PDA

View Full Version : Just a reminder for loading progressive

MBTcustom
04-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Look I know that some of you already have this down pat already, but it saved my bacon today.
What do you do when you are merily bee-boppin along yankin the handle of your Dillon press like it was a one armed bandit with a money leak, when you suddenly realize that you lost your decaping stem..........and its in some random piece of loaded ammo?
You know that could seriously jack something up shooting a 1/16" piece of hardened steel dowel down your barrel, but you really (and I mean really) don't want to pull down 200 rounds of ammo trying to find it!

Just grab your handy dandy magnetic wand and Use it like a witching stick. The piece of steel in the cartridge I'm holding up is only about 3/16" long and it was very easy to find which cartridge was the bad one. Worked better than I thought possible!
I just want to thank the membership of castboolits for bailing me out again, and thank God I can retain these minute details when I read them!

ph4570
04-26-2014, 07:02 PM
I did that with some loaded 5.56 when I discovered some unloaded cases with stuck SS pins. It worked well finding 2 of 200 rounds with pins. Now I inspect the inerds of all cases after cleaning with SS pins.

HollandNut
04-26-2014, 07:04 PM
you shoot them j werdz ??

eeekkkk

LAH
04-26-2014, 10:48 PM
When you loose a pin wouldn't you loose the ability to seat a fresh primer? Been loading a bunch of 9s & some of the primers don't decap but as soon as I raise the handle to seat a fresh primer it is evident something is wrong. Am I missing something here? It is past my bedtime.

MBTcustom
04-27-2014, 12:51 AM
The way this played out is that I was loading LC brass that had already been deprimed, sized and processed. All i had to do was run it throught the 550.
What hammened was that I had a primed case thrown into the tub of deprimed brass (don't remember, but I think I had a jam in the line, and rather than cull the primed brass, I thew it back in the ready to load bucket. When I tried to load a new primer on yop of primed brass, that was when I realized that my decapper was shot.

LAH
04-27-2014, 05:01 PM
Thanks Tim, you kept me from going crazy trying to figure it out.

angus6
04-27-2014, 11:26 PM
I never load rifle with anything but a Lee universal deprime die in station 2 so unless I break it there really isn't anything to fall in case

MBTcustom
04-28-2014, 01:02 AM
If youve got the deprime in station 2, then where do you dispense powder?
If depriming is in station 2, then what in the world do you use station 1 for?

r1kk1
04-28-2014, 08:55 AM
What die set was this Goodsteel?

Take care

r1kk1

MBTcustom
04-28-2014, 09:56 AM
That was a redding set.

r1kk1
04-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Thanks Goodsteel. I have had that experience one time myself, different brand.

Take care

r1kk1

dudel
04-28-2014, 11:20 AM
when you suddenly realize that you lost your decaping stem..........and its in some random piece of loaded ammo?

What am I missing? It's not in a random piece of ammo, it's in the one on the depriming station with the old used primer still in it. Trying to press a new primer into a non vacant primer pocket should be a clue.

Now for finding stray tumbling pins in brass, I can see some use.

Dan Cash
04-28-2014, 11:31 AM
What am I missing? It's not in a random piece of ammo, it's in the one on the depriming station with the old used primer still in it. Trying to press a new primer into a non vacant primer pocket should be a clue.

Now for finding stray tumbling pins in brass, I can see some use.

All brass but one was already deprimed.

Dan Cash
04-28-2014, 11:33 AM

Who knows, he is using Lee.:kidding:

angus6
04-28-2014, 12:10 PM

Station 1 feeds in a pre processed case, station 2 insures the flash hole is clear , station 3 idle , station 4 primes case, staion 5 charges the case station 6 powder check , station 7 seating and station light crimp

The Lee's on another bench