PDA

View Full Version : Coffee table for casting.

Frank46
04-27-2014, 04:24 AM
Got a decent coffee table from my youngest daughter when she got dirvorced from her husband of one year. The less said about him the better. Anyway due to the fact I can't stand for long periods of time due to diabetic neuropathy thought it would make up into a great casting table. Actually came free as she used my truck to drive to San Angelo TX and back with her stuff. Going to remove the legs and try to figure out how high it has to be with me sitting down in a chair. I looked at all the goodwill stores in two different towns and no one had any used coffee tables. Must be a run on coffee tables. Frank

ShinyPartsUp
04-27-2014, 04:52 AM
I hit the same problem with a bad back and bad knee. I'm trying to figure out something a bit more portable sine I am space deprived and want to cast outdoors. So far I am leaning toward a folding light-weight plastic topped table with some plywood cut to size on the top. My concern is the strength of the legs. Hot lead spilling would ruin my day. Ideas welcome. As for the coffee table idea, I like it and might have to consider that and reattach legs each time I use it, but weight an issue for me. I've seen people use the tailgate of an old truck (I have one), but standing isn't fun for that long.

JSnover
04-27-2014, 08:31 AM
A few years ago I was considering the same thing. Harbor Freight had some work benches that would have worked, with a few modifications.
The project was scrapped but this one might have worked. Cut the legs off at the bottom shelf and add some casters...http://t.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/workbench/60-in-4-drawer-hardwood-workbench-69054.html

ShinyPartsUp
04-27-2014, 09:27 AM
A few years ago I was considering the same thing. Harbor Freight had some work benches that would have worked, with a few modifications.
The project was scrapped but this one might have worked. Cut the legs off at the bottom shelf and add some casters...http://t.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/workbench/60-in-4-drawer-hardwood-workbench-69054.html

That got me thinking. I think it is still too big and bulky, and more importantly it is more than I want to spend. But I did see this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-height-heavy-duty-workstation-46725.html

I'm thinking two side by side. room for a pot, dross pan, etc.
Each "half" of the work area can be moved separately, keeping wt. down. Multiple uses in the garage, and supports a ton of weight. Hmmmm...

JSnover
04-27-2014, 09:47 AM
Cheaper, more flexible... Smart.

osteodoc08
04-27-2014, 10:14 AM
I actually have a small wooden kiddie table on the porch I cast from right now. I'm still young so stooping a little doesn't hurt. I did manage to set up my reloading bench so I could sit on a rolling stool and work the equipment.

I imagine somewhere between 32"-36" work height should about do it.

DCP
04-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Black & Decker WM225 Workmate 225 450-Pound Capacity Portable Work Bench

This is what I use

mold maker
04-27-2014, 06:32 PM
The first HF work bench can be had for $139. - 25%, but it's not the easiest to make into a casting or loading bench. I have the smaller adjustable height table, but to be useful as a casting table you need more space than the (cheap chip core) top, and the under shelves are just 1/8" hardboard. All three are pron to adsorb moisture. The top grew a white mold sitting in my loading room and the shelves gave way with two Mihec 4c brass molds on one and a ladle and hammer handle on the other. These can be replaced with wood to make a barely serviceable table, but for the work involved in its assembly, I'd just get some 2X4s and build to a better size and strength.
For those still able to stand, sometimes Lowes/HD have upper kitchen cabinets in distress for a song. Usually a plywood top added makes a great perminate (fastened to a wall) work station at about the right height with lots of under storage.

ShinyPartsUp
04-27-2014, 10:37 PM
I got two of the smaller HF tables for less than $60 shipped. If I need to replace the work surface with plywood or even some tongue-in-groove hardwood I think it will work for me. We shall see.

Spruce
04-27-2014, 11:12 PM
You may want to try what I use. Two plastic saw bucks, with a 3/4'' x2'x4' plywood top from one of the big box wood stores. I use a sheet metal oil drip pan from wal-mart on top of that.

The saw bucks can sometimes be bought from yard sales for little. You can adjust the height
with wood blocks, bricks, etc.

Frank46
04-27-2014, 11:15 PM
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. The legs on the table I now have can be removed so as to allow changes in height and it was FREE. Frank

MT Gianni
04-27-2014, 11:29 PM
The thing to watch when casting sitting down is a spill or tinsel fairy visit. Be absolutely sure you can stand from a sitting position, that you have a shop apron or something covering legs, groin and shoe tops from any pot tip over.

