PDA

View Full Version : Redding #2 shell holder won't fit

eka
01-06-2008, 01:48 AM
Sometime back I bought a Redding #2 shell holder and today I tried to get it to snap into the ram of my Rockchucker and it wouldn't go in. I mated it up to an RCBS #2 I had and eyeballed them and they looked the same. Anyone else had any Redding shell holders that wouldn't fit in the ram?

Keith

STP
01-06-2008, 08:14 AM
eka,

It better fit...!

Clean out the shellholder recess of the ram with a cotton swab. Also, inspect that little snap ring as it tends to accumulate primer debris and such.

danski26
01-06-2008, 04:43 PM
I had a problem with a Redding shellholder once. It had a burr under the lip and a case could not be slid into it. Just thought is was a fluk as I never had the problem with any others.

eka
01-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Cleaning out the ram was my first thought as well. But, that clearly was not the issue since my other shell holders still work fine. So, I got out the calipers and took some measurements of some of my other shell holders. The numbers are as follows, with the offending Redding #2 first. I measured the small diamter middle section.

Redding #2: .442

Redding #19: .433

RCBS #20: .437

RCBS #3: .432

RCBS #6: .432

Redding #1: .437

RCBS #2: .432

Looks to me like this sucker is just too big. It won't even start to go into the ram. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not losing any sleep over a $6 shell holder. I've just never had the first problem with anything from Redding, but as we all know, nobody is perfect all the time. Looks like the problem is when you get over into the .440 territory. Oh, well I'll give them a call and see if they won't send me a replacement. Won't hurt to ask and I know what would happen if it was the other green team, no questions asked.

Keith

EMC45
01-07-2008, 09:22 AM
I had a problem once with a Lee shellholder for the 7.5X55Swiss dies. Had to stone a ring off the bottom, because it wouldn't fit in my hand prime RCBS tool. Now it fits.

cuzinbruce
01-07-2008, 10:34 AM
I had the same thing one time with a shell holder that wouldn't go in the ram. Just made wrong. I think it was an RCBS holder and an RCBS press. The diameter was OK, it was the groove in the holder where it fits in. Other shell holders were fine in the press. Sent it back and got a new one, which is fine.

eka
01-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Called Redding. They were aware of the problem and told me they had experienced some issues with their cutting equipment. They are sending a replacement. Couldn't ask for better than that.

Keith