PDA

View Full Version : Need Help need custom made bullet mold for 44 Mag

Bigjake560
04-26-2014, 11:31 PM
Im working on building a wildcat round and am in need of some help with a custom bullet mound. I have been looking into trying to make one for my self. however im a full time college student and have been trying every web sight i can find through google but cant find any way of making the mold i need with out large tools. I dont have a lot to spend on this and every place that i have found wants like a 175 set up fee and then another 25 for the mold I dont have 200 :( i can spend on a mold.

If anyone can give me some idea of how to make one with out having all the large tools (Lathe, Mill those kind of things) or know of someone who will not charge me an arm and a leg that would be great.

Thanks.
Jake.

freebullet
04-27-2014, 12:53 AM
Welcome to the forum.
You cant buy the tools to do it for that. There are enough calibers suitable for any use that I would caution you to wait on Wildcats till your budget/experience allows.

RobS
04-27-2014, 01:13 AM
A custom mold will not cost you that much. www.accuratemolds.com
www.mountainmolds.com These two are just two companies. You are limited only to their tooling capabilities which is really not very restricted.

A single or double cavity mold is $100 or less.

I've had these two great mold makers build me molds from my own bullet design on many occasions. Tom at Accurate Molds and Dan at Mountain Molds are two top notch craftsmen and their customer service is of the best in any business.

shunka
04-27-2014, 03:08 AM
there are are at least 3 colleges in Columbus Ga.
Go talk to your mechenical engineering dept, try to makes freinds in the "physical plant" or model shop(s).
Somewhere, your college ought to have a "bench lathe" and somebody who knows how to use it.

Worst case scenario, you can make a "lost wax" mold and get anywhere from one two three bullets out of it.

A youngster who goes by "Busyhands" made his own molds out of scrap with only a borrowed drillpress, so
with desire and ingenuity, it can be done .

dh2
04-27-2014, 03:17 AM
you do not say what it is that you are after, your cheaper way out may be to find some one that cast some thing close to what you want and buy a few. there is guy around casting every thing from the normal to some very odd stuff

badbob454
04-27-2014, 04:48 AM
seconds on accurate molds great prices and change the catalog bullets to suite your needs

Bigjake560
04-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the reply however i have already built/bought everything i need for this wildcat round the only thing im having issues with now is feeding issues and I need something like these where it has more of a point on the end to help with these issues.103343

9w1911
04-27-2014, 12:56 PM
what is going on in here?

dh2
04-27-2014, 01:22 PM
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=66
if you make changes to it the price will go up , but it is the closest thing that comes to mind

DougGuy
04-27-2014, 01:39 PM
Pointed boolits won't go in a tubular magazine, or a revolver cylinder, and they make boolits with a center of gravity and a nose proportionate to that center of gravity, for a reason. Some things just don't fly worth a dang and that's why you don't see them made or offered. Pretty much many generations of shooters/gunsmiths/tinkerers/geniuses and downright eccentric idiots have gone before you, their contributions that are worthy are adopted and in use today. Their ideas that were a waste of time and brain cells didn't make the cut and were proven faulty and ill conceived. You should research your boolit design with some of the mold designers on this forum and run your ideas by them before you jump off the diving board, they could likely save you a severely bumped head. It would likely be an educational foray that no college in the land could offer you, at any price.

It is likely you may adapt an existing boolit to fit your needs, which would be a prudent and practical effort rather than going where you are headed with those drawings.

Some have expressed their feelings about you coming on here and begging for free stuff right off the bat, I mean read our FAQs, show some respect, LURK and LEARN a while. It's one thing to have an idea that may seem well out of the ordinary, this would be a royal PITA to develop into a workable shootable boolit OR mold, and then you want it done for free? And I am to assume you want it yesterday too?

