PDA

View Full Version : H&R Officers Model 45-70 TD

omgb
04-26-2014, 12:55 AM
I had a lot of fun with my H&R Officer's Trapdoor earlier this week. The gun really wants to shoot well using BP loads but dang, that 10 lb trigger and all that gritty creep is making it hard to do. I wound up corresponding with Lee Shaver who tells me for under $100 he can give me a nice clean 3lb trigger so tomorrow, off she goes. We'll have to see how it works out. FWIW, Pedersoli would sell me a set trigger set up for $245 but it would need a gunsmith to install it so I'm putting my money on Lee.

M-Tecs
04-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Lee does nice work. You will be happy.

smkummer
04-26-2014, 05:52 PM
I love shooting my repro officers model. Dixie has the wood pistol grip and they get it from some Italian firm. Its worth the $55 and it comes with the longer screw. I have yet to add a rifle rear sight to mine but I really like the rear peep. I also have a lace on leather recoil pad; it looks period and it softens the pump of the mild steel butt plate. I am shooting a lyman 350 grain bullet and 14.6 grains unique for about 1300 FPS. I can smack a 10 in. AR500 plate at 200 yards all day long. Lots of fun and cheap. I just decap the brass, prime, flare the case mouth, add power and bullet and slightly crimp. No full resizing when used in the same gun. 100 brass cases lasts forever or until my shoulder gives out.

Larry Gibson
05-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Here's my LBH Carbine and OM with original M1879 sights installed. The LBH originally had the pistol grip on it but I put it on the OM which is then more "authentic".

Larry Gibson

missionary5155
05-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Greetings
Those are two fine looking Trapdoors !!
Mike in Peru

Gunor
05-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Larry,

Any gunsmiths in the Pacific NW that can install my 1879 sight on my H&R O/M.

Or Lee Shaver?

Thanks

Geoff in rainy north coast...

Larry Gibson
05-03-2014, 08:22 PM
John Taylor up Tacoma way (member here) certainly can but he's in awful demand (good work makes it so). Actually any good gunsmith worth his salt with a good Drill press with mill table can do it. I used a Forster D&T fixture and used 6x48 (standard scope and sight base threads) base screws. Got the distance from the front of the receiver and hole spacing from original TDs. I'd do it for you but I live down Arizona way now.

I'm sure Lee can do it also as he does excellent work also.

Larry Gibson

Gunor
05-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Larry,
Thanks for the info on the gunsmithing. I did buy the sight on ebay.... When I first got the rifle.

Geoff, and still raining...

BTW - I am making razor clam chowder. The wife said get rid last year clams, before I start filling the freezer with this years.......