PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull+Lee C452-300-RF+Blue Dot=?

Southern Shooter
04-27-2014, 12:05 AM
FYI:
Today I was testing some load recipes with my Ruger SRH Alaskan in .454 Casull. I have been trying to find a blend of velocity, boolit weight, and accuracy. Today's happy point came with Lee C452-300-RF @ 315 grains, 17 grains of Blue Dot which grouped nicely and reached an average of 1,150 FPS. From a 2 1/2" barrel I thought such velocity was fair to midland and handled well. I will most likely push it up towards 18 grains and see how this boolit groups.

EDIT:
It should be noted that I used the groove closest to the meplat in the load.

RobS
04-27-2014, 12:31 PM
Blue dot is a good one for mid house loads in the area you are at and would be good with the short barrel. Another one that works similar to BD in 454 Casull/45 Colt is Alliants Steel but its tough to meter. I've found that the Lee auto disk powder measure with the square hopper and baffle cut out and hole opened up a bit make the powder charges repeatable and consistent with the larger disk volumes. I've read somewhere that the current Steel flakes may be smaller now but can't verify as I've not purchased any in the last few years and still have about a pound left from the jug I bought a few years back. The flakes of the Steel I have are about twice the size of Unique.

I still see Steel powder on the shelves these days so it's an option that I've found works quite well in larger calibers. In fact, I think I'm going to go load up some Steel later today in some 45 Colt cases to push around my 310 grain LFN style cast boolits for the Ruger Bisley 45 Colt. More close to home for you, I've loaded right around where you are at with Steel for my 454 Casull 7.5" barrel to achieve that 1,100-1,150 fps area but cant remember the charge right off hand. It was pleasant to shoot I do remember it was just a bit slower and required a touch more powder to achieve the same velocities vs BD.

Southern Shooter
04-27-2014, 08:22 PM
RobS,
I wonder, if I am getting an average of 1,150 FPS from a 2 1/2" barrel with this 315 grain boolit and Blue Dot, what would the velocity average from something like a 7 1/2" barrel?

RobS
04-27-2014, 09:04 PM
Oh probably another 100-150 fps or so if the powder's pressure curve doesn't flat line and start falling off while the boolit is still running in the bore. I suspect Blue Dot to possibly not see as much of an increase in velocity vs lets say H110 but I couldn't tell you for sure.

Southern Shooter
04-27-2014, 09:52 PM
I would like to get 1,200 FPS out the Alaskan with this 315 grain boolit. I really think that with the weight, meplat, and velocity that is all I will need for woods protection in any part of the U.S.

RobS
04-27-2014, 10:45 PM
Shouldn't be any problem to do and I would look toward 2400 as the next powder up from BD I believe. Good thing is 2400 isn't too flashy of a powder so you won't have a fireball and it is very flexible to pressure ranges. BD will get you there too with just a touch more powder but comes with more pressures vs 2400. The higher pressure isn't a biggy for the 454 Casull SRH Alaskan regards to strength but there will be more force on the cast boolit and possibly a bit snappier recoil.

Southern Shooter
04-27-2014, 11:11 PM
One of the concerns I have been considering, as has been seen in other of my threads, is my ability to control the gun under rapid fire situations. I would love to have this boolit smoking fast. But, that will do me no good if I can't control the revolver...put the boolits fast enough in the effective areas. At the 1,150 FPS mark, it was not difficult to manage. We shall see.

44man
04-28-2014, 07:52 AM
One of the concerns I have been considering, as has been seen in other of my threads, is my ability to control the gun under rapid fire situations. I would love to have this boolit smoking fast. But, that will do me no good if I can't control the revolver...put the boolits fast enough in the effective areas. At the 1,150 FPS mark, it was not difficult to manage. We shall see.
That velocity is just right for anything you can encounter. I have always thought the full power .454 was too much and needs expanding bullets.

Southern Shooter
05-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Well, I have started with 16 grains of Blue Dot with the Lee C452-300-RF dressing out at 315 grains. Moving up .5 grains at a time the groups continually tightened up until today's final load of 18 grains. I just shot a sample at each level to get a taste of the combination. I pulled one of the 4 shots...totally was not expecting the guy next to me to shoot and I flinched. LOL. But, the other 3 looked good at 15 yards. By the way, average velocity was 1,180 FPS.

One thing that I have noticed between using Blue Dot and W296 in this short-barrel revolver, I am NOT perceiving as much muzzle blast as I did with W296. Or, is it just my imagination?

I will work with this load for a while to make sure today was not a fluke. I think 1,180 FPS is sufficient velocity with this boolit. And, if the groups are consistently at this level I will be happy.

Johnch
05-10-2014, 09:54 PM
One thing that I have noticed between using Blue Dot and W296 in this short-barrel revolver, I am NOT perceiving as much muzzle blast as I did with W296. Or, is it just my imagination?

I will work with this load for a while to make sure today was not a fluke. I think 1,180 FPS is sufficient velocity with this boolit. And, if the groups are consistently at this level I will be happy.

You are right about the less muzzel blast with the blue dot loads
I have the 9" SRH in 454
Even in it , H110/296 still light thing up with full power loads

I long ago went with a HS6 load for deer hunting
Same bullet , maybe a 150 FPS faster
But I am sure your loads will work fine
As my load will go in the front of a nice White Tail Buck and exit out the far hind quarter

How dead dose a deer or what ever need to be ?
Your load should be just fine

John

RobS
05-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Nice shooting.