PDA

View Full Version : Linotype

Satokad
04-29-2014, 12:41 AM
Hey Folks,

While I am learning a lot fairly quickly, there are still a bunch of things I am not sure about. This is one of them. I found a bunch of this (see picture below) at the recycler today. Is this the often sought Linotype I am reading about?
If so, is it used to harden softer lead?
Also, there was a fair amount there (I bought about 30 pounds of it). Should I go back and get more of it? I currently have COWW, SOWW, and about 75 pounds of pure lead.
Thanks.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee159/InHisService2007/photo1_zpsf3ba9035.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/InHisService2007/media/photo1_zpsf3ba9035.jpg.html)

fastfire
04-29-2014, 12:47 AM
Yes, linotype, what did you have to pay for it? if YOU GOT IT FOR SCRAP LEAD PRICES BUY IT ALL!

garandsrus
04-29-2014, 12:48 AM
You have monotype which is very similar. It is even harder than Linotype. How much was it? The going rate seems to be between $1 and $2 per pound.

Satokad
04-29-2014, 12:56 AM
I paid $0.65/lb. If it had been there last week, it would have been $0.50/lb. Think I'll take a little time off work tomorrow and mosey on back over there.

dh2
04-29-2014, 12:57 AM
years a go when it was a lot easier to get I started casting with 100% Linotype for punching paper it was great I would cut it back if expansion was a concern

psychicrhino
04-29-2014, 12:57 AM
Good deal

fredj338
04-29-2014, 01:05 AM
I paid $0.65/lb. If it had been there last week, it would have been $0.50/lb. Think I'll take a little time off work tomorrow and mosey on back over there.

At that price, I would buy all they had, it's getting harder to find every year. Good score.

Beesdad
04-29-2014, 10:59 AM

Great deal... Go back ASAP and get it all!

bangerjim
04-29-2014, 11:52 AM
Is it foundry type. The big piece is shorter and is only a spacer.

Here is how to tell........for the umpteenth time.......

linotype........"type CAST in a line" Entire words and sentences on one long thin block made by a linotype machine.

Foundry type.....INDIVIDUAL letters, numbers, & symbols with notch/s on the side

MonoType.....same as foundry but no notches.

Mono and foundry are antique type faces used for hand-set letterpresses. Lino is cast by a machine for newspapers in the bygone days B4 computer-set type.

A couple bucks or so a pound is a good going price. If I were you, I would forget trying to "turn a quick buck" and keep it all. You may never find this again!!!!!!!

bangerjim

Satokad
04-29-2014, 08:58 PM
I picked up another 50# today. It's in this huge cardboard bin I have to climb into to get to it. Next time, I will bring a trowel or something, as what's left isn't much of a pile. I haven't looked at all of it, but the ones I took a picture of do have notches along the top edge near the back. I had no plans to sell it, as I'm still in the process of learning what to do with it. :-)
I'm headed out of town, but I may go back on Friday and grab the rest. It was mixed in with a bunch of lead lined foil (dentist office stuff maybe), and a few SOWW were in there as well.
One thing I noticed is there were some very thin copper-colored bars (just a little thicker than ribbon). It seemed like it was part of the type. Any thoughts on what it is? I'm assuming if they get in the pot, they will float up and be removable? No picture available at the moment. I'll try and get one later.
Thanks.

bangerjim
04-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Those are copper shims used by the typesetter to make up small gaps when setting the lines of type.

There could also be long strips of lead that are shorter in depth than the letters. Those are the spacers or "leading" between the lines. They come in various font thicknesses and lengths. Many times they are much softer than the type as they did not need to pound the printed page thousands of times, only establish the spacing between the lines. If you look in MS Word, it is still called "leading".

You will find a use for it! Now get a bunch of pure lead to mix it with.

banger

wistlepig1
04-29-2014, 09:15 PM
I was down in the South end of New Mexico (white sands) and found some for $2.00 a pound and was glade to find it. You did much better than I did!:(

birddog
04-29-2014, 09:50 PM
Still have several hundred pounds of lino and mono lead in the shed, picked it up 30yrs ago for free.
Charlie

largom
04-29-2014, 10:19 PM
birddog, You did better than I did when I got couple hundred pounds 30 yrs. ago. I had to pay 10 cents/lb.

Larry

pergoman
04-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Satokad, you seem to have just about all of the components for a beautiful alloy. Get some tin to sweeten it and cast away. My favorite pistol bullet recipe is #50 COWW, #50 water pipe, #10 lino, and #2 pewter(or tin). I water drop. According to one online allow calculator I am making coww + 2% tin. It is a good way to use what you already have in inventory.

Satokad
04-29-2014, 11:43 PM
This is what I was talking about but it seems you already knew what it was, bangerjim. I have about 70# of pure lead and someone promised me about 100# of diver weights, so I think I'll be good for a bit (also have 100# or so of COWW). Just got my .452 molds yesterday so as soon as I get to the weekend, I'll give it a go.

bangerjim
04-30-2014, 12:04 AM
This is what I was talking about but it seems you already knew what it was, bangerjim. I have about 70# of pure lead and someone promised me about 100# of diver weights, so I think I'll be good for a bit (also have 100# or so of COWW). Just got my .452 molds yesterday so as soon as I get to the weekend, I'll give it a go.

Yes, very familiar with hand set type! I have a complete 1870's printing press and over 45 big drawers of complete type faces....from 6 point text to 220 point head lines! Over 600# of it and printer's ornaments and fancy items. I will never sell or (heaven forbid) melt it down to dope lead for just boolits! I have set many lines for Christmas cards, business cards, and letter head back in the 70's before computers and laser printers became as common as dirt.

It is fun to do it the old way!

Now I mainly use it in my 3 hot foil stamping machines to do gold, silver, blue, copper, and just about any of over 60 colors of hot foil embossing.

banger

SteveS
04-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Yes, very familiar with hand set type! I have a complete 1870's printing press and over 45 big drawers of complete type faces....from 6 point text to 220 point head lines! Over 600# of it and printer's ornaments and fancy items. I will never sell or (heaven forbid) melt it down to dope lead for just boolits! I have set many lines for Christmas cards, business cards, and letter head back in the 70's before computers and laser printers became as common as dirt.

It is fun to do it the old way!

Very nice Jim. Very, very, nice.

bruce381
05-02-2014, 01:16 AM
nice id like to see some examples of that

rodsvet
05-02-2014, 10:55 AM
I bought 850 lbs. about 5 years ago in 22 lb. pigs for $1 a lb.. I doubt that I will ever find any more in California. I used to buy it for as low as 26 cents a lb. until about 10 years ago. Man, I sure miss the good old days! Your score is a rare one. Rod