PDA

View Full Version : Which Chrono?

KrakenFan69
04-28-2014, 03:08 PM
I'm new to reloading and casting. I am also a new IPSC shooter. For now I plan to run factory ammo at matches but eventually plan to reload for competition. As such I need to get a chronograph to ensure my loads are making power factor to shoot. I've never used a chrono outside of paintball competitions and have no idea what to get. Can anyone make any suggestions? I'm not afraid to spend a bit more to get the quality that will last but don't need any aerospace tech either. Just a solid, reliable chrono that will be accurate.

Thanks,

Kraken Fan #69

pworley1
04-28-2014, 03:29 PM
I have been using a Chrony F1 for more years than I can remember. It is not fancy but, it tells me all I need to know.

dudel
04-28-2014, 04:19 PM
I have a CED M2. I don't like shooting at my electronics. It's been reliable, stable and reapeatable. Not the cheapest; not the most expensive. Some nice features beyond the basics. I really like the PF calculator that's built in, along with the PC interface. Replacement screens are inexpensive, and there's a whole range of accessories. I'd get one again.

HollandNut
04-28-2014, 07:45 PM
nother F1 here , and it can be upgraded thru several levels to "real fancy schmancy" at not unreasonable cost

David2011
04-28-2014, 10:27 PM
I have the Competition Electronics ProChrono. It records up to 9 strings of shots and as been going a good job for me for many years. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph

David

Pistol Pete
04-29-2014, 01:36 AM
I use a Master Chrony Beta.........tells you about everything you need...can find on sale sometimes at Midway...lots of after market add ons if you want, from Chrony...very reliable and accurate
HTH....Pistol Pete

PbHurler
04-29-2014, 06:41 AM
Here's a vote to look at the Oehler 35P

Petrol & Powder
04-29-2014, 07:01 AM
Whichever Chronograph you get, be sure to only get one.

A man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never quite sure. :bigsmyl2:

Captain Capsize
04-29-2014, 09:36 AM
Whichever Chronograph you get, be sure to only get one.

A man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never quite sure. :bigsmyl2:

Good advice, my buddy and I set up our Chrony's one behind the other. Sometimes they agreed other times they differed by 50+ fps. So we don't know which to believe or even if we should believe either one. One manufacturer (I think Ohler) uses 3 sensors I think it would be the one I would choose the next time I buy a chrono.

HollandNut
04-29-2014, 09:38 AM
yep Oehler use three screens in the 35 I believe , not sure about the other models

there was one they had (maybe still do) I always lusted after , allowed you to hook a sensor to the receiver and measure pressure

hermans
04-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Here you get what you pay for as well, the Oehler 35 is the ultimate, the CED M2 is also a very good instrument.
Very important here is to put the sensors in a box with artificial lighting as to ensure constant light above the sensors at all times.

largom
04-29-2014, 10:30 AM
I have a PACT that has been in use for 12 years with never a problem. The brain box is separate from the eyes and screens and gives ES, SD, Velocity and more.

Larry

Fyodor
04-29-2014, 10:38 AM
I got the red master chrony, and built it in a box with LED lighting. That makes me independent from weather and sunlight, and shields off the flickering of electric lights. It's a good tool, after you got that one button interface for the first time.

BRobertson
04-29-2014, 10:52 AM
I have a Magnetospeed, and have been happy with it. It is not ideal for handgun use, but you can work around the minor issues
that come up with handguns.

I think the new Lab Radar might be the answer , if it actually works as claimed.

Bob

HollandNut
04-29-2014, 11:37 AM
I got the red master chrony, and built it in a box with LED lighting. That makes me independent from weather and sunlight, and shields off the flickering of electric lights. It's a good tool, after you got that one button interface for the first time.

pics my man pics

dragon813gt
04-29-2014, 11:58 AM
I think the new Lab Radar might be the answer , if it actually works as claimed.
Well I signed up for info on that device. My only concern is the one year warranty. I'm assuming it's going to be $500+ based on what it is. A five year warranty would put my mind at ease.

jmort
04-29-2014, 11:59 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph?cm_vc=ProductFinding

-Mischief
04-29-2014, 12:06 PM
What guns are you shooting? Are you shooting inside or out? Are you shooting in your backyard or at the range?

