PDA

View Full Version : What Alloy for published data?

bigcountry
04-26-2014, 11:58 AM
So, what alloy do most mold makers use for published weight?

Like if I have a lyman 405gr .458 mold, should they weight this for pure lead, lyman 2, Linotype, etc?

Thanks

bigcountry
04-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Think I got my answer from Lyman FAQ. I think lyman uses #2 for most of their molds. Maybe not for roundball?

RobS
04-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Yep Lyman specs their smokeless powder molds for Lyman #2 alloy. I can't remember what Lee does but remember reading it once or twice and never read anything on RCBS or Saeco/Redding molds.

Dusty Bannister
04-26-2014, 12:35 PM
RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1 says they use 1-10.
Saeco/Redding says they use 2-6-92.

jhalcott
04-26-2014, 01:57 PM
I believe LEE uses wheel weight alloy. Lyman # 47 shows different alloys for different category molds, that is pistol or rifle mold. They show Lyman #2 in most cartridges but Linotype in the 44 mag. Since you MUST start low and work up I do not see a reason to worry about it. I always test my loads in wetpack for penetration and expansion after accuracy tests but before hunting with them.

RobS
04-26-2014, 02:25 PM
I believe LEE uses wheel weight alloy. Lyman # 47 shows different alloys for different category molds, that is pistol or rifle mold. They show Lyman #2 in most cartridges but Linotype in the 44 mag. Since you MUST start low and work up I do not see a reason to worry about it. I always test my loads in wetpack for penetration and expansion after accuracy tests but before hunting with them.

Interesting on the 44 mag alloy from each edition. My Lyman 48th Edition Reloading Handbook shows #2 for 44Mag and 454 Casull, heck most all handgun and rifle loads are #2 but did notice as I was flipping through that 38 special and 357mag they used Linotype. Maybe that's what they had lying around when they did their testing or something but I do think despite the Lyman reloading manuals they spec their non BP molds with #2.