .44 mag.

if is need of the essence you might (and I say the term loosely) be able to find an H&R in one of your desirable cals. Id look in the used market over new if you need to work on budget

starmac
04-29-2014, 03:24 PM
My opinion, and it may not be worth what it cost you is. out of everything you have listed. Personally I would go with the 45/70, you can load it down to 45 colt levels if you desire too. Next would be the 375, again you can load it to 38/55 levels if you want to.
Lastly would be the 444, I don't know a lot anout them, but I assume they could be loaded to 44 levels if a guy wanted to. If I even considered a pistol caliber for my one and only rifle to hunt with, it would be the 454. I have a 45 colt and really like it, but since I also have a 45/70, the 45 is strictly a toy (and a fine one too) but not used for hunting. I just don't see a reason to limit myself. If for some strange reason I had a 357, and nothing else I would use it, but if I was looking to buy one rifle to hunt with it would not be a consideration. I also at one time had a 44 mag rifle (one of less than a handfull of guns I have traded off) it was a ball of fun to play with, but I had better to hunt with, so it went unused.

country gent
04-29-2014, 03:56 PM
Woods. the standard plug for years has been a wood dowel cut to length and inserted into the tube behind the follower inside the spring. If your rifle holds 5 rounds a 1/4" dowel cut 3 cartridges long should be close. 1 in chamber 2 in magazine.

missionary5155
04-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Greetings
Unless your deer are wearing "balistic garmets" the 44 mag (very easy to find) or the 45 colt (easy to find) are two excellent calibers that will thump any deer out to 150 yards.
I shoot primerily the Lee 265 grain sized .454 at about 1450 fps. I have no doubts it will smash any big ILLinois corn cruncher from any angle but up the tailpipe. My largest so far weighed 285 pounds gutted and only took a lowly 45 pound recurve bow to settle the issue.
These two calibers are found in very nice small light lever rifle frames. Easy to carry all day long. If you want you can shoot heavier boolits in either caliber. I have molds in caliber 45 that are up to 335 grains and the 45 Colt carbines I have shoot them fine. Recoil is more but that is easy to get used to.
Those are my observations. Deer are not tough. I have 45-70's. I see no reason I need a 45-70 for deer. Now if you have bear about to also hunt then yes.. you would have all you need to tackle any critter to include rampaging Datsuns.
I also have 357 mag carbines. Personally I will go with something that starts with a 4 every time. Heavy (180 plus) boolits in 357 will do.. but so far every deer I have had to help track down was hit with a 357 mag. My observation is.. Bigger holes are always better.
Mike in Peru

Deriust
04-29-2014, 04:21 PM
Firstly I would like to say thank you to everyone who has replied for such great posts, filled with useful information. I need to do a little more digesting, but am leaning towards a 45-70. Only reason is, back when I was a younger man (before they added the wheels) I had the pleasure of shooting my grandfather's 45-70 extensively, and there is a lot of nostalgia in that lever gun for me, as well as remembering how it performs. However, I never took any game with it, and never took any 200 yard shots, although I did shoot at 100 yards quite often.

Now most deer I have taken in my life have been inside 50 yards. I used to hunt with a bow, but that is impossible now with my arraignment. I have taken quite a few deer with different shotgun gauges also, as well as black powder, but again, usually 50 yards or less there too, although there have been some 100 yards shots with the old hawken. I have to assume that even with the 45-70 most of my shots will be well within 100 yards, although I want the ability to reach out to 200 if I see that monster 20ish pointer again and the shot is right.

The only reason I have not considered the 444 is that the ammo is much less plentiful around here, and I have heard some disturbing things about marlins quality ever since they were taken over by remington. (don't know the truth first hand, but I have read and heard a lot of bad stuff)

So all this leaves me with a few more and new questions. If I was set on a 45-70, what modern maker is considered to make a great rifle without breaking the bank? Also, because of my setup, I need a shorter, and lighter barrel, (so the octagons may be out?) so will I get the range and accuracy I am wanting out of a sub 20" barreled rifle? Also, is there a configuration that will allow me to use optics for 100+ yards, and still use the iron sights for under 100?