Mold designers/boolit designers build things for sale, they're not in the business of offering educational courses to the public, your college can teach you ballistics, and by the time you have enough of that in your background to assimilate your ideas into something that actually will work, you would probably feel pretty foolish looking back on the current course here that you are pursuing. Just sayin'

Piedmont
04-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Tell us what firearm you are putting these in. Someone might save you from an expensive mistake.

Bigjake560
04-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Pointed boolits won't go in a tubular magazine, or a revolver cylinder, and they make boolits with a center of gravity and a nose proportionate to that center of gravity, for a reason. Some things just don't fly worth a dang and that's why you don't see them made or offered. Pretty much many generations of shooters/gunsmiths/tinkerers/geniuses and downright eccentric idiots have gone before you, their contributions that are worthy are adopted and in use today. Their ideas that were a waste of time and brain cells didn't make the cut and were proven faulty and ill conceived. You should research your boolit design with some of the mold designers on this forum and run your ideas by them before you jump off the diving board, they could likely save you a severely bumped head. It would likely be an educational foray that no college in the land could offer you, at any price.

It is likely you may adapt an existing boolit to fit your needs, which would be a prudent and practical effort rather than going where you are headed with those drawings.

Some have expressed their feelings about you coming on here and begging for free stuff right off the bat, I mean read our FAQs, show some respect, LURK and LEARN a while. It's one thing to have an idea that may seem well out of the ordinary, this would be a royal PITA to develop into a workable shootable boolit OR mold, and then you want it done for free? And I am to assume you want it yesterday too?

Mold designers/boolit designers build things for sale, they're not in the business of offering educational courses to the public, your college can teach you ballistics, and by the time you have enough of that in your background to assimilate your ideas into something that actually will work, you would probably feel pretty foolish looking back on the current course here that you are pursuing. Just sayin'

Im only asking for help which I have received from a few of the guys in here. and they have had some really great ideas. im not asking any bullet/mold maker to make me one for free im really just needing help to gather ideas on how to proceed with my project.

and id like to say thanks to
DH2
shunka
RobS

you guys have given me some really great ideas on how to go about this
Thank you. [smilie=w:

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the reply however i have already built/bought everything i need for this wildcat round the only thing im having issues with now is feeding issues and I need something like these where it has more of a point on the end to help with these issues.103343
How about a Round nose ?

Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 429-240-2R 44 Special, 44 Remington Magnum, 44-40 WCF (429 Diameter) 240 Grain 2 Ogive Radius

for image:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/373417/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-429-240-2r-44-special-44-remington-magnum-44-40-wcf-429-diameter-240-grain-2-ogive-radius

9w1911
04-27-2014, 03:48 PM
How about a Round nose ?

Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 429-240-2R 44 Special, 44 Remington Magnum, 44-40 WCF (429 Diameter) 240 Grain 2 Ogive Radius

for image:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/373417/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-429-240-2r-44-special-44-remington-magnum-44-40-wcf-429-diameter-240-grain-2-ogive-radius

he has no idea what he wants with no clue why he wants it and he wants it for fee

Nueces
04-27-2014, 04:17 PM
I read his behavior as having been entirely gentlemanly. He's even shown some remarkable restraint.

jmort
04-27-2014, 04:35 PM
I don't see why there is a problem with this new member. He says he is in college and working on wildcat project. Hope he can figure it out and get solution. Tom at Accurate can probably get you a custom two cavity mold for around $100. That would save a whole lot of time and probably $$$

RobS
04-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Really don't know what you are looking for in a design or what your intended purpose is and I have no idea of what dimensions you need for nose length, bullet diameter, front drive band, if you need a Gas Check or not, nor do I know what bullet weight etc. but from the Mountain Molds site you can design what you want right from his online program.

As an example:
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt206/RobS01/44JPEG_zps68838234.jpg (http://s612.photobucket.com/user/RobS01/media/44JPEG_zps68838234.jpg.html)

Bigjake560
04-27-2014, 04:55 PM
How about a Round nose ?

for image:

Jon,

The problem im having is a feeding issue. I do need a round nose like you posted however i need a longer round nose. I need something like a 44mag diamater with the look of like a 308 head where it is round but sticks out of the brass a way.