Mk42gunner
04-27-2014, 11:53 PM
I think the important thing is to first find the chair you will be using, then make the table top compatible with its height.

I need to build a sit down casting station since my back and knee won't let me stand for very long now. I have been using a reloading bench that I built for standing use and it has always been bit too tall for comfortable casting once I put the 4-20 or the Promelt on it.

My main problem is the room I use for casting and reloading is only 7x10 with shelves down the long sides.

I'll figure it out some day.

Robert

starmac
04-28-2014, 02:09 AM
This probably won't do anybody else any good, but I wound up with a cutting board table that is 30" square on heavy legs and castors. When I am sitting in a chair I still have to bend down just a little to be eye level with the spout on the pot, so it could stand to be about 3 to 6 inches taller. It has one shelf under it and is built stout, so I can just roll it out of the way when not in use. The best part is it was free.

rondog
04-28-2014, 02:15 AM
Man, ain't this what cinder blocks and 2x12's are for? That, and entertainment centers for bachelors.....

ShinyPartsUp
04-29-2014, 01:39 AM
Thinking about the safety aspect that MT GIANNI brought up, I will use a chair on castors so I can spin/shove myself away from the station. And since my face is going to be closer to the pot than if I were standing, I think it is time to get a face shield. Thanks for making me think about that more Gianni.

I thought about saw horses since I have four plastic ones, but unless I screwed in a piece of plywood into some 2x4's on the top of them, I'd feel like it would have a chance to slide if bumped, but that makes it less convenient; also, to have a surface big enough to allow my legs to stretch between the sawhorse legs and under the plywood sheet, it would have to be longer and heavier than I want. But it is cheap. Portability, efficiency and safety are big to me and the sawhorse idea didn't work well. I did think about going to a local wood salvage yard and pick up a slab-sided door to use as a top on the horses to save money, but again with my back and knee both needing surgery, it isn't feasible.

Good discussion, IMHO.

TheDoctor
04-29-2014, 04:08 PM
I use one of these. Easy to haul out on my back deck.
http://www.skilshop.com/skil-3115-02-mpp-x-bench-workbench/skln3115-02,default,pd.html?start=6&cgid=skil-x-bench

If you can not figure it out in a few minutes, you probably need to find a different obsession.

markshere2
05-01-2014, 12:41 PM
I built a 2x4 base to hold a discarded counter top. I put down a panel of stainless to make cleanup easy. I braced and triangulated ,the legs and I store ingots under it. It is very heavy and stable. A bar stool puts me at the right height.

osteodoc08
05-01-2014, 01:31 PM
The thing to watch when casting sitting down is a spill or tinsel fairy visit. Be absolutely sure you can stand from a sitting position, that you have a shop apron or something covering legs, groin and shoe tops from any pot tip over.

I was casting late one night when one of those big June bugs or whatever it was did a kamakazi dive into my nearly full lee pot. You ain't never seen me move so fast. I dropped everything and literally jumped several feet fearing a tinsel fairly visit. It hissed and popped and charred on top for a second and there was some lead on the pot where it splash landed. Once it quit sputtering and making noise, I dipped it out and resumed my work.

tward
05-01-2014, 01:32 PM
I also like to cast sitting down. My quick and dirty method uses a Weber kettle with a flattened cardboard box over the grate.103728103729 works well for me. Tim

ShinyPartsUp
05-01-2014, 11:34 PM
I also like to cast sitting down. My quick and dirty method uses a Weber kettle with a flattened cardboard box over the grate.103728103729 works well for me. Tim

Now that is unique.

maglvr
05-02-2014, 02:16 AM
"Got a decent coffee table from my youngest daughter when she got dirvorced from her husband of one year."

Man, I'd throw a party, if my daughter, ever stuck out a marriage, that long!!

maglvr

AlaskanGuy
05-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Them harbor freight tables need locking wheels... That is what i would be looking for....

Frank46
05-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Actually the day she got married I told her it wasn't too late to back out. plus the grooms mother didn't pay for the boat tickets and my daughter had to pay. found out about it before I left the ship before it sailed. At least its over and she has a better guy with her now. Frank

ShinyPartsUp
05-05-2014, 03:27 AM
Them harbor freight tables need locking wheels... That is what i would be looking for....

I got them, but haven't put them together yet. I agree that would be a nice feature, but I just lifted the entire box and it is well within my weight limit for lifting. After I *** some tools we shall see.