PDA

View Full Version : Old lyman 10lb casting pot

Frank46
04-27-2014, 04:29 AM
Have a problem. I have an old lyman 10lb casting pot(electric) that is full with the alloy I used to cast my 314299 bullets out of. The power cord has long since disappeared and I don't want to throw it out. Does anyone know if lyman still makes the cord for this pot. If no longer available can it be rewired to restore it to operation?. Cast a bunch of bullets with it and really just don't want to toss it in the trash.
yeah I know cheap,cheap. Thanks Frank

ShinyPartsUp
04-27-2014, 04:46 AM
Have you called Lyman customer service to see if they have any in stock?

jeepyj
04-27-2014, 06:42 AM
Is it possible for you to post a picture of the area of the plug?
Jeepyj

45-70bpcr
04-27-2014, 07:08 AM
Can you tip the pot on its side and carefully melt the alloy out into an ingot mold with a propane torch?

3006guns
04-27-2014, 08:52 AM
What is so "special" or "different" about the cord? Can you describe the connection on the pot? If it has two round pins it's probably the old "appliance cord" used on irons and toasters years ago, and those show up on Ebay regularly. For that matter, any well equipped hardware store should be able to still order one.

Failing that, it can't be that hard to hard wire another cord to the pot and save it.

gmsharps
04-27-2014, 09:31 AM
It is a common cord. You should be able to find one at Wal-Mart or an appliance store. I have found them at yard sales either with the appliance or by themselves in a pile. I have always kept a couple around. Still do not have my stuff unpacked or I would see if I have a spare.

gmsharps

roysha
04-27-2014, 06:40 PM
ebay item 251513317693. Probably exactly what you need. I have one from an old Potter 5 lb. pot that has the switch built into the plug because the Potter did not have a thermostat so when the lead got too hot the pot could be shut off. I don't use the Potter but the cord is on one of my old Lyman 10 lb. pots and sure is handy.

HeavyMetal
04-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Most likely you have an old Model Lyman 61 the cords on these cook off every couple years pending use.

A good hardware store, such as Ace, carries the standard appliance cord for electric griddles and frying pans exact same cord.

Get one and plug it in and see if it gets hot! should be pouring in 20 minutes with a full load!

Frank46
04-30-2014, 10:52 PM
Sorry not to have responded sooner. Forgot where I posted this. Next time I go into town will check out ace. And you are right about the cord or rather the plug with the two holes that mate up with the two pins on the pot. From what I remember (senior case of crs) the plug would get very hot and start making crackling noises. Thanks for the tips and suggestions. Frank

Janoosh
05-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Very common cord. Farberware coffee pot cord works well. Shop at tag sales and buy the whole unit...cheeep