9w1911,

I do not believe i ask for someone to make me one for free. All im looking is some help with my project from guys who know more or have more experience than i do. and as i was told there are several guys on here who have been very helpful.

RobS,

Thank you for the picture you attached, I was just playing with that program but im going to have to play with it a little more to get a better understanding of how to use it.

Im in need of something that will have a larger head sticking out of the brass after the round had been loaded.

Thank you for the response. every little but helps me get a little bit closer to finding what i need.

RobS
04-27-2014, 05:00 PM
How heavy of a boolit are you looking at needing??? and I'll bite, what is it that you are building. Does it use 44 mag brass? Is it a magazine fed, bolt action, single shot? More info. as to what this is for will help us a great deal in helping you.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-330J-D.png

Bigjake560
04-27-2014, 05:15 PM
How heavy of a boolit are you looking at needing??? and I'll bite, what is it that you are building. Does it use 44 mag brass? Is it a magazine fed, bolt action, single shot? More info. as to what this is for will help us a great deal in helping you.

That im not sure about currently im using a 310 grain that a friend of mine was making but What i would like to do is use something that looks close to that but with a longer head. I attached a picture to try and give you a better idea sorry not the best picture.

The first one is the one im using now. the second and third are more toward what im looking to make.(I need them to be longer than pictured but its just to give you an idea.)

Thanks.

Nueces
04-27-2014, 05:19 PM
Im in need of something that will have a larger head sticking out of the brass after the round had been loaded.

A couple of issues to point out here. A 44 boolit with a form factor like a 308 rifle slug is going to be very heavy. That may not matter if your case is based on rifle brass with more volume than a 44 magnum case. I'm thinking of, say, a 458 Winchester Magnum.

To limit the weight, you could consider seating a minimum of lead in the case neck. That would reduce space for lube grooves, but some folks here have been getting cool results by powder coating or High Tech coatings, which would eliminate the need for lube grooves.

I enjoy brainstorming.

Mark

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-27-2014, 05:27 PM
he has no idea what he wants with no clue why he wants it and he wants it for fee

Well, I'm not sure if that's true or not. I seen Bigjake's other thread and I see he's looking for some 308 brass and I seen on his profile page that his "homepage" is a website that's sells AR parts. I surmise this kid has a dream of building an AR-10 in 44 cal based on the 308 case.

BigJake,
Welcome to the best cast boolit website. I see you joined yesterday. I strongly recommend you read this thread if you want to be successful here.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?222520-Why-some-new-members-will-do-better-than-others-here

Also, to get 'good' help, you should probably offer details of your project. You're requests are vague to say the least. No doubt there are fellows here that might offer some boolits of various shapes that are currently readily available, probably your best option right now, Because ordering a custom mold without knowing "precisely" what you want, will likely not get you the optimum boolit for your project.
=============================

OK, I seen you posted while I was composing the above, answering some questions...

Jon,

The problem im having is a feeding issue. I do need a round nose like you posted however i need a longer round nose. I need something like a 44mag diamater with the look of like a 308 head where it is round but sticks out of the brass a way.

9w1911,

I do not believe i ask for someone to make me one for free. All im looking is some help with my project from guys who know more or have more experience than i do. and as i was told there are several guys on here who have been very helpful.

RobS,

Thank you for the picture you attached, I was just playing with that program but im going to have to play with it a little more to get a better understanding of how to use it.

Thank you for the response. every little but helps me get a little bit closer to finding what i need.
Seating depth will change how far your "head" sticks out of the cartridge case ;) If you can't find the boolit shape you think you need, Maybe you could get one that's close and do a little redneck machining to the projectiles, then test feeding of cartridges in your rifle. Then once you have the design NAILED down, that'd be the time to have a custom mold made, since you seem to be on a tight budget.

