PDA

View Full Version : Dacron?

David R
09-09-2005, 06:15 AM
I went to wally world inthe crafts dept to buy some dacron. All they had that looked like it was polyester. Is it the same? I bought a yard of it.

David

44man
09-09-2005, 02:10 PM
You won't find anything marked Dacron. I buy the garneted polyester fiberfill. It is much finer without all the different sizes of strands and is easier to work with.
Sounds like you bought something different. The right stuff comes in a bag and is used to stuff pillows and stuffed animals. It does not come by the yard.

StarMetal
09-09-2005, 02:17 PM
44man

The info you gave about Dacron is wrong. First Dacron IS polyester. Second Dacron does not particularly come packaged a certain way. Third Dacron sure does come by the yard, in fact in sheet form for quilt batting.

David...don't worry...you have Dacron in what you bought. My last batch I bought was indeed the sheet type. Dacron can be found in many different forms. Long as it's fiberous and it's polyester, it's dacron.

Joe

P.S. 44man, not all the info you gave is wrong, it does come in the forms you mentioned too. This is not a flame.

David R
09-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks guys.

I worked in a mattress factory for a short while. I did all the ordering, and part of it was Dacron for the quilting machine ( I got to run it when it was new). We would buy a tractor trailer load every few weeks. It came in 96" rolls, 1/4" up to 1.5" depending on the quality of the bed we were putting it in. We paid for by the pound. What I bought Looks like the same stuff, but I didn't know about the "Polyester" part of it.

I bought a yard because if I cut it up into 1" squares or something, it will weigh the same every time. I could cut triangles, strips, or what ever fits best into the case.

My biggest concern was polyester burns like crazy. That is why I wear cotton jeans at work. The toilet paper I used as filler didn't burn so this shouldn't either.

Gonna try it
David

StarMetal
09-09-2005, 10:49 PM
David

Cut only enough to fill the space between the powder and the base of the bullet. Leave no airspace between it and the bullet. In other words don't tamp it down atop the powder. Make yourself a little tool to grab it and bring the part you grabbed down again the powder. That ways the rest of it trails where you grabbed it filling the airspace. For 308 size cartridges if my powder fills only half the space I cut a piece of my Dacron (which is 1/2 thick) 1/2x1/2 about an inch long. Once you cut one you know whether it fits right in the space when you try it. Like I said most important thing is never tamp a filler of anykind down atop the powder leaving an airspace above it.

Joe

7s&8s
09-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Greetings Starmetal.
Why is it that you say don't tamp the dacron?
Regards,
Tom

StarMetal
09-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Tom

That is because anything that is on top of the powder and there is an airspace between it and the bullet makes the bullet become an obstruction in the barrel. In other words the wad compressed the air between itself and the bullet and can ring or bulge the barrel. Be the same as shooting another bullet behind an bullet that is lodged somewhere up the barrel. The results may not be as disasterous, but still can ruin the chamber or barrel. We preach that here for using fillers. So far nobody has really proved that fillers used properly have ringed barrels.

Joe

sideironjohn
09-10-2005, 12:03 AM
What's this I hear about florist foam? Anyone use it? Seems it could be very easy to punch out a plug using the case mouth as a "die." And it's pretty cheap, too.

David R
09-10-2005, 05:55 AM
Thanks everyone, gonna try it in the 222 once I get the lead out of the barrel. I took the rest of the sized and lubed boolits and hit theme one more time with LLA to see if I can get rid of the leading. This barrel is junk and was when the gun was new. I only plan on using this gun for hunting small game, so when I am done spearmenting, and have it shooting how I want, it will be nice.

David

Buckshot
09-10-2005, 06:18 AM
...........Dupont invented the spun polyester and they called it Dacron, so Dacron stuck. But that's all it is, spun polyester. You buy it in several forms. I used to buy it in glazed sheets and cut it up. Now I just buy it in a big ole wad in a plastic bag. With a handfull in my left hand I just pull off what looks good and stuff it in the case.

Other then the sheets for quilt batting, the fluffy bags I'd formerly bought was filled with snow white, extremely fine stuff, and the distributer called it Mountain Mist. This last bag was a faint grayish and is courser. The filiments are still very thin but not as thin as previous stuff and it sure lofts (ie: bulks)better.

