PDA

View Full Version : Lee FCD for .32acp?

rondog
04-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Anybody know if Lee makes/offers a FCD for .32 acp? I can't find one on their website or at Titan either. I recently bought some .32 acp dies from Titan and the rounds won't "plunk test". Just a tad too fat. Needs me an FCD. If they don't make one I'm gonna be pissed.

jcwit
04-27-2014, 07:56 PM
To fat? Use your sizing die. But of course that will for sure squeeze the bullet under size. But they will "plunk" test.

rondog
04-27-2014, 07:58 PM
To fat? Use your sizing die. But of course that will for sure squeeze the bullet under size. But they will "plunk" test.

Trying to avoid that.....

jcwit
04-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Then I guess your option is being pissed.

Outpost75
04-27-2014, 08:53 PM
I got one from Lee as a special order for $30. You have to order as custom. Mine is marked ".32 S&W/ACP"

texassako
04-27-2014, 11:22 PM
Always keep an eye on their overruns: http://leeprecision.com/product.php?productid=4699&cat=18959&page=2 . You never know what custom caliber might be a stock item for a while.

HARRYMPOPE
04-27-2014, 11:24 PM
i too have one from lee special order from a recommendation of a 32 ACP fanatic i know.it really helps

kywoodwrkr
04-28-2014, 12:00 AM
Be careful in seating depth of projectile in the 32ACP. I've had trouble with anything over the normal 71 gr if not sized about .307.
The 32 ACP does not like diameters as large as the other 32 family members.
They create a bulge in the case right about where the base of the 71 gr FMJ would extend to.
YMMV

rondog
04-28-2014, 12:16 AM
Always keep an eye on their overruns: http://leeprecision.com/product.php?productid=4699&cat=18959&page=2 . You never know what custom caliber might be a stock item for a while.

Awesome! So they DO make one? But jeeze, $25 for one die....I only paid $29.71 for the whole set. I've sent emails to both Titan and Lee, gotta see what they say.

Outpost75
04-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Having the right tool for the job is important. And for that, the $25 price is INDEED a bargain. If you aren't willing do do that, you should give up on loading .32 ACP and give away your hoarded stuff to somebody who appreciates and is willing to deal with it. Using your case sizing die to excessively reduce the bullet inside the case, promising bore leading, poor accuracy and a mediocre result is not acceptable when the means exist to do it correctly.

rondog
04-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Having the right tool for the job is important. And for that, the $25 price is INDEED a bargain. If you aren't willing do do that, you should give up on loading .32 ACP and give away your hoarded stuff to somebody who appreciates and is willing to deal with it. Using your case sizing die to excessively reduce the bullet inside the case, promising bore leading, poor accuracy and a mediocre result is not acceptable when the means exist to do it correctly.

Are you lecturing me? Stop it. Not needed, not asked for. Keep your snotty, negative comments to yourself, thank you.

I just started with .32acp and was asking if an FCD was available because I didn't see one listed by Titan or Lee. The overrun die mentioned above will be mine momentarily, as soon as I call them.

Jeff Michel
04-28-2014, 11:25 AM
You ask for advise, then tear someone head off who's offering it........ An option was indicated on where to acquire one and then you have the temerity to bitch about the price. Make your own die for 25.00. Let the forum know how that goes for you.

rondog
04-28-2014, 11:36 AM
You ask for advise, then tear someone head off who's offering it........ An option was indicated on where to acquire one and then you have the temerity to bitch about the price. Make your own die for 25.00. Let the forum know how that goes for you.

Outpost75's comment wasn't advice. Neither is yours for that matter. Snarkiness isn't called for. I'm sure I'm not the first to grouse about the price of an item. I truly thank Texassako for his post, that answered my question and told me what I needed to know. Although I groaned over the price. The die is ordered and on the way.

jcwit
04-28-2014, 11:39 AM

Its the way he came across.

I also thought his reply was more than a little harsh regarding my suggestion of using a sizing die. I stated it would down size the bullet, and of course it would cause leading if in fact the bullet is under bore size.

Wonder how/why Lee would have a special close out on a special order item?

jcwit
04-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Outpost75's comment wasn't advice. Neither is yours for that matter. Snarkiness isn't called for. I'm sure I'm not the first to grouse about the price of an item. I truly thank Texassako for his post, that answered my question and told me what I needed to know. Although I groaned over the price. The die is ordered and on the way.

Well there you go, all taken care of, hope it works well for you. Myself, I see no need for the FCD, but heck I do not know everything, most everything but a little short here and there.

Good Luck

rondog
04-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Well there you go, all taken care of, hope it works well for you. Myself, I see no need for the FCD, but heck I do not know everything, most everything but a little short here and there.

Good Luck

Thank you. The Lee FCD's are certainly either loved or hated, that's for sure. I tend to use them in all my pistol calibers. They typically aren't needed for jacketed bullets and little sizing happens, but cast bullets tend to be a skosh larger and the FCD nicely squeezes the cases back to spec.

I too think it's odd that the FCD for .32 auto has to be special ordered, maybe demand is too low to keep them as a stock item. Oh well, I'm glad they DO make them, and happened to have one.

Outpost75
04-28-2014, 11:57 AM
If you don't want the answer, then don't ask the question. If the lessons of 40 years experience in the firearms and ammunition industry are not relevant, have fun learning the way I did through the school of hard knocks. I was just trying to shorten your learning curve.

r1kk1
04-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Rondog

Have you slugged the bore? Is the brass the same make? Just curious.

Are you seating and crimping in one step?

Take care

r1kk1

jcwit
04-28-2014, 12:40 PM
If you don't want the answer, then don't ask the question. If the lessons of 40 years experience in the firearms and ammunition industry are not relevant, have fun learning the way I did through the school of hard knocks. I was just trying to shorten your learning curve.

Man alive you sure have an attitude!

Your sugar too low?

dudel
04-28-2014, 01:55 PM

Please reread the OP. He asked if a specific tool was available; not justification for the price, or what to do with his ammo, or what he should give up on.

HARRYMPOPE
04-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Man alive you sure have an attitude!

Your sugar too low?

No,he had the correct answer and nobody listened.This is the same info i received from a friend who spent quite of bit of time in the firearms industry.

George

MtGun44
04-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Lee FCD is a solution looking for a problem.

Bill

jcwit
04-30-2014, 08:23 PM
No,he had the correct answer and nobody listened.This is the same info i received from a friend who spent quite of bit of time in the firearms industry.

George

Yes, and he did it in a condescending manner.

jcwit
04-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Lee FCD is a solution looking for a problem.

Bill

That's the way I see it, but there are those that--------------------------------------------??????????????????????

Oh well.