PDA

View Full Version : Got it done, Commander slide on full size 1911 frame.

Ithaca Gunner
04-26-2014, 12:25 AM

It took awhile, I started looking in March for a reasonable priced Commander slide for my G.I. frame and just got it today. I got a late model Colt 1991 A-1 slide with an LPA rear sight, (I think I'll switch sights with my full length Springfield slide) for the price, I can't complain, $325.00 shipped. Fit right on, but I did have to remove the firing pin block to shoot it on the old G.I. frame. Test fired only for function so far, it works fine. Maybe I'll make it to the range tomorrow. Oh, and I had to modify a G.I. grip safety to mount the Commander hammer.

osteodoc08
04-26-2014, 04:47 AM
Looks good. Have you shot it yet?

This is a popular combination. Kimber has done this for years with their "Pro" series.

woodsxdragon
04-26-2014, 09:47 AM
I've wanted to do it one size down... commander frame with officers slide. I've got a full size and a 3" and i need a full size frame for my big hands.

Ithaca Gunner
04-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Just test fired so far. Had a heck of a time finding a Commander top end at a reasonable price, seems like the guys on Gun Broker think they're worth upwards of $600.00, (yeah, that's just for a slide assy). Picked this one up on flea bay for $325.00 w/free shipping, so I don't feel too beat-up over it. Would rather have gotten a Series 70 or earlier, but this one fits like it was built for the G.I. frame, so if it shoots good, great. If not, I have the small parts to tighten it up.

Ithaca Gunner
04-26-2014, 10:04 AM
I've wanted to do it one size down... commander frame with officers slide. I've got a full size and a 3" and i need a full size frame for my big hands.

I know what you mean about the big hands. I looked into Olympic arms, they list shorty slides for standard frames, but aren't making them right now. Numerich used to list shorty kits, (3.5" I think) but no more. You could look into what Sarco has, brand new Para Ordinance slides, (lots of variations).

I just wanted something a little less muzzle heavy, and the Commander length seems to be what I've been looking for.

gray wolf
04-26-2014, 12:01 PM
Just saying here, but that front sight looks a little low for the rear sight.
Nice build

Ithaca Gunner
04-26-2014, 02:03 PM
Just saying here, but that front sight looks a little low for the rear sight.
Nice build

It does look that way in the picture, not so much holding it though. Both sights are actually about the same height as on the Springfield slide next to it. I'll find out next week when I shoot it on paper. Lot's of adjustment in the rear, so I'm not real concerned with the front at this point.

DougGuy
04-26-2014, 02:27 PM
I found vintage Commander complete uppers on fleabay in the $300 - $400 range. Those are my favorites. Nice looking gun, 8+1 Commander is my favorite 1911 besides a parkerized as-issued WWII Colt.

I wouldn't cut the dust cover on that frame either!

Ithaca Gunner
04-26-2014, 05:23 PM
I found vintage Commander complete uppers on fleabay in the $300 - $400 range. Those are my favorites. Nice looking gun, 8+1 Commander is my favorite 1911 besides a parkerized as-issued WWII Colt.

I wouldn't cut the dust cover on that frame either!
I agree Doug, there's nothing done to the frame that would hinder it's being put back to it's original WWII G.I. configuration in about 20 minutes.

Artful
04-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Nice, I will always love 1911's

gray wolf
04-26-2014, 09:48 PM
It does look that way in the picture, not so much holding it though. Both sights are actually about the same height as on the Springfield slide next to it. I'll find out next week when I shoot it on paper. Lot's of adjustment in the rear, so I'm not real concerned with the front at this point.
Thank you, I thought it could have been something to do with the picture, that's why I said ( just saying )
Hope it shoots well for you, the 1911 is one of my favorite pistols.

Ithaca Gunner
04-26-2014, 11:02 PM
Thank you, I thought it could have been something to do with the picture, that's why I said ( just saying )
Hope it shoots well for you, the 1911 is one of my favorite pistols.

Thanks gray wolf, I have lots of cast loads waiting for a chance to try it out when I get time. I haven't had a Commander length 1911 in a long time, I can't remember being without a full size though. I just decided I needed a Commander, no other explanation.

Boogieman
04-26-2014, 11:23 PM
You might want to look at a S&A 1peace main spring housing-mag. well. I put one on my Colt O.M. It makes the grip about the same length as my 1991A1. I wanted the arched main spring housing and the extra length feels good too.