PDA

View Full Version : more lead questions, what to do

9w1911
04-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Would you guys spend the money on 135lbs of pure for 100.00(this is in lead sheets, maybe less because I have to drive an hour one way to get it, or would you take that 100.00 to my tire shop where I can get 2 or 3 full buckets of WW. I already have about 300lbs of coww, 18 of soww, and about 25lbs of Lino, and 2.5 of pewter ingots

*got him down to 90.00 for the sheet lead

mikeym1a
04-27-2014, 02:35 PM
The salvage yard here in town charges $1.00/lb for 'scrap' lead. It is mostly pure, from a stained glass window operation, but, it still cleans up at about 80% due to the sealants and stuff they use in the window business. SO, your price for pretty sheet lead is actually quite good. I need to make a lead run, as I've used quite a bit recently. Hope this helps. mikeym1a

9w1911
04-27-2014, 02:37 PM
yea it is a fair price, and I will go get it on Tuesday, I wanted to weigh the value of the pure vs the coww

bangerjim
04-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Definitely get the sheet stock!!!!!!! [smilie=w:

Pure lead is a MUST to have and those sheets melt easy and are simple to cut up to fit on your pot.

I pay $1/# for any/all lead products at my yards. And am glad to find it! Since you have all the other alloys, that pure will be nice to mix with it!!!!!

Go for it!

banger

9w1911
04-27-2014, 03:28 PM
will do banger!!!!!

ps: after I make the drive round trip I am prob looking at more like 1.00per lb, no problem, I agree it will be nice to add the pure to the lot of other alloys and will be a fun summer mixing and shootin

dbosman
04-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Grab what you can, when you can at any reasonable price. Unless there is a political ban, well stored lead isn't going to go down in value. I like lead sheeting as adding Rotometals Super Hard Alloy Ingot (30%-Antimony, 70%-Lead) and some tin makes it easy to get the alloy I want.

ssnow
04-28-2014, 11:12 PM
The price is good, if I needed or wanted the lead, I would buy at that price.

But you need to consider what YOU want to do with it. For example, I can buy WW cheaper than sheet lead. That is to say, that the market charges more for sheet than for WW, so the sheet lead is more "valuable" than WW.

But it's not more valuable to me, not for what I want to do. Adding tin and antimony for my needs adds a lot of expense to the cost of my using sheet lead. The sheet lead is the least valuable to me.........don't get me wrong, I'll buy it if I find a good deal, but I will take WW over sheet lead for the same money any day.

So there is a bigger question than just whether the price is good. It's a matter of what best meets your needs with the budget and lead availability that you have to work with.

9w1911
04-30-2014, 12:54 PM
so I did buy it after making ingots I got 134lbs, thought it was 136 but I may have lost some during smelting from oxidization and there was this weird sludge that I remelted down and got 3 pounds out of that, i think after gas and my time I ended paying close to .90 a pound