PDA

View Full Version : 44 Mag bullet mould need one free / or really cheap

Bigjake560
04-27-2014, 12:00 AM
Hey Guys, (and ladies)

Im working on a project and have almost run out of money. Im in need of a 44 mag Mold (.430/.429). at this point im not really picky on the size/weight I just need something so i can finish this project. any advice or help in locating something for this would be great.

im working on building a wildcat round and have bought everything i need and the only things i have left to finish the rifle is some 308 brass and some 44 Mag molds.

Again any help on where i can get these items would be great but please keep in mind im a full time student so im limited on the amount of funds i have to spend.

Thank you.
-Jake

bruce381
04-27-2014, 01:50 AM
maybe ebay but lee molds are <$20 at titan relaoding supply.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-27-2014, 02:08 AM
Like the man said, lee makes a couple of 240 gr and a 214 Gr +- with a set of handles ....$18-20 depending on where you buy them, it doesn't get any cheaper than that...good luck...Jim

shunka
04-27-2014, 03:13 AM
If you look around you can probably find a used Lee Mold for less than the new price of $20. One can take a smaller mold, like a .38 and
open it up with a lathe, mill or drill press to make a larger "custom" bullet.

there are are at least 3 colleges in Columbus Ga.
Go talk to your mechanical engineering dept, try to make friends in the "model shop(s)" .
check out your better equipped technical colleges or high schools. Some even offer night courses in the metal shops.
Somewhere, your college ought to have a "bench lathe" and somebody who knows how to use it.

Worst case scenario, you can make a "lost wax" mold and get anywhere from one to three bullets out of it.
google is your friend , in fact use this site's search feature for making molds, you *will* find a lot!

A youngster who goes by "Busyhands" made his own molds out of scrap with only a borrowed drillpress, so
with desire and ingenuity, it can be done .

StrawHat
04-27-2014, 06:23 AM
Bigjake560, If i had them, they'd be yours but I got away fromm 44 caliber (with one exception) several years ago and my molds went to a young shooter. The members of this board will come through for you, just be patient. Someone must have a Lee 2 cavity gathering dust!

Tatume
04-27-2014, 07:54 AM
If you look around you can probably find a used Lee Mold for less than the new price of $20.

Used Lee molds often sell for more than the price of a new one! Don't ask me why, because I don't know.

Airman Basic
04-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Used Lee molds often sell for more than the price of a new one! Don't ask me why, because I don't know.
Mostly 'cause Lee drops models from production, i.e. their excellent 44 full wadcutter. Can't have mine.

s mac
04-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Maybe You would have better luck asking for a few samples of other peoples Boolits, I know I could send you a few of 3 different moulds.

Blammer
04-27-2014, 12:15 PM
Sounds to me like you need to save a few bucks then get what you need to finish the project and stop begging.

sorry but I'm slightly offended.

Joined april of this year (it's still april) 2 posts and both asking for stuff.

Really?

Yes, I was a poor college student at one time too. Guess what, my priority wasn't building a wildcat or a project at the time, and it sure wasn't begging for stuff.

gray wolf
04-27-2014, 12:53 PM
Sounds to me like you need to save a few bucks then get what you need to finish the project and stop begging.

sorry but I'm slightly offended.

Joined april of this year (it's still april) 2 posts and both asking for stuff.

Really?

Yes, I was a poor college student at one time too. Guess what, my priority wasn't building a wildcat or a project at the time, and it sure wasn't begging for stuff.
I wondered about this also, but I didn't think I was in the position to say anything, But if I did say something I would have agreed with your post 100% Thank you for your post.

9w1911
04-27-2014, 01:27 PM
ah now I figured this out, I thought the two threads were the same,

W.R.Buchanan
04-27-2014, 01:53 PM
IF you can't afford $20 for a Lee mould then maybe you shouldn't be doing this?

Is somebody supposed to give you the gun too?

A friend once told me "Speed costs money,,, How fast do you want to go?"

If you're hitch hiking you ain't goin' anywhere fast.

Maybe you should concentrate on school.

Randy

Bigjake560
04-27-2014, 02:23 PM
If you look around you can probably find a used Lee Mold for less than the new price of $20. One can take a smaller mold, like a .38 and
open it up with a lathe, mill or drill press to make a larger "custom" bullet.

there are are at least 3 colleges in Columbus Ga.
Go talk to your mechanical engineering dept, try to make friends in the "model shop(s)" .
check out your better equipped technical colleges or high schools. Some even offer night courses in the metal shops.
Somewhere, your college ought to have a "bench lathe" and somebody who knows how to use it.

Worst case scenario, you can make a "lost wax" mold and get anywhere from one to three bullets out of it.
google is your friend , in fact use this site's search feature for making molds, you *will* find a lot!

A youngster who goes by "Busyhands" made his own molds out of scrap with only a borrowed drillpress, so
with desire and ingenuity, it can be done .

Thanks for the idea but im going to have to say i really like the idea about the colleges im a student a the local tech school and im goingto see what i can do about going in and talking to some of the teachers and see what i can work out with them.

Im also required to volunteer about 100 hours for one of my classes so im going to see if i can find a local gun smith and see what i might be able to work out with him as doing kind of an intern ship for a while. that way he would get some help and id learn some of his tricks and might be able to get that mould made after all.

Again thanks for the advice..

stubert
04-27-2014, 08:12 PM
What exactly, are you trying to do? You ask for help and give no details.

enfield
04-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Gotta agree with Blammer on this one.

butch2570
04-27-2014, 10:43 PM
Jake , go to OUR TOWN section the sub forum Helping Hands , you may receive some help there. Bull Shop jr is offering a lucky winner a new mold for a new caster , you may get your foot in the door..

Bigjake560
04-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Jake , go to OUR TOWN section the sub forum Helping Hands , you may receive some help there. Bull Shop jr is offering a lucky winner a new mold for a new caster , you may get your foot in the door..

Thanks for the help.

Bigjake560
04-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Thanks every one I have had some really great help and advice on another post on here about this situation.

Bigjake560
04-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Maybe You would have better luck asking for a few samples of other peoples Boolits, I know I could send you a few of 3 different moulds.

S Mac, that would be great if there all for the 44 mag id love to have some different size/styles.

If your interested I cast for a few different sizes myself and might have something you would want to try out.

all molds are Lee's

401-175-TC
TL452-230-TC
C501-440-RF
C309-120-R
TL309-230-5R
356-120-TC