PDA

View Full Version : Xd40

bigted
04-28-2014, 02:19 AM
trade in the works for an XD40 Springfield pistol ... 5 inch.

don't know a thing about them personally ... any light you could shine on them would most certainly be appreciated.

thanks.

mckenziedrums
04-28-2014, 08:08 AM
I've got an older one... It's a fantastic shooting pistol that I've never had a single issue with. I primarily shoot lead out of mine and for plinking I lean towards 180gr bullets with maybe 4gr of bullseye behind them. Very little recoil with that kind of load! Now my self defense load I've worked up is another story. I'm pushing 165gr JHP at about 1180fps out of that long barrel using Longshot powder. I'll let you work up to your own load on that one!

bigted
04-28-2014, 02:04 PM
cool ... not only my first "plastic" handguns but my first 40 in a handgun as well. is it possible to exchange slide assembly's to another cal? I would like to have a 9 mil slide assembly as well but don't know if there is the availability for this kinda conversion.

if I get it I will have another caliber to get dies and components for. loading components ... molds and such ... yippy!!!

mckenziedrums
04-28-2014, 04:21 PM
I've not messed with it but I'm pretty sure that you can just get a conversion barrel and be done with it. No need to swap the entire slide. Considering that I can shoot 40's that are basically like 9mm recoil wise it's just not worth buying one in my book. 40 is a VERY versatile caliber when you can reload it!

bigted
04-29-2014, 12:43 AM
I went ahead and did the trade ... took it out with some Remington factory rounds today on my way to town and ... golly ... this hummer really shoots!

the sights are adjusted way off to the left but ... at 50 yards it drills em rite in there. I tried it at 100 yds as well and was astonished that with very little holdover ... I could slug em rite in there. any rock seen was fair game and more times then not ... after I adjusted to the creepy trigger and the soft letoff AND holding off to the right ... it is a rock drill for me. heck I would not hesitate to hunt deer with this pistol.

like you ... I see little benefit in getting another barrel for it as this 40 S&W seems like it is going to be A-OK in my book. I have to say I am more then a little surprised in this combo. it seems to be much better then I had thought possible ... my gamble paid off this time.

I am a died in the wool 45 auto maniac but I have to say ... this will give pause for me and make me wonder which I like the best.

woodsxdragon
04-29-2014, 01:41 AM
Well I can't speak to the 40 but I've got an XD45 and a compact 9. I've done some work to the 45 and I can tell you the sky and your pocket book are the only limits on modifications to them. it eats steel, aluminum, and brass and has never had a problem. As far as autos for me personally it's what i'm most accurate with.

bigted
04-29-2014, 02:53 AM
so if I understand this correctly ... the only thing to change is the barrel and spring to change this from 40 S&W to 45 ACP?

I do not know whether I actually desire to go with 45 instead of 40 but the more I can understand about this pistol the better I will feel. sorry to say but I have lost touch with the "new" style of handguns ... been on a revolver kick for about 30 years and for my carry I have a spiffy springfield 45 auto in the government style that I am so familiar with.

these "plastic" guns are still a mystery to me as I have done NO investigation on them as they do not have the soul of the colt design or the wheel guns I like so much ...

however this pistol is going to take me to school ... I see that now. I never shot my 1911 A1 near this good without much practice and I shot this XD just fine rite outta the gate ... surprised is an understatement. I don't know the factory loads I shot except that they are Remington and no lead showing on the solid nose. they sure do shoot tho.

woodsxdragon
04-29-2014, 08:14 PM
so if I understand this correctly ... the only thing to change is the barrel and spring to change this from 40 S&W to 45 ACP?

I do not know whether I actually desire to go with 45 instead of 40 but the more I can understand about this pistol the better I will feel. sorry to say but I have lost touch with the "new" style of handguns ... been on a revolver kick for about 30 years and for my carry I have a spiffy springfield 45 auto in the government style that I am so familiar with.

these "plastic" guns are still a mystery to me as I have done NO investigation on them as they do not have the soul of the colt design or the wheel guns I like so much ...

however this pistol is going to take me to school ... I see that now. I never shot my 1911 A1 near this good without much practice and I shot this XD just fine rite outta the gate ... surprised is an understatement. I don't know the factory loads I shot except that they are Remington and no lead showing on the solid nose. they sure do shoot tho.
Not sure on the xd40 for sure but most of the time you can switch to 9 and 357 SIG but not to 45. Actually most are like that. Pistolgear amf springerprecision are who most of my parts came from.

mrk_86
04-30-2014, 08:19 PM
i sold my xd 40 last year and regret it every time i see one. shoots pretty well with any ammo i loaded for it

69daytona
04-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Just picked up a 4" xd40, for a summer carry gun, can't wait to take it out and shoot it, have a few thousand 175gr TC cast loaded, I really like the way it feels in my hand and points almost perfect.

bigted
04-30-2014, 11:21 PM
before packing them all up I went over to the rock pit this evening with my springfield 1911 A-1 for a bit of sketer ducking and lead throwing.

this canon is nice to shoot and does well but I gotta say that shootability and accuracy at hitting what I want at any yardage is getting more blurred all the time. I can see this XD getting to be my favorite pistol and pretty sure that this pistol is going to be a pretty sure fit into my packer pistol to replace the 1911 that I have been in love with for ever.

guess an old dog CAN learn new lessons huh?