PDA

View Full Version : Watch for bars of Hi-Flo and Vaculoy!

bangerjim
04-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Any of you guys that live around an area where they do wave soldering (and will let you into the scrap yards!), keep a sharp eye for long shiny (!) 1Kg bars very well marked "Hi-Flo SMG" and "Vaculoy" wave solder bars.

Hi-Flo is Sn63/Pb37 (rotometals charges almost $21/bar for this stuff)

Vaculoy is Sn96/Ag3/Cu0.5

Nice stuff! Just found a 3/4 full 5 gallon bucket of the stuff. [smilie=w:

Check out specs on-line at Alpha Metals site if interested...search for either trade name.

bangerjim :guntootsmiley:

62chevy
04-25-2014, 09:21 PM
That's how you want to score big !!!

RogerDat
04-26-2014, 10:11 AM
I have some of those vaculoy bars, found at a scrap yard. Nice to know the composition. And that the composition is nice.

Edit: Mine are stamped as 63/37 and EN so I'm guessing that is Eutectic solder. Not as good but darn nice all the same

captaint
04-27-2014, 11:07 AM
I think Vaculoy is merely a brand name. I could come in various mixes. I have some that are 63/37. I don't thing they're all necessarily 63/37 though. Mine were used in wave soldering also. Heck, I used to run the machine. It was cool. Mike

rockrat
04-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Bought some of that Vaculoy from someone here, years ago. The tin/silver/copper ratios sound just about right.

bangerjim
04-27-2014, 12:55 PM
The make-up %'s are right off the Alpha Metals website. I did not make that up or guess!

And the bars are clearly printed with the make-up, brand name, and manufacturer....even lot numbers!

The modern electronics industry takes their wave soldering very seriously! Not just some roll of garbage they buy at Radio Shack!

banger