I know I am asking a lot, but as a disabled vet on a very small fixed income, this is probably my one and last hunting rifle, so to justify the expense it kinda has to check all the boxes if you know what I mean. With the ignorance of most politicians, it's not likely that they will come to their senses and add other common rifles to the list, so this one will have to do me. (I can't believe that they would allow a caliber that would perforate a bull elephant (50-110) but a 30-30 lever action is out of the question!? I guess something is better than nothing though) And once again thank you all very much.

badgeredd
04-29-2014, 05:17 PM
I just popped over to GunBroker to get a reasonable expectation of price for a lever 45-70. What I found were several in the $525 to $700 range plus shipping and plus FFL fees. You may find one locally for less.

Edd

C. Latch
04-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Got any friends in Mississippi?

We just more-or-less ended the majority of our 'primitive' season here, and there are lots of single-shots in .35 caliber and larger cartridges up for sale, cheap, right now. I saw an H&R SB2 45-70 sell for $175 last week.

Firebricker
04-29-2014, 06:08 PM
I am going with the .444 but I already have the rifle,dies and a couple moulds. I might of missed it in your post but did not see if you were going to reload for your rifle. If you are not planning on reloading I would suggest 45/70, 454Casull or .44 Mag not necessarily in that order but that is three choices with good factory loads for your purpose. Since you have fond memories with a 45/70 I suspect you will lean that direction. I think something like the Marlin guide gun would very well. Now

on a side note if you want to reload but not cast there are vendors here that sell quality cast and myself and others I am sure can hook you up with samples for any calibre chosen. I am not sure what area you are in but I recently saw a new Marlin 45/70 in Fredrictown it is a "Remlin" but there was no obvious problems with it. If you did happen to run across a deal on a .444 and get it I'll be happy to share my load research with you. And welcome to the CB forum you came to the best place for info I have learned tons from the members here. FB

snaketail
04-29-2014, 06:16 PM
Maximumbob54...guess you ever saw "Princes Bride"...it happens when you have a daughter. "Mostly dead" is a line from the movie, "He's not complete dead, mostly dead, but not completely dead." I think that was the line.

I'm sorry, I just can't get behind the 45-70 thing. If you want one - great, but look at the other options too. (Yes, I've owned a 45-70.)

M

woodsxdragon
04-29-2014, 06:55 PM
Yea I was hoping to be able to use dummy rounds just so I didn't have to disassemble the rifle. Some what of a pain.

BloodGroove4570
04-29-2014, 07:20 PM
The 45-70 is no doubt a Very capable cartridge/caliber, it can be loaded mild to Wild and anywhere in between... It's capable of taking Anything that walks skips flys or squiggles, including the BIG Bitin n Clawing Critters! With factory Rem 405's it's a kitten. If you want Wild and don't handload getcha some Garrett 420gr +P HammerHeads, they will take the bite outta anything except the recoil... :-)

Good Luck
BloodGroove4570

Lonegun1894
04-29-2014, 07:23 PM
I have never fired from a wheel chair, but have from other unstable positions and seats, so this may or may not be of value, but my first choices would be the .45-70, .44 Mag, or .357 Mag if using factory loads, or add .45 Colt since you said you're going to start loading your own. I'm like you in that I prefer to get close, and often will pass up shots I can make just because I like getting in closer. Obviously the larger calibers will fire a heavier bullet so will recoil more, but allow more power also for imperfect shot angles. Having said that, while I don't recommend this kind of long range shooting, I dropped a hog with one shot from a .357Mag a couple weeks ago when a friend wounded it and my shot was at a bit over 200yds. Not a shot I would have taken if the hog had not been wounded, but placement was good and the hog dropped very quickly when both lungs got perforated. Now I also hunt hogs with a .22LR handgun and sneak in close, so consider the source here, but I would seriously consider a .357 cause it recoils very little, uses little powder, little lead, and matches .30-30 performance out to about 125-175yds (depending on your choice of bullet and the load you use). I limit mine to 150yds while hunting, so not quite as long ranged (200yds) as you want it, and pass up imperfect shots, but it is easy and fairly cheap to shoot all day long, so won't beat you up in practice and allows you to hit small targets at longer ranges than people would believe til they try it themselves. I'm talking hunting to 150or so yds, and target practice out to 400yds, and slowly stretching it to 500yds with cast bullets. Here is the way I see practice. The more you take the "impossible" shots, the more frequently you will "get lucky" and succeed, and figure out your holds for various ranges so you can soon make the impossible hits on demand. And the long range practice amplifies your mistakes, so perfects your form, and makes the 150-200yd shots easy in comparison to what they would be if you limited your practice to just the ranges you plan to hunt.

johnme
04-29-2014, 07:55 PM
I have had -4 back surgeries and still deer hunt. private land and a good deer stand. Left the marlin 45-70 GG and used my Henry 357 with Skinner sights.
Dropped a nice doe last fall at 80 yards. 158 gr. hard cast passed right threw like butter. Deer fell 20' after the shot. Good shot placement and under 100 yards.
You will have steaks on the grill. :)
No back pain / shoulder and coyotes never complained on the 125 gr hp. :)

MtGun44
04-29-2014, 09:59 PM
.44 Mag or .45-70 would wither be just fine.