Fyodor
04-29-2014, 12:21 PM
pics my man pics

You're welcome.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/30/9ajyjymu.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/30/avudyjah.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/30/ne2utyza.jpg

The red LED lights are powered by four AA cells and are fixed to the ceiling of the box.

hermans
04-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Fyodor, very neat setup, at least you have constant lighting here which should give you very good repeatability on your measurements;-)

Larry Gibson
04-29-2014, 02:10 PM
+1 on the Oehler M35P. It is the top of the line for small portable and easy to use chronographs. It is the one the others are judged by. The 35P now comes in a complete package including carrying case. Nothing else to buy or scrounge. The "P" means it also has a printer which is very handy to have a printed record w/o having to write data down at the range. I've had mine for 25+ years and would trade/sell it for love nor money........

Larry Gibson

Bullshop
04-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Another plug for the Ohler 35P. I have had mine for nearly 30 years now and never a problem.

KrakenFan69
04-30-2014, 12:43 AM
Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I will be shooting mostly at an outdoor range but a bit of indoors. I shoot 9mm, .40 S&W, .223 Rem and am eyeing up a Rem 700 in .308. Would like to test my .17 HMR as well. As with many hobbies probably more later as well. lol
So far I'm leaning towards the CED. I like the idea it can connect to the computer and it also computes for IPSC internally. Not a major thing to have to do but when the unit isn't much more than a Chrony, why not? The Ohler 35P will be harder to source in Canada most likely and may be overkill for my limited use. I have a guy I order from who carries CED and can get it to me quickly too. (I'm rather impatient)

Kraken Fan #69

dudel
04-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I will be shooting mostly at an outdoor range but a bit of indoors. I shoot 9mm, .40 S&W, .223 Rem and am eyeing up a Rem 700 in .308. Would like to test my .17 HMR as well. As with many hobbies probably more later as well. lol
So far I'm leaning towards the CED. I like the idea it can connect to the computer and it also computes for IPSC internally. Not a major thing to have to do but when the unit isn't much more than a Chrony, why not? The Ohler 35P will be harder to source in Canada most likely and may be overkill for my limited use. I have a guy I order from who carries CED and can get it to me quickly too. (I'm rather impatient)

Kraken Fan #69

Power factor was something I thought I'd never use; but turns out it's pretty handy. The calculator function comes in handy as well. I find I really like the almost unlimited strings and the ability to download the data to my pc. Turns out there is a secret compartment in the battery box that lets you keep a spare battery. Handy when you need one (or your buddy needs one).

km101
05-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Another vote for the CED M-2. It's a good machine. I have checked one against an Oehler P35 and the readings were almost identical.
And it's much cheaper!

AZAKMS
05-07-2014, 01:47 AM
Another vote for the CED M2. I had ordered in a Competition Electronics Pro Chronograph and sent it back for refund along with the $50 joke of a dongle wire to hook it up to a laptop where the CED M2 comes with a USB cable to hook it up to your computer and software at no extra cost. The Competition Electronic unit was cheaply built and overly bulky. Seeing it next to a CED M2 is a rather humorous comparison to say the least and if you add up the cost of the Competition Electronics Pro Chronograph along with the $50 dongle to connect it to your computer it's almost the same price as the CED M2.

KrakenFan69
06-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Well I got my CED M2 and finally got it to the range this week. Preformed well but my speaker function went wonky on the first trip. Not a huge deal but damn, it's brand new ya know? Ran some .223 and 9mm and was rather surprised by the results. So far NONE of my 124 gr cast RN bullets are making anywhere close to PF for production. I'm still doing load development but found a pretty accurate load that's only giving me around a 146 PF. Hope that gets better. It's nice to be able to hook up and download the results to a laptop and export to Excel. Now I just need to read up on what all the abbreviations are in that data, some I didn't recognize or know how to use. All in all I'm pleased with my purchase. I didn't get the custom bag at first but the box is a PITA, so I have one coming now.

Thanks again for all the suggestions,

Kraken Fan #69