However it is a bigger PITA to get it into a 6.5mm caseneck, I can guar-on-tee you that :D

.............Buckshot

44man
09-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Star, I know you are not flaming me. I only said the stuff is not marked as Dacron. The clerk will look at you funny if you ask for Dacron too. My fabric store has the batting also but it is so thick and intertwined it is useless. I was looking for just the right thickness to punch the filler out of but they don't have anything. My wife had a piece and I tried to pull some off and had these humongous long and course strands. Thats why I don't use it. The garneted stuff is very fine with all the strands the same. It is easy to pull a ball of it off and stuff in the case without those big strings sticking out all over.
Maybe there is a nice thin and fine batting, but I can't find it here. Of course, this is WV!

44man
09-10-2005, 06:01 PM
David, I don't think the polyester will burn in your case. I only use it in the 45-70 which is a larger case then yours. I made an effort to find what was blown from the muzzle and I never found any that was burned. It was just dirty and could be used again.

StarMetal
09-10-2005, 08:53 PM
44 man is right it doesn't burn in the barrel. It mostly gets blowed out and dirtied. Hey 44 I'm just a few blocks down the road from you in TN and we have it here in my little two bit town, the sheet stuff that is.

Joe

44man
09-11-2005, 12:16 AM
I live too close to Virginia which is the most backward part of the country!
How do you explain Virginia putting salt on 8" of snow before plowing? I understand that years ago they had people from Ohio try to teach them how to clean the roads, well, that failed. They also wait for all the cars to crash before putting salt on black ice. Coming home from work after a storm that closed all the roads would make me detour 30 miles out of my way. As soon as I drove across the WV line, all the roads were clean and dry.
Tried once to get a ridge reamer to remove pistons from an engine. Nobody knew what I was talking about.
Do you really expect me to find what I need in a store? You should try to find ball bearings! I'm surprised they sell food!
I have a hard time finding flannel for cleaning patches. I have to drive to Frederick MD for that.
TN and Ohio are so far ahead it is unreal. By the way, I am from Ohio.
Why, they don't even have a selection of booze here. I have to drive a 35 mile round trip to even find that.
I worked in VA for 17 years, commuting to WV. If a store doesn't have something, it is another 100 miles to the next store and chances are they won't have it either. Does no good to call because they won't know anyway.
I will forever be amazed at how backward this part of the country is. To think this part of the country was the start of the movement west! All the smart people left! Then there is Merry-land to the north---Oh well, thats another story.
Hope you enjoyed that. Trouble is that it is all true. Yeah, this place is funny.

grumble
09-11-2005, 12:39 AM
44man, you just don't know how good you got it!

Double the distances, and halve the amenities, and you'll have half an idea of life in the "real" US of A.

I just dunno about you Easterners! <GGG>

Slowpoke
09-12-2005, 12:12 AM
I live too close to Virginia which is the most backward part of the country!
How do you explain Virginia putting salt on 8" of snow before plowing? I understand that years ago they had people from Ohio try to teach them how to clean the roads, well, that failed. They also wait for all the cars to crash before putting salt on black ice. Coming home from work after a storm that closed all the roads would make me detour 30 miles out of my way. As soon as I drove across the WV line, all the roads were clean and dry.
Tried once to get a ridge reamer to remove pistons from an engine. Nobody knew what I was talking about.
Do you really expect me to find what I need in a store? You should try to find ball bearings! I'm surprised they sell food!
I have a hard time finding flannel for cleaning patches. I have to drive to Frederick MD for that.
TN and Ohio are so far ahead it is unreal. By the way, I am from Ohio.
Why, they don't even have a selection of booze here. I have to drive a 35 mile round trip to even find that.
I worked in VA for 17 years, commuting to WV. If a store doesn't have something, it is another 100 miles to the next store and chances are they won't have it either. Does no good to call because they won't know anyway.
I will forever be amazed at how backward this part of the country is. To think this part of the country was the start of the movement west! All the smart people left! Then there is Merry-land to the north---Oh well, thats another story.
Hope you enjoyed that. Trouble is that it is all true. Yeah, this place is funny.

You nailed the VA part pretty good.

I always like to tell some of these VA natives, AS long as this place has been on the map you would think someone would have it figured out by now !!

Stay safe, good luck

44man
09-12-2005, 12:33 AM
I guess I was spoiled. I could find anything in the world in OHIO in any direction from home.
My friends that had to move to VA tell horror stories about trying to find a place to hunt. The natives almost shoot you trying to get you away from their door if you ask to hunt. Then they scream to the state about all the deer problems.
I had the whole state of Ohio to shoot and hunt in, never a problem and I gained farmer friends all over. The people were great!