Bill

6pt-sika
04-30-2014, 01:20 AM
The last time I had more then just 444's my three rifle battery was a Marlin 375 in 375 WIN as the light rifle , 444 as my medium and the 45-70 as my heavy . Later the 375 was replaced with a Marlin 336T in 44 MAG . Since that time I've sold off the 44 MAG and the 45-70 . I can pretty much do anything I want with a 444 loading it up or down , although I rarely load it down .

The 444 shooting cast bullets in the 200-240 range is rather good at normal sized whitetails inside 150 yards .

bikerbeans
04-30-2014, 03:02 AM
Deriust,

I too am a disabled hunter but I am not confined to a chair, my lungs and heart are shot. I still hunt deer in Ohio with the help of friends, family and sometimes the N*** - Wheelin' Sportsmen (great group btw). Anyway, I would suggest going with the 45-70 just because of the availability of ammo and components. The 444M and 375Win are both good choices (I have all 3 of these in Marlin LGs) but ammo is tough to find and components are really scare. I have owned several of the H&R 45-70 single shots and they are good functional guns and can be bought for about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of a 45-70 lever action. I don't have experience with the other 45-70 single shots (CVA, T/C, winchester). The newer remington made Marlin LGs that a lot of folks want to avoid are made after 2007 and have serial numbers that start in 90, 91, 92 and MR. Good luck finding a rifle that works for you.

BB

StrawHat
04-30-2014, 06:07 AM
Living and hunting in Ohio for several decades, I was happy to hear the news allowing certain rifle cartridges to be used for deer hunting. I may have to carry my 50-70 next season. However, I have used a handgun for a couple of decades for Ohio white tailed deer and found in fine. I first started with a 44 Magnum but eventually settled on the 45 long Colt witha 260 grain boolit and a full load of black powder. If I do my part, the ammunition will do fine.

I understand the allure of the -70 cartridges, but in reality, a handgun cartridge from a handgun does fine. I would imagine a 45 long Colt froma rifle or carbine would be good also. Or the 44. I am not sure how I would be able to handle a 45-70 from a wheelchair, so I would recommend something with less recoil.

If you are in NE Ohio, I would be happy to lend you a rifle to see how it would work for you. Let me know.

Deriust
04-30-2014, 07:17 AM
Thanks again to everyone. Sorry if I haven't replied to each person individually, I am a poor typist, but I assure you I have read every single post. I am not dead set on a 45-70 but am definitely leaning in that direction, due to my past experience, and sentimental reasons, although I would love to fire one from the chair and be able to maneuver with one through the woods in the chair to see how they work out. I wish there were more organizations that helped disabled hunters and sportsmen with things like this in my area. I was told by someone a sturdy shooting stick type bipod, along with a long eye relief pistol or shotgun scope mounted far towards the forward end of the front grip would be very helpful with this setup, and easier for me to use and acquire targets, without having to bear the full weight of the rifle. Anyone have any experience shooting from a similar platform with this caliber? How is the recoil? How fast to reacquire target?

I was really impressed by the http://www.wildwestgunsak.com/the-alaskan-copilot-rifle.php , although it is way more expensive than I can probably ever afford. I have seen some in stainless that are nearly too fine to shoot. Ah well, that's a dream, back down to the sad reality. lol

starmac
04-30-2014, 11:30 AM
In reality the co-pilot would have no gain over a guide gun in the field, except maybe lightening your wallet. lol
The 45/70 at trap door levels has real light recoil. As far as holding one up, only you know how you will be able to handle that. I would think getting around in a wheel chair with a rifle will be much easier than getting a deer out of the field with one, so I am presuming you will have a hunting partner.

country gent
04-30-2014, 12:29 PM
A set of cross sticks or a mono pod will be a great aid in supporting the rifle and give a big increase in accuracy able to be obtained from the wheel chair. The draw back is most are slow to get hieght adjustments made. Another issue is as rifle wieght goes down felt recoil goes up. Not sure where in Ohio you are located bu would also offer the chance to test a couple rifles if your in Northwest Ohio. I am also disabled I dont hunt but shoot bpcr shilloettes. Perhaps a rest made to mount right on the wheelchair? Chair could be adjusted for left right and a simple adjustable set up for hieght. It could be made removeable also.

