PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it? lol

twc1964
04-27-2014, 03:04 PM
I was just given about a 5 gal bucket of wheel weights. While sorting i bet 40 percent were zinc, steel and those rubber stick ons. what a pain. When done i had maybe 20 pounds soww and 25 of coww. i guess if your bored on a sunday its ok to sort but i think the scrapyard would yeild better results with not so much nipper work. well ok, guess my rant is over, besides it was my first bucket and was free. hmmm

9w1911
04-27-2014, 03:11 PM
that is the gamble with buckets of ww

bangerjim
04-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Key word here is........."GIVEN".

Did not cost you anything but your personal time. That value is totally up to you. In my case, my time is way to valuable to be picking thru old WW's, only to get a 40-50% yield.

But many still rely on melting down old WW's for their casting needs. It is up to you. I prefer to buy the raw Pb and alloys and make my own casting soup.

If yards around you allow you in to snoop around (many areas do NOT allow that!) that is an excellent way to acquire your boolit materials.......and most are clean and ready to melt....without all those stinking clips and road gunk.

But it is totally up to you! Free is good........but not always "FREE".

Have fun!

bangerjim

twc1964
04-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Yep banger, i was told the tire shop guy has a massive bin full of ww. a couple family members cast also. my brother in law is his friend and was told i can get a free bucket now and again. guess i will just sort as i get em so i don't spend days sorting. minimize the pain so to speak. lol

Lee
04-27-2014, 03:39 PM
"Free" and complaining? Cmon. There is coming a day when Gubmint/epa/osha will want you to TURN IN all your LEAD, because it kills things. Sources here are dried up. Political/Friend ****. Get all you can. It is NOT going to get any better! Remember gasoline for $0.25/gallon? Just spent almost $4/gallon this week. No reasons, no stories, no excuses. Just bend over at the pump, and pump.

Thanks guys, rant off.

Just the way I think I am seeing it. YMMV .... Lee

lightman
04-27-2014, 05:01 PM
I have several hundred pounds that I have been working my way thru. Maybe as much as 700 - 800 # and I have about $100 in them. They are a PITA, but I'll sit in the shop door and sip on a beer or two and sort until I get tired or bored and quit. I'm still getting a pretty good yield and I'll keep collecting until I know that I have that "Lifetime Supply". I'm seeing more stick-on than in the past and I'm probably culling a few lead ones, just to be on the safe side. Lightman

cdngunner
04-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Sorting wheel weights is a good reason to grab a friend, buy a case of beer and shoot the **** for an hour or two.

lightman
04-27-2014, 10:55 PM
Yup, My thinking exactly! Lightman

62chevy
04-27-2014, 11:08 PM
A couple of weeks ago my Son-in-law gave me a gallon of COWW with no SOWW but most were lead with 2 Zn and about 10 steel and a bunch of plastic. Will likely yield over 15 #.

canyon-ghost
04-27-2014, 11:47 PM
Free is a lot better than $1/pound!

twc1964
04-28-2014, 06:52 AM
Ok fellas, i hear ya. must have been my male pms kicking in lol. i ended up with 48 lb of usable lead. tons of steel and cigarette butts. other than a slightly sore hand from the cutters, no harm done.