PDA

View Full Version : Lyman drive on front sight

Frank46
04-27-2014, 04:02 AM
Have a 1917 (U.S.) barrel in 30-06 that has a frosted bore and has been cut down. Front sight is one of the older steel ramp type that you drive on to the barrel. I've removed the front sight blade and set screw under the blade. I've tried using a brass rod with a rawhide hammer to try and slide the ramp off the bbl. That didn't work so soaked it in kroil and that didn't work. Been thinking about using a mapp torch with a small tip to gently heat it up hopefully trying to get the part that encircles the barrel to expand from the heat. Anyone else had the same problem or ideas on how to safely remove the base without damaging it?. Any suggestions and or comments are appreciated. Thanks, Frank

Reg
04-27-2014, 10:28 AM
A torch might not be a bad way to go as the sight might have been soft soldered on, this was commonly done years ago. Don't use a small tip . Use the largest tip you can fit to your torch then move the flame quickly all around the band section. You will get much more uniform heating. Using a small tip you will concentrate the heat to only a very tiny area and by the time you get one side hot enough to melt any solder that might be there you have to go to the other to heat it up and you will lose the heat from the oppisent side.
Even if it is not soldered on and just shrink fitted still use the big tip for the same reasons.

TCLouis
04-27-2014, 09:26 PM
Is there a pin in that sight?

I am asking, as some were pined and after years the pin is hard to see

Frank46
04-27-2014, 11:38 PM
Nope no pin and I did look. As far as the type of solder either hard or soft is concerned I can't see anything resembling solder regardless of what type was used. Was thinking of using two pieces of hardwood on the vise jaws and grab the ramp between the wood and then heating it up. Then using a leather mallet to try and drive the barrel back and off the sight. There isn't any finish on the bbl and looks to have been cold blued. Bore is frosty and kinda dark. Hopefully the hardwood will last long enough in holding the ramp and getting the barrel off. Thanks for your suggestions and comments. Frank

imashooter2
04-27-2014, 11:44 PM
Short blows with a heavy hammer are much better at removing stuck parts than even hard hits with a light hammer. Try the brass rod again with a substantial hammer.

canyon-ghost
04-27-2014, 11:50 PM
Do those slide off the right side like handgun sights?

Mooseman
04-28-2014, 12:12 AM
I am surprised if it doesn't have the square pin between the top of the barrel and keyed into the sight base running the same direction as the barrel... I haven't encountered one that didnt have that "Key"..
Rich

Frank46
04-28-2014, 11:43 PM
Don't think it has the square key that you speak of. The bbl has been cut back some. The redfield drive on ramp sight just has a set screw under the sight blade. That one came off easy, just removed the pin holding the sight blade in place take out the sight blade and a few good whacks with a large rawhide mallet and off she came. I looked at it again and did see some rust showing a bit. Frank

FrankG
04-29-2014, 01:06 AM
I had a heck of a time getting one of those off too. Had a little set screw in dovetail under blade sight. Ramp was soldered with a very light dab of solder under the top section most of its length and a narrow band under ring at bottom . They didn't use much solder but boy it was anchored. Heated it with propane torch and it spit some solder out and that's when I whacked it with brass drift on its tail driving off with 16 oz ball pein .