PS I have several molds, including the RN I posted a link to in my other post

dbosman
04-27-2014, 05:30 PM
I think -an- answer is a heavy bullet or lead round stock, a drill with a 1/2" chuck (I didn't say a 1/2 inch drill - I said chuck) and a way to hold it steady and some cutting tool(s). Patience and a bench vise can take care of part of the problem.

Bigjake560
04-27-2014, 05:31 PM

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-330J-D.png

ok i will try my best to get you more info

Its an AR-15 so Simi-auto mag fed.

I took the 44 Auto mag idea and made it a little larger.

Im having a little bit of an issue with the bullets feeding into the barrel so i need a longer head that is more rounded because the short flat head it getting caught in the mag.

If there is any other information you might need please let me know ill try my best to answer.

Thanks for all the help RobS

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Do you have a target boolit weight ? and a target boolit length ? and an idea of how much contact surface (boolit to rifling) ?
These will all effect accuracy in regards to rifle twist rate. how large is the chamber for such a large long nose (AKA: head stickign out of the case).

Bigjake560
04-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Well, I'm not sure if that's true or not. I seen Bigjake's other thread and I see he's looking for some 308 brass and I seen on his profile page that his "homepage" is a website that's sells AR parts. I surmise this kid has a dream of building an AR-10 in 44 cal based on the 308 case.

BigJake,
Welcome to the best cast boolit website. I see you joined yesterday. I strongly recommend you read this thread if you want to be successful here.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?222520-Why-some-new-members-will-do-better-than-others-here

Also, to get 'good' help, you should probably offer details of your project. You're requests are vague to say the least. No doubt there are fellows here that might offer some boolits of various shapes that are currently readily available, probably your best option right now, Because ordering a custom mold without knowing "precisely" what you want, will likely not get you the optimum boolit for your project.

OK, I seen you posted while I was composing the above, answering some questions...

Seating depth will change how far your "head" sticks out of the cartridge case ;) If you can't find the boolit shape you think you need, Maybe you could get one that's close and do a little redneck machining to the projectiles, then test feeding of cartridges in your rifle. Then once you have the design NAILED down, that'd be the time to have a custom mold made, since you seem to be on a tight budget.

PS I have several molds, including the RN I posted a link to in my other post

Jon your close, however its not going to be on the AR-10 its going to be on an AR-15 plat form. I have posted more information on another reply. If you need more information please let me know what kind of information you need and ill try my best to get everything needed to answer it.

9w1911
04-27-2014, 07:17 PM
ok I still dont get it, you are building a custom AR off the auto mag, I got it, but why not say that in the first place, why come here and ask for hand me downs, and that you do not have 20.00 for a Lee mold. Something just bugs me about how you went about this , but good luck anyway.

Bigjake560
04-27-2014, 07:58 PM
ok I still dont get it, you are building a custom AR off the auto mag, I got it, but why not say that in the first place, why come here and ask for hand me downs, and that you do not have 20.00 for a Lee mold. Something just bugs me about how you went about this , but good luck anyway.

9w1911

I came here seeking help. there have been several guys who have been very helpful on my project and leading me in the right direction with some great advice that has been very much needed.

Bigjake560
04-27-2014, 08:36 PM
A couple of issues to point out here. A 44 boolit with a form factor like a 308 rifle slug is going to be very heavy. That may not matter if your case is based on rifle brass with more volume than a 44 magnum case. I'm thinking of, say, a 458 Winchester Magnum.

To limit the weight, you could consider seating a minimum of lead in the case neck. That would reduce space for lube grooves, but some folks here have been getting cool results by powder coating or High Tech coatings, which would eliminate the need for lube grooves.

I enjoy brainstorming.

Mark

Ive been thinking that as well a little less lead going down into the case.

Thanks to RobS for his post I was able to get a better drawing of the kind of boolit im wanting to use for this round.

