PDA

View Full Version : breaking in revolver barrel?

bmortell
04-27-2014, 09:04 AM
im going to soon be buying a new scoped revolver and want to get most accuracy i can from it. it will be a cast only gun but i was wondering for break in, if some jacketed would help, such as clean shoot couple jacketed and repeat a few times.
would that be good way to break barrel in, or is breaking in handguns a moot point? wouldnt copper jackets be better for smoothing the barrel
what do yall think

jrayborn
04-27-2014, 09:32 AM
I'd try it with cast initially. It may surprise you how accurate it is, as-is. With that being said, I have firelapped every revolver I have ever bought and noticed improvements. Mostly I try a very few with 500 grit and then a few more with 1000 grit. I would still shoot it first. If you don't have the gages and skills needed to get the most out of fire-lapping it can be difficult.

JSnover
04-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Clean it.
Then clean it again.
Then clean it some more.
I've seen so many differing opinions and methods, I think the only really important thing is to keep it clean for the first hundred rounds or so.

Mk42gunner
04-28-2014, 12:41 AM
I have bought a number of brand new revolvers over the years, along with a whole bunch of used ones.

What I have always done is clean and lube it first, then shoot it. Repeat as desired. I never tried the shoot a miniscule number of rounds and clean for fortyleven cycles, but my guns were accurate enough for me.

Now that it is hard to see the sights, it matters even less.

The one thing I would watch for is to see if it is leading heavily. If it starts that nonsense, clean it.

Robert

44man
04-28-2014, 07:46 AM
The latest guns need nothing. Last new Ruger SBH Hunter my friend bought did 1/2" at 50 yards right from the start. BFR's have never seen a jacketed either.
Just clean any copper out from the factory and go shoot.
Don't look for problems until they show up.