PDA

View Full Version : C-Clamping Tools

enfieldphile
04-26-2014, 04:04 PM
That Starrett Co. sure makes a fancy C-Clamp! There's numbers on the handle, so's you know how far down it's clamped. What will they think of next! :kidding:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/StarrettJoke_zps0cd09a1b.jpg

Sorry, guys, I couldn't resist! :bigsmyl2:

bedbugbilly
04-26-2014, 06:15 PM
That clamp handle is going to be in the way . . . I'd take it off and put the handle in the down position under the bench. The nice thing is, I think they feel those clamps in "sets" of different sizes - so you can tackle any job that comes along! :-)

JASON4X4
04-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Lol I'm sure someone will get upset

jmorris
04-26-2014, 11:07 PM
Lol I'm sure someone will get upset

As I am shaking my head...

jmorris
04-26-2014, 11:09 PM
Maybe a Visegrip clamped to it would provide sufficient clamping force.

seagiant
04-27-2014, 12:37 AM
Hi,
OUCH! That hurts! Hope Randy Buchanan does not see that!:veryconfu

mdi
04-27-2014, 11:39 AM
When I first saw the pic, my stomach did a flip (working on first cuppa coffee). It took me a few seconds to realize it's a funny...:mrgreen:

starmac
04-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Reminds me of a few things my son got knots on his head for when he was a kid. lol

enfieldphile
04-28-2014, 04:33 AM
Glad I could give everyone a chuckle or two! :)

w5pv
04-28-2014, 06:11 AM
This Ironworker picked up a set from the work table and was actually useing them for c-clamp and a Millwright that owned the told him "Hey man those are Mikes not c-clamps.The iron worker to him he didn't care who they blonged to he was using them at the present.

6bg6ga
04-28-2014, 06:13 AM
I feel sick

W.R.Buchanan
05-04-2014, 03:12 AM
Whereas I can understand some peoples affinity for Starrett Micrometers and Calipers you can count me out on this one, and the use of that big mic for a C clamp is not too offensive to me. I have in fact (Horror of Horrors) used a 1" one that I have had for 50 years as a C clamp frequently for about the last 45 years. It still will yield somewhat accurate measurements but I hardly ever use it for measuring.

IE: I personally think they Suck. I graduated to Swiss mics along time ago. However where Starrett really excels is with their layout tools, like squares, scales, vee blocks, punches, and they have the cutest little layout hammer with a magnifying glass in the head for positioning your prick punch accurately on layout lines. NOBODY ELSE has anything like this, and whereas I would love to have one,,, one has not came to me yet. When building machines I actually do layout hole positions and use layout lines and punches and my 4 oz. ball peen hammer that I have had since 1980, and I use my Starrett Combination Square and 4" Layout Square regularly. All of these tools were bought or acquired second hand. I do take care of my stuff and these tools will outlast me for sure.

I got over Starrett measuring tools after I bought my first set of Very Expensive Starrett Calipers and found them to NOT have a Rack Cover which invites chips, which in turn slips the pinion when you run over the unseen chip that has come from who knows where, thus causing the tool to be useless and in need of professional help. After the second trip to the Metrology Lab for repairs mine were sold at a motorcycle swap meet for nearly as much as I paid, to someone who wasn't a machinist who needed his tools to work every day. They were replaced with a used set of Tesa Calipers that I still use everyday for the last 30 years.

The actual micrometer design of their instruments was and is circa 1920, and as such there are so many better ones out there that there is no need to pay a premium for dated tools. I have been using Tesa and Etalon Micrometers for my entire career. I have 0-3 Tesas and 0-9 Etalons/ I also have a 2-6" Scherr Tumico multi mike tool but it doesn't get used very often and I'll probably sell it on Ebay some day.

The thing is that unless you work at many different shops and/or study tool catalogs you never find out about half the stuff that is available. You need the variety of mentors to become a well rounded machinist and learn what is good and what is not so good.

Randy

W5pv: I was that Millwright!

Garyshome
05-04-2014, 08:05 AM
Are you sure that that is not a Micrometer? C clamps are cheap enough thast you don't have to use it for that.

largom
05-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Have been at consignment auctions where the auctioneer called them clamps!

Larry