But i would have to say that everyone has been a great help with all these ideas.

RobS
04-27-2014, 08:51 PM
If you have the measurements to the chamber and throat/lands area of barrel this would provide you all the needed info to figure out exactly what you need for a custom mold i.e. nose length, front drive band, if you want to try a bore rider and so on and so forth. Creating a custom mold it would be good to ensure the mold is designed to work for your firearm other wise you'll have yourself a door stop.

Bigjake560
04-27-2014, 09:11 PM
If you have the measurements to the chamber and throat/lands area of barrel this would provide you all the needed info to figure out exactly what you need for a custom mold i.e. nose length, front drive band, if you want to try a bore rider and so on and so forth. Creating a custom mold it would be good to ensure the mold is designed to work for your firearm other wise you'll have yourself a door stop.

All the information i have on that should be in the following picture.103392

RobS
04-27-2014, 09:17 PM
All your pic. shows me is the cartridge OAL and the other cartridge dimensions. It doesn't provide me with the inside dimensions to the chamber and throat of your actual rifle barrel that you are trying to design a boolit for and then to provide said dimensions to a mold maker.

As you mentioned you would like a longer nose profile however currently it would be nearly impossible to know how to design such to ensure it doesn't hit the lands and rifling and push the lead boolit too deep in the case, farther than you want thus not allowing you to use your crimp groove or possibly even the design at all.

Outpost75
04-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Another thing to consider is that as you increase head length and elongate the ratio of bullet length to diameter, you are going to need a faster rate of rifling twist to stabilize the bullet. A worthwhile study in aerodynamics to study the gyroscopic stability factor and the flight characteristics of nutation and precession. Good topic for a Master's thesis building on your basic work down the road. Or just go to the artillery officer basic course at Fort Sill, OK.

butch2570
04-27-2014, 10:30 PM
I don't see why there is a problem with this new member. He says he is in college and working on wildcat project. Hope he can figure it out and get solution. Tom at Accurate can probably get you a custom two cavity mold for around $100. That would save a whole lot of time and probably $$$

I agree, maybe some should go to HELPING HANDS and read the sticky : THE GOAL..

country gent
04-27-2014, 10:56 PM
If the goal is getting it to feed. adjust the mag lips so the nose sits higher and dosnt catch. with the added dia of the bullet the lips may need to be shortened a little also. Slowly bending the front of the mag lips up will result in the nose sitting higher in the mag. AR mags are much cheaper than custom molds

Bigjake560
04-27-2014, 11:04 PM
If the goal is getting it to feed. adjust the mag lips so the nose sits higher and dosnt catch. with the added dia of the bullet the lips may need to be shortened a little also. Slowly bending the front of the mag lips up will result in the nose sitting higher in the mag. AR mags are much cheaper than custom molds

Oh... I have a few older GI mags that i just have sitting on the side im going to try that.. Thanks..

country gent
04-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Work slow and easy checking often. A 2 piece filler can be made from wood ( 2 pieces that when combined the thickness fills the mag box sungly) this allows the vox to be clamped in a vise with out crushing it. Done right the filler can become a form to "adjust other mags quick and easy.

Bigjake560
04-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Work slow and easy checking often. A 2 piece filler can be made from wood ( 2 pieces that when combined the thickness fills the mag box sungly) this allows the vox to be clamped in a vise with out crushing it. Done right the filler can become a form to "adjust other mags quick and easy.

I have lots of extra wood im not using for anything ill give that a try... thanks

M-Tecs
04-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Not cast but these may work http://www.hornady.com/store/44-Cal-.430-265-gr-FTX-for-444-Marlin/

Wayne Smith
05-02-2014, 11:11 AM
If you are not aware of it you ought to go to Dan's Mountain Molds website and play around with boolit design. You can learn a lot playing around with the parameters he has set up. My suggestion is that you do that and then come back here to ask some questions. You will be much more able to ask specifics after doing that.