PDA

View Full Version : Cut some inlays today

MBTcustom
04-25-2014, 11:05 PM
I have a client that needs some pearl inlays on his rifle. He wants a bear holding a fish on one side and a moose on the other. I flicked my visor down and got to work:
I really struggled with these ones. I just couldn't decide how to cut the bear out so that he had more definition, and the moose dang near gave me an ulcer because there was so many little parts that could snap off as I was sawing him out.
Alls well that ends well though because I was happy with the results.
Times like this, I'm really glad I never cut cost on saw blades! Really makes a difference.

waksupi
04-25-2014, 11:22 PM
You should work that wet. The dust is poison as hell.

bangerjim
04-25-2014, 11:52 PM
I've done marquetry work like that in the past, working in wood veneers, ivory, and silver.

For silver, I use my gold roller to make thin sheets of pure silver, lay out the shapes, and used a jeweler's saw and a crow's foot. That stash of old silver came in handy! Ivory came from an old piano factory back when they used to make REAL ivory keys! Now days, you have to use the fake plastic resin stuff......just not the same.

Used for inlays on antique music boxes and other 1800's vintage antiques I was restoring.

Tedious but very rewarding when finished.

Good job, Tim! Now get those gravers out and a little black shoe polish and add some line details to really set them off. :drinks:

bangerjim

MBTcustom
04-26-2014, 12:08 AM
You should work that wet. The dust is poison as hell.

It's no fun to breath, but it's not poisonous. That's a myth.
Still, I constantly blow it way from me and off the work, and I have a rule about washing hands when ever I walk out of the shop. It's cheap insurance.

w5pv
04-26-2014, 07:33 AM
You are a very talented person you make me envious.

Garyshome
04-26-2014, 07:42 AM
Nice work!

Hickok
04-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Outstanding!

Just Duke
04-26-2014, 05:40 PM
Very well done. If you want any inlay pointers I can send you to the Martin Guitar Building Forum I'm on.

MBTcustom
04-26-2014, 06:30 PM
Very well done. If you want any inlay pointers I can send you to the Martin Guitar Building Forum I'm on.

LOL! That's where I learned to do this! On instruments! LOL!

Just Duke
04-26-2014, 06:45 PM
LOL! That's where I learned to do this! On instruments! LOL!

Oh Duh! I forgot you did Banjo's.

Just Duke
04-26-2014, 06:46 PM
It's been a long time since I have seen anyone using a fret saw.

MBTcustom
04-26-2014, 06:59 PM
That's not a fret saw. It's a jewelers saw. Same concept but much smaller.

Just Duke
04-26-2014, 07:13 PM
That's not a fret saw. It's a jewelers saw. Same concept but much smaller.

Where did you get the saw and the patterns?

Just Duke
04-26-2014, 07:18 PM
Can you make Sasquatch inlays? I can provide a pic of my mother in law as a reference.

LynC2
04-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Can you make Sasquatch inlays? I can provide a pic of my mother in law as a reference.

LOL, but you might find yourself being NUKED if the wife sees that!

Very nice work Tim, you are one talented individual. :drinks:

MrWolf
04-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Beautiful work and ouch on the mother-in-law :veryconfu

MBTcustom
04-27-2014, 12:53 AM

I found the saw and blades for it on ebay. I made the patterns myself.

waksupi
04-27-2014, 01:17 AM
Most hobby shops carry the jewelers saws. Especially if they have model building parts. I'm one of the country's largest consumers of blades. Broke three today making a brass inlay, once caused by self inflicted dumbassery.

freebullet
04-27-2014, 01:31 AM
Very nice work!

Stephen Cohen
04-27-2014, 05:44 AM
I love to see this sort of thing it brings back fond memories of my trade. Gee Duke I'm Australian and even I liked the mother in law joke, it was a joke right.

MBTcustom
04-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Most hobby shops carry the jewelers saws. Especially if they have model building parts. I'm one of the country's largest consumers of blades. Broke three today making a brass inlay, once caused by self inflicted dumbassery.

So Rick, tell me how you tune the blade?
I find that for easy to cut stuff like wood, It gives me a lot more control if I stretch it tight because the soft stuff drags more. When I'm doing pearl though, I tune it about an octave lower. I use antilope brand blades and so far they are the bom-diggety, but every now and then I find one that breaks after only a few strokes, then I'll find one that I can wear the teeth off of.
For instance, on the moose, I started the cut at his butt, and I was able to go all the way over his back, around his horns, and down his nose before I broke the first blade. I broke three more getting around his legs.
Do you recon that was the blade, or the way I had it tuned?

waksupi
04-27-2014, 10:13 AM
I don't know, I tend to run them pretty tight. I've not cut mother of pearl since I built my mandolin, most of my cutting is silver and brass. A drop of oil seems to help quite a bit.

Doc Highwall
04-27-2014, 10:34 AM
I wonder if something like Bullplate lube or the Frog lube wiped in the blade would help.