MaLar
04-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Another vote for the 38-55/375 win. Modern guns can be loaded to give you a decent trajectory to 200 yrds.
Plus less recoil than the 45-70 and bigger.

Lonegun1894
04-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Since you have a soft spot for the .45-70, that may be your best choice. And especially if you load your own, you can load one somewhat light, say 1100-1200fps, and have a rifle that will take any deer out there with very little recoil. The downside will be the trajectory beyond 100-125yds or so will make your 200yd range a bit questionable.

starmac
04-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Personally I think keeping recoil down will make 200 yard shots tough in any of the caliber choices given. I think it will require quite a bit of practice with any of them. 200 yards is my personal limit with any rifle, most of the choices I hold the limit down to 150 and under, but that is just my preference.

Deriust
05-02-2014, 06:10 AM
A set of cross sticks or a mono pod will be a great aid in supporting the rifle and give a big increase in accuracy able to be obtained from the wheel chair. The draw back is most are slow to get hieght adjustments made. Another issue is as rifle wieght goes down felt recoil goes up. Not sure where in Ohio you are located bu would also offer the chance to test a couple rifles if your in Northwest Ohio. I am also disabled I dont hunt but shoot bpcr shilloettes. Perhaps a rest made to mount right on the wheelchair? Chair could be adjusted for left right and a simple adjustable set up for hieght. It could be made removeable also.

Thanks I really appreciate the offer. I am however in the furthest possible corner of sw ohio hanging on for dear life lol. I looked at the mono pod stick things, a good idea I might have to try one out. Just for a little more information, it is not a regular hospital type wheelchair, but a big honking electric model with substantial tires and frame that probably weighs 300 lbs itself. (it's not going to flip over when I shoot anything for sure) it's modified to hit around 12mph on the street, but that really eats up the batteries. Normal use gets me 4-5mph (maybe 8) with about a 15-20 mile range per full charge on both batteries (independent for each tire) depending on terrain and elevation. I don't know if it would take any kind of removable mount, but its something to look in to. Thanks.

woodsxdragon
05-02-2014, 08:08 PM
I don't know if they do down there but the izaak Walton league up here put paved trails for accesbility in.

jonp
05-03-2014, 12:17 AM
This is very interesting. With your 200yrd parameter I would say 45-70. If closer I would go with a 454 Casull only because you can use 45Colt in it.

FergusonTO35
05-03-2014, 09:55 PM
The .45-70 is one of the easiest cartridges to load. Even the soft cowboy type boolits are very effective and you can use darn near any powder in it. A 300 grain slug at 1400 fps is easy to shoot and more effective than most .44 Magnum loads. As of last week my local shop had a New Haven made 1895 on the shelf still with the tags hanging for $600.00 as I remember. They are happy to ship, let me know if you're interested.

country gent
05-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Deriust, HAndle a few if possible at LGS or gun shows. I believe midways have several diffrent mono pods as does cabellas. You mau have to order it mail order or online. For test purposes a long solid dowel will give an idea of if it will help. It may need to be around 6 feet tall or long.A 2x2 5-6 feet long with a series of 1/2" holes drilled down one side every 3/4" to 1" with a light sanding and sharp edges broke would give a idea of how it works for you and of the hieght you will need. Im a firm believer in trying testing before hitting the hunting fields with new equipment. A 4" steel spike or maybe a little longer on the bottom will aide support and stability also. I have been researching the all terrain chairs also for awhile as Im only a few years from one with the effects of Multiple Schlrocsis.

reddnekked
05-07-2014, 09:26 AM
I read somewhere that more deer are killed by automobiles than hunters. May I suggest a 1976 Chevy half-ton pickup. Use an old one and you won't care about the dent.

I am,
reddnekked

Enyaw
05-07-2014, 01:13 PM
One thing to consider with guns shooting cartridges that have rainbow trajectories is the distance limit to be ethical. Most hunters in the know,and good experienced ones at that, will often admit to a self imposed limit of 150 yards due to the difficulty in judging distance closely. Off by a few yards and a crippled animal can be made. You know,like with a 45/70 or the like. Being able to have a 200 yard where you can aim right at what you want to hit with no hold over and be a lil high aiming right at the bread basket at a distance of ,say, 75 yards may take a 45/70 that was sorta HOT.

