PDA

View Full Version : First Time Shooting A Flintlock

The Goose
04-26-2014, 10:08 AM
I received my new flintlock about 2 weeks ago, but was too busy to make it to the range. Yesterday I made it and all I can say is WOW! Really fun. The rifle is a copy of a JJ Henry Scrollguard made by Steve Losey. Has a 44" Rice barrel in .54. I posted some photos earlier, but if you missed it see below.

I used a .530 ball with a lubed .010 patch and 70 grains of FFG as a starting load and FFFFG as a priming powder. I set up a target at 50 yards just to see what my new rifle could do. I ended up firing 12 shots off the bench with a damp wipe of the bore in between each shot. Below is a picture of my target.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l299/sgoselin/20140425_120422_resized_zps75ff41c7.jpg (http://s99.photobucket.com/user/sgoselin/media/20140425_120422_resized_zps75ff41c7.jpg.html)

The top hole was my first shot followed by the next 3 moving downward till I got the hang of it. The one ragged hole is 8 consecutive shots. I could not be happier with my rifles performance. I am so hooked. Next time I will move it out to 100 yards and start figuring out what she can do.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l299/sgoselin/DSC03022_zpsf4e4d84e.jpg (http://s99.photobucket.com/user/sgoselin/media/DSC03022_zpsf4e4d84e.jpg.html)

gmsharps
04-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Great shooting.

gmsharps

fouronesix
04-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Yes! Great shooting. Just shows what they are capable of. The problem (for me anyway) with 100 yards is sight picture resolution. It'll be interesting to see what you can do at the longer range.

dondiego
04-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Wow! great shooting and nice looking rifle!

mooman76
04-26-2014, 11:06 AM
And to think it isn't even broke in yet. great shooting and gun!

waksupi
04-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Why, every one knows a flinter won't shoot like that! What are you trying to pull? :kidding:

Garyshome
04-26-2014, 12:59 PM
That thing looks as long as my truck!

nicholst55
04-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Great looking rifle and nice looking target, too! For me, getting past the CLICK - WHOOSH - BANG! locktime was a bit difficult, until I got things sorted out. Now I realize that a properly set up flintlock is at least as fast as a caplock - or very nearly so. Follow through is still important, but I have decided that rocklocks truly do rock!

Hanshi
04-26-2014, 02:52 PM
Beautiful rifle. With Rice barrels having (normally) radius grooves, you might want to experiment with thicker patching. A snug load reduces fouling. Still, can't complain about the fine accuracy you are getting.

Pb2au
04-26-2014, 03:27 PM
When I first fired a flinter, same thing. I was hooked like a fish.

kens
04-26-2014, 04:37 PM
Great looking rifle and nice looking target, too! For me, getting past the CLICK - WHOOSH - BANG! locktime was a bit difficult, until I got things sorted out. Now I realize that a properly set up flintlock is at least as fast as a caplock - or very nearly so. Follow through is still important, but I have decided that rocklocks truly do rock!

That is why I refer to them as "Flinchlocks"
If you get past the flinching, then you are a real shooter.
Think about it, you are not supposed to flinch with any firearm, so whats the big deal about flintlocks,,,,right????

If you can practice enough with a flintlock, and get past the 'flinching',,, then the next time you pick up a modern gun you will be happily on target quite nicely.
But then again, if you master a flintlock, then you are already on target quite nicely.

PM me and I may be able to help you speed up the ignition time on that. There are some tricks involved and I don't know if you have then applied.

nekshot
04-27-2014, 01:26 PM
flinchlocks, now that is funny! Nice gun and good shooting!

Green Lizzard
04-27-2014, 08:59 PM
a good properly set up flinter is as fast or faster than a caplock

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-30-2014, 02:25 PM
I must still need the schooling on how to make it faster , I have gotten to 100% ignition the gun i started with was much less than that when i got a hold of it , now i need more help with the time between wooosh and boom

smokeywolf
04-30-2014, 02:46 PM
The old flinters are just all kinds of fun and much more accurate than many would believe.

MadHamster
04-30-2014, 03:23 PM
I must still need the schooling on how to make it faster , I have gotten to 100% ignition the gun i started with was much less than that when i got a hold of it , now i need more help with the time between wooosh and boom
Start with the basic stuff
1) Load with a "needle" stuffed in the vent hole while loading
2) too fine powder on the pan is bad for ignition
3) make sure the vent hole is not covered in priming powder
4) too much priming powder is bad too
5) scrub the vent hole with a brush time to time
6) In ideal situation both ends of went hole are concave

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-30-2014, 04:11 PM
where in the pan should the vent hole sit , if you think of the pan as the bottom half of a clock this one sits about 8 o'clock I was thinking ist should sit about 6 o'clock but I don't know how i would change that

I bought some pipe cleaners the kind actually for a pipe not the craft ones and clean the vent after a few shots

I was using 3fg in the pan and the barrel

Green Lizzard
04-30-2014, 09:12 PM
green
some call it the sunset position, good tips on keeping vent clear and open, all you want in there is fire. also a high polish on pan surface seems to help sparks dance around instead of bouncing off

waksupi
05-01-2014, 02:11 AM
As was said, sunset position for the vent. Look over the top flat of the pan, and half of the vent hole should be visible. Don't worry about it if it is forward or back bit, it will still work fine.

jimb16
05-01-2014, 03:21 PM
You don't want the hole at the bottom of the pan. The powder has to burn down to the hole that way delaying ignition. Lay a razor blade on top of the pan. Ideally, the top half of the vent should be above the blade. That is best for fast ignition. And don't overfill the pan. Learn just how little powder it takes for consistant ignition and don't use more priming than that. There are a number of lock tuning things that can be done as well, but I'll leave that for others to explain.

doc1876
05-30-2014, 06:46 PM
also always use a very small amount of 4f in the pan, less is faster.

a.squibload
06-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Of COURSE you tore the middle outta the target,
that barrel is halfway there!
:-P
Nice rifle.