PDA

View Full Version : Odd and slightly off topic-ish

jayhkr
04-27-2014, 01:12 AM
Since you guys are HIGHLY recommended in the lead pouring community I thought I would post this question here as no one else has really been able to help much. This question isn't really about boolit casting but it is about the 20# Lee Production Pot and pouring lead. I was graciously given a 20# pot from my uncle and thought it would be a great addition to my 10# Lee Production Pot. I cast a lot of fishing sinkers and thought the 20# would really help me. Well the issue I have is some of my molds have to have a pin sticking out of the mold from the top and I have yet to figure out how I can use the 20# pot for those molds. Since the pour spout is in much deeper than the 10# pot it makes it very difficult to use. I know it's a weird question but just curious if anyone has heard or knows of a solution. If not I'll just continue to use the 10# pot. At least when I do begin casting boolits I'll have 2 good choices to cast from! Thanks everyone!!

Mk42gunner
04-27-2014, 01:56 AM
Not knowing what type of sinker molds you are using makes this a real guessing game, I don't suppose you could post a picture could you?

I have three suggestions:

1. Use your old ten pound pot when needed, the 4-20 when you can.

2. Use a dipper.

3. Use the 4-20 to refill the ten pound pot when using the molds with the pin sticking out the top.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Zymurgy50
04-27-2014, 09:04 AM
Dipper or ladle, I also cast some fishing sinkers and jigs and some of the molds with wires sticking out wont even fit under a lead pot.

jayhkr
04-27-2014, 11:24 AM
That's what I kind of figured, however I didn't know if I was missing a trick or something. Sounds good, thanks guys!

slim1836
04-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Jayhwk,

I unscrewed the base of the 10lb pot, turned it 180 and screwed it back in using the same holes. I then took a section (8") of old railroad rail and set it on the base for ballast to offset the weight of the led in the pot.

This way you can set the pot on top anything to get unlimited height (or at the edge of the table) and not worry about having enough space under the bottom pour spout. Could also C clamp it down. Should work also on the 20 pounder, just make sure there is enough weight on the base once turned around to offset the weight of lead in the pot. Forgot that there were 2 support posts on the bottom of the 20lb pot that may warrant some sort of modification.

Slim