I'd recommend a self imposed limit of 150 or less yards with any of the allowed calibers. Personnally a limit of 100 yards would be better. I'd rather shoot a FOR SURE quick clean kill shot than chance a wounded wasted painful death shot.

Of course practice and the use of a range finder would be invaluable as would the use of a scoped rifle to go longer range. Being on a platform in a chair with a clear view would give some time forstationary shots and time fer usin a range finder and all. That would extend the range to 200 and possibly further with an Hombre that takes the time(and pleasure) to practice and use the equipment needed.

Besides rainbow trajectory the often not mentioned fact of FT/LBS of energy and bullet construction should be considered with any of the calibers listed.

I've read on many occaision and believe that a minimum ft/lbs from the bullet of 500ft/lbs at any distance is needed fer deer. More is better.

Leave any round nose bullets fer the target range. Pick a caliber that likes a nice big flat nose metplat on the bullets. Cast bullets that is. Jacketed would be nice jacketed soft points.

The calibers listed have some bad choices unless the hunter knows his stuff. One is the 45 S&W (Scholfield). It is not always able to be loaded in very strong guns unless they are 45 Colt chambered and.....the 45 Colt would be better.

The 357's and the 44 mags and the 45 Colts loaded hot can take deer out a bit further than most might expect but.....they gotta be sorta HOT loaded with the right bullet.
Some Hombre may not like the sound of ahot 357 mag or 44 mag orhot 45 Colt when not wearing ear protection. The noise of the shot should be considerd with a caliber pick.

I thunk ifin it were me in a chair I'd use a single shot lever gun like a Sharps or a Winchester type High Wall fer the accuracy that is usually better than with a repeater unless the recoil was too much.

I like the advise someone gave bout trying some rifles out by borrowing before buying.
Of course.....any rifle can be made to be comfortable if an Hombre is a reloader and a bullet caster.

Ifin it were me at a platform I'd practice from it with whatever rifle I picked and.....probably use lil survey flags(orange/pink) to mark some range set out like radius from the platform.

I thunk the recoil if heavy could be handled by an Hombre in a chair since he would know not to have his shoulder back against something too solid like hunters know not to shoot with their shoulder back against a tree or post or whatever is too solid and not moveable.

I'd leave a 38 Special at home unless it could shoot +P loads and keep the range conservative. I wouldn't pick 45 S&W unless it was to be used like a bow hunter would hunt. CLOSE.

I'd remember the 500 ft/lbs minimum fer energy also and the bullet type to be used.

Sure less ft/lbs could be used on deer but....why take the chance on a wounded animal gettin into the brush and being wasted to all but the coyote and the buzzards.

I know the brush and the deer in Ohio very well. I live in Coshocton County Ohio.

Baiting is allowed in Ohio now from what I'm told. Using apples(over ripe cider too)and molasses and "corn" cracked would make fer an easy rifle pick.Bring them in close. Put a stuffed dummie in a chair where the hunter would be and rippen it with some doe-in-heat scent from time totime so the deer wouldn't be scared of it when the hunter was there.

Just some suggestions that might make fer an easier rifle caliber pick.

I have a 357 mag. carbine,45 Colt rifle, and an 1886 Winchester 45/70 type(Miroko) and I would use any of them within the limits of them.

I'd want my platform fer my chair right in the thick stuff where the deer end up fairly quick opening day. Thick stuff on one side and open grown up field on the other.

I'm gettin up there in years and it's harder and harder to still hunt the brush now-a-days sos......I'd be using a lever gun that was good fer shorter range anyhow since I would be standing still a lot. A heavy gun might cramp my style too much now-a-days. A carbine bout the weight of a nice Model 94 Winchester would be just about right. A Model 92 in 357 mag, 44 mag. 45 Colt would do the job out to a hundrd with the right loads and bullet.

Groo
05-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Groo here
Fellow Buckeye .
My dad is 80 and we got him to hunt by using a 4x4 and a scoped pistol. [our farm]
If you have your HC tag for the car I think its ok for you to.
Given the conditions I would get a Contender.
In a car use as pistol [you can move it around.
In the open use with 16+in barrel and stock.
I have one dad wants to use that is 16 1/2in Thumbhole in 357 max.
It can be loaded up to 35rem spec and in a single shot ,use pointed bullets for longer ranges.

