PDA

View Full Version : I need advise!

Fly
04-28-2014, 06:38 PM
Lot,s of us cast our own bullets.I have done it since the 70,s.But with that said I have done wrong
for years.The **** you have skimed off the lead is very toxic.I never knew what to do with it & just
threw it away any were.I WAS WRONG!

How do you guys disspose of it?
Fly

62chevy
04-28-2014, 10:59 PM
What makes it toxic?

Buzzard II
04-28-2014, 11:14 PM
Take it to a scrap metal yard and sell it to them.

largom
04-28-2014, 11:18 PM
I too would like to know what makes it toxic. I make an effort not to breath any fumes but once the crud has cooled down I don't think it is toxic.

Larry

Buck Neck It
04-28-2014, 11:46 PM
So how wrong we're you? Where did you dump your dross? Not in your potatoe bed I hope!

Battery recycle is where it should go.

bangerjim
04-29-2014, 12:00 AM
If you are talking about a smelting pot, then there is all kinds of stuff in there. Oxides of everything oxidizable. After fluxing 3x with sawdust and candlewax, I throw it in the garbage can. If there seems to be a lot of "heavy" stuff there, I save it, and after collecting a few pounds of it, I remelt it separately and usually get about a oound of lead out of there. Then into the can!

If the skim is from your casting pot......that is proably almost pure tin. Reduce it back in with beeswax. The wax MAGICALLY makes all the floaters go away, leaving only a shinly silver surface with a little black residue on it.

banger

DLCTEX
04-30-2014, 11:15 PM
I seal it in gallon paint cans and send it to the dump. The dump is clay lined and seals very well against anything going into the ground.