MBTcustom
04-28-2014, 01:07 AM
I wonder if something like Bullplate lube or the Frog lube wiped in the blade would help.

I could see it for metals, but I dont k ow about pearl. This stuff is hard and brittle. Ill try it next time.

Just Duke
04-28-2014, 01:10 AM
I think you should give canning/paraffin wax a try. That's what I use on my handsaw blades and hand planes.

MBTcustom
04-28-2014, 07:16 AM
I think you should give canning/paraffin wax a try. That's what I use on my handsaw blades and hand planes.

I'll try that sometime.
Tell ya what though, im still trying to figure how im going to keep track of my pencil line through the oil/wax?
Hmmmm. Ill think on it.

Just Duke
04-28-2014, 07:59 AM
I can imagine a Martin Guitar kit build with your MOP fret makers done with the Moose. OK with you if I put that on my wish list?

MBTcustom
04-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Fine by me.
I can cut you out anything. Up to and including a roadkilled possum with little gold toes and the ruby eyes. LOL!

waksupi
04-28-2014, 11:12 AM
I'll try that sometime.
Tell ya what though, im still trying to figure how im going to keep track of my pencil line through the oil/wax?
Hmmmm. Ill think on it.

Wax the blade, not the work piece. I keep a bar of ski wax at the band saw, and have used it on other metal saw blades.

Baja_Traveler
04-28-2014, 11:44 AM
I cut my one project and had a lot of fun doing it - inlayed MOP on my .22 Silhouette gun forearm on both sides. Got the blades from Steward MacDonald, the MOP from a guy on Ebay by the pound. I have lots and lots of the MOP left over, have to think of a new project to do and expand my skills beyond the simple shapes...

bangerjim
04-28-2014, 01:24 PM

A good source of saws and blades is timesavers.com

That is where I get all my clock repair supplies from.

banger

Bad Water Bill
04-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Over 30 years ago I visited Rio Grande

http://www.riogrande.com/Home

and have never regretted ordering their catalog.

Tons of tips (your jewelers blade needs to piiiiing when tightened correctly)

Lube your blade with bees wax before sawing.

The thinner the metal the more teeth.

When cutting any shell wear a respirator as the stuff is toxic.

There is a platform you can make out of a piece of pallet wood (thin but strong) that will better support your metal and reduce blade breakage.

I made many maple leaf pendants using copper and a lighter to create many nice colorations on the leaf of a small size.

Just learning,buy cheap blades by the gross.

Goodsteal is now qualified to but the expensive ones as they stay sharp a loooong time but are easier to break.

Bad Water Bill
04-30-2014, 09:20 AM
If you think mother of pearl is colorful check out "PAUA SHELL_

https://www.google.com/search?q=paua+shell+meaning&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LvdgU7q4FqXiyAG0_4CwAg&ved=0CFkQsAQ&biw=1017&bih=486

andremajic
04-30-2014, 02:32 PM
Bill, Is that abalone?

Bad Water Bill
04-30-2014, 03:05 PM
IIRC It is in that family

It has been 30 years since I purchased any or followed the business.

At that time only the islanders were permitted to collect any shells.

Things probably have changed since then.

Rio also carries many types of inlay materials as well as a staff that are more than willing to

answer any questions about ANY product they sell.

I called them last month and found that my old dealer # and records were on file.

MBTcustom
04-30-2014, 03:10 PM
Bill, Is that abalone?

Yes it is. I actually have a few raw shells ready to be processed. Abalone is very very colorful and its easy to overdo it when inlaying. The rules of inlaying are 1.Understated elegance, and 2. Less is more.

Thanks for the info Bill. I use a 3/16" aluminum plate with a slot cut in it to support the work. I started with a piece of hardwood, but fine details require a very solid edge to cut near.

I love inlay, and I hope to do more of this work in the future. It takes a bit of skill to master, but if you have a good eye and a good imagination, and are able to keep from going too far with the bling bling, it can really make a nice piece superb.
The way I see it, cutting into a gunstock is a sin. Doesn't' matter if you are checkering, or inlaying, or bedding. It's wrong to harm that wood. I try to apologize for that sin by doing excellent work.
It's exactly like a tattoo. When you're done, you have changed what God made to look like something else, and it will never be the same again. You better make it look good! LOL!

UBER7MM
05-01-2014, 08:57 PM
I have a client that needs some pearl inlays on his rifle. He wants a bear holding a fish on one side and a moose on the other. I flicked my visor down and got to work:

Tim,
You are a true artisan! I wish I could do that.

MBTcustom
05-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Wax only works with metals, bone, wood and fiberous materials. I havnt had any good luck with loading the blade with any sort of lubricant when cutting pearl.
however, when cutting fiberous or materials or metal, ive never tryed this "surfers wax" I've only ever used beeswax. Might have to give it a try.