Groo
05-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Groo here
Fellow Buckeye .
My dad is 80 and we got him to hunt by using a 4x4 and a scoped pistol. [our farm]
If you have your HC tag for the car I think its ok for you to.
Given the conditions I would get a Contender.
In a car use as pistol [you can move it around.
In the open use with 16+in barrel and stock.
I have one dad wants to use that is 16 1/2in Thumbhole in 357 max.
It can be loaded up to 35rem spec and in a single shot ,use pointed bullets for longer ranges.
PS Last year Dad got a nice doe with a S&W TRR8 5in 357 and Leverevolution ammo about 35yds one shot.

DeanWinchester
05-07-2014, 04:52 PM
I'm confused by the list myself. A smart-butt with a chip on his shoulder and a massive inferiority complex COULD chamber a Ruger #1 in 50-110 and stoke it up running, say a 750g Hornady A-max but I'd be in violation using my .308.

country gent
05-07-2014, 06:40 PM
I still believe who is using the rifle is more important than whats being used. Ive helped bitcher and see some pretty big animals (stears and pigs) put down with a little 22 long rifle. Accurate shot placement is critical disrupt the vitals and it over. ANy on the list are capable of doing that with good shot placement. Im not advocating using a 22 but we seem toforget the accuracy needed to cleanly dispatch an animal. An basic understanding of the animals make up and where organs are in relation to diffrent angles of the shot. As the ranges get farther seeing these angles and line of bullets path gets harder to do. As hunters our job is to cleanly and humanely dispath the game we are hunting. That means the basic knowledge of the animal, using enough gun, and practicing to be profient enough to place the shot. I see alot of hunters that practice from a bench or supported position in the offseason then take the shots offhand having never practiced from standing offhand. A good rifle in an appropriate caliber with a hunter that practices honestly will put alot of venison on the table over the years. I understand the issues handicapped hunters face as I am handicapped disabled now. Stand hunting and picking the shots goes along ways to succsess.

madsenshooter
05-07-2014, 07:54 PM
A 405g 45 70 cast from a Ruger #1 or 1885 Winchester will take anything you might want to shoot.

If you intend to use a single shot, might just as well use a 50 caliber muzzleloader with 40 caliber sabots. You can get up to 35 Remington velocity with those. 44 and 357 magnum are going to be the rounds you'll find most available, with the 44 being the most effective of the two.

.45Cole
05-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Deriust-
You just achieved both starting a riot and a controversial thread. This thread will go on for days, and will inevitably pit .44s vs .45s and maybe a little rossi vs marlin too. Sounds like your best bet is a .45-70 because of the ease of obtaining rounds, and the availability of guns. I like how they list a .45acp, unless it's allowed for pistol too.

Most importantly, welcome to the site! Sit back an watch the ensuing discussion. :popcorn:

High Desert Hunter
05-08-2014, 08:44 PM
I would pick the 45/70, I have 2, a Ruger #1 and 2002 Vintage SS Marlin Guide Gun. I have put a lot of rounds through the Guide Gun, even at factory levels, making a 200 yard shot is easy. A 300 to 350 grain bullet is more than enough medicine for any deer. I mostly load and shoot a 412 grain bullet from my 460640 mold I got during a group buy here, most push it to around 1500 FPS and while it does recoil in the light Guide Gun, it is accurate and has enough ooompf to shoot end to end through a deer. The nice thing about the 45/70 is being able to eat right up to the bullet hole, not a lot of wasted meat like you can get from some of the speedier rounds.

MostlyLeverGuns
05-09-2014, 02:09 PM
I think for your situation, the .444 might work better than the .45-70. I have shot a .45-70 or .358 for elk and moose with a .444 as a spare rifle. The .444 has a large selection of light bullets available, bullet molds and from vendors, cast and jacketed. I would probably use a popgun load, 160 or 180 grain for practice then go to a 240- 250 for deer in the.444. It is the .444's bullet selection with the ability to practice with little recoil and then get very close to 45-70 power levels. I think only the .444 and .45-70 can consistently reach 200 yards with dead right there results. I can here the screams, but ease of hitting, that is a flat trajectory is part of that, that is where most true pistol calibers fall short. More screams (?) the Hornady pointed Flex Tip in the .444 might work very well on deer sized critters.

SCOTT ARTHUR
05-09-2014, 02:57 